Reclaiming payments into pension fund upon leaving Germany

131 posts in this topic

2. The website I found says that you can only yank out your Rentenversicherung if you don't plan on coming back for 2 years.

Check again, it should say that you can only submit your claim after you have lived at least 2 years outside Germany.

If your idea is - as it sounds - to have the money ready and available shortly after returning to the US, sorry - won't work that way. You'll have to stay two years outside Germany BEFORE you can apply for the refund of your share (!!!) of public pension contributions. That then will take some serious paperwork before you'll actually get it...and if I am not totally mistaken, the US has bilateral agreements which make this refund actually impossible, but I could be wrong to this regards.

Cheerio

I am a professional independent insurance broker, financial adviser, and authorised advertiser. Contact me.

Hi Experts,

Possibly a brainstorming scenario of a friend of mine, who is unable to post his query himself owing to his "limited" English skills :( . Would be great if anyone could share his/her thoughts or provide some relevant links.

Situation: German presently staying in a far east land not having dual citizenship treaty with Germany. Wishes to give up his German nationality to become a citizen of that country.

Question: What happens to his almost 10Y of pension contributions in Germany? Is it still possible for him to draw out his own contributions once he becomes a non-EU national? Or it is absolutely impossible since he "was" a German citizen earlier?

thanks!

Provided said country isn't Turkey, Israel or Japan and that the person did not voluntarily contribute before 1972 - yes.

See also this brochure (a bit old, but iirc this hasn't changed).

It is possible to get a refund of pension contributions when you are living in America. Yes, you have to be outside of Germany for more than 2 years in order to be able to apply.

If you don´t want to deal with the pension authorities and do the paperwork go to http://www.rohdewald-consulting.com/social-security-money there is also a FAQ section which should answer some more questions.

benny4, do you have any other websites that says it's possible in the USA? According to the Deutsche Rentenversicherung booklet "Working in Germany and in non-contracting states" p. 15 it says. "the liability to pay contributions in a member state of the EU or in a country with which Germany has concluded a social security agreement may be considered equal to the liability to pay contributions in Germany in this context. In this case it is NOT possible to have your contributions refunded. Please get advice."

So that website seems to completely contradict the booklet (unless I want to be unemployed for two years in which case I make no social security payments, which is obviously not an option)?

Do you know American expats who have personally gotten the refund after two years (and didn't work in Germany longer than 5 years?) I hope the website is right because I'm leaving Germany soon and want a refund after two years.

On that note, has anyone else from American actually tried to get the refund?

I am an American and am currently in the process of trying to get our pension refunded. It has been a loooonnnngggg process, and still have not seen the funds yet, but am (for some strange reason) remaining optimistic... We have been out of Germany for over 2 years now as well.

If I ever see the money, I will report back. :)

Hi Inka,

I'm first of all curious where you read that a refund is even possible, or basically are you just hoping that you can get the refund with enough poking and proding?

jbi2 -

There were several places where I found that we should be eligible for a pension refund. Here are a few:

German Pension Refund

Pension Refund Check

TT Wiki link on Pension Refunds

TaxBack.com

As directed by these links, I've gone through the BFA (or Deutsche-Rentenversicherung-Nord - DRV), and have filled out the appropriate forms (V100 and V901, in our case). We've received correspondence back from the DRV, asking for more clarification and paperwork, but indicating that it is just a matter of time to process all of the paperwork. I am remaining hopeful and optimistic, despite the fact that I did start this process nearly a year ago!

I also found a contact via de-orient.com who helped me immensely, should you need further assistance.

Good luck!

I'm first of all curious where you read that a refund is even possible

If you read the info provided on the official DRV website, it is clearly stated (at least in the German versions) under which conditions it is possible to receive a refund.

Hi, I feel I should be able to answer this but there seems to be lots of contrasting opinions on the pension claims for people who move to non-EU countries and who have stayed for more than 5 years in Germany. It seems that My link Germany and India have signed a social security arrangement, but does that bring the 60 month limit into force for Indians? And if I understand right, if that limit is valid, then Indians cannot take claim the lump sum after 24 months of residence outside Germany, and will receive a regular pension from the age of retirement? Or do you just lose the money?

I am from India. I am working in Germany for last 6 years, I may move back to india by the end of next year. I heard that that the money we pay as 'rente..' can be reclaimed. Any one has any experience with that? do we really get that money back?

[adminmerge][/adminmerge]

Yes you get your part of the pension paid during your work here. the company paid part will not be returned. For applying to this, you will have to be deregistered from any european country for more than 24 months.

If you plan to shift back to India at the end of next year, then you can make an application for the refund only at the start of 2019 (if the pension rules dont change until then) . You can make an application from India , application form V901 available in Deutscherentenversicherung website.

Also since your last address available with the pension office here will be the one just before you leave Germany, you will have to get them update your Indian Address which is notarized. There is a place for this in V901. After all this is done, you can expect a refund in around 6-8 weeks.

From my non-expert opinion on this, if you have worked 6 years here you are vested in the pension scheme. Someday you would get a pension from Germany. If you take your portion out, you may loose the employer paid portion and get nothing back. I know you can't plan on what may be available or not in 30 years, but check it out before you make a snap decision.

Thanks for such a quick responses.

What was worrying me is this sentence from 'the Local' http://www.thelocal.de/20130506/49369

"After you have worked here for five years there is no entitlement to your payments if you return home,"

Thanks for such a quick responses.

What was worrying me is this sentence from 'the Local' http://www.thelocal.de/20130506/49369

"After you have worked here for five years there is no entitlement to your payments if you return home,"

That is correct - if you have contributed more than 60 months to German (or EU memberstates) public pension, then the money is locked in for good, while you have a firm and irrefutable claim for receiving a pension for the rest of you life from Germany once you reach pension age.

The chance to get a partial refund is only true

1) for all those who contributed less than 60 months

2) come from countries with whom no universal (EU) or bilateral (USA for instance, or AFAIK Australia) agreements have been made where pension contributions are mutually recognized.

Cheerio

I am a professional independent insurance broker, financial adviser, and authorised advertiser. Contact me.

I lived in Germany for just under 5 years (4 years, 8 months to be exact) and returned to the United States in April 2012. Before I left, I contacted a tax adviser about obtaining a pension insurance refund for the time I spent in Germany. I paid 500 EUR and the adviser sorted out all of the necessary paperwork; I left Germany with the knowledge that I would be able to submit the paperwork once I had been living outside of Germany for 2 years. In May 2014, I mailed the forms off to the Deutsche Rentenversicherung Bund in Berlin and received my refund in October 2014. It took a while for everything to finally come through, but I successfully received my refund in the end!

In short, it is possible and it does help to have a tax adviser help you with the steps along the way. I used an adviser through Expat Tax (as advertised on TT). :)

Hi all,

This may be a familiar topic but I was wondering if somebody could help me out.

I am a UK citizen. For three years I have worked here full time and paid my pension contributions. I will now be returning to the UK with no plans to work in Germany again.

Now, from my research, I can see that as a UK citizen I am not entitled to a refund of my pension contributions, on the logic that I will be eligible for a pro rata payout at retirement age.

My question: does anybody know of any way by which I could get that money refunded to me? My faith in state pension funds is minimal to say the least; all I want is to have the money refunded now and invest it on my own terms.

Any help much appreciated!

--

Topics merged by admin