Reclaiming payments into pension fund upon leaving Germany

131 posts in this topic

i know (at least for u.s.) that you can have it returned to you if you haven't lived in d-land for longer than 5 years, but you can only file a claim once you've returned to the states and have been away from germany from at least 2 years. or maybe it takes 2 years to process. if it's longer than 5 years stay in d-land, then you just collect your retirement when you retire.

i stopped looking into this once i saw that i could only collect my retirement after having been back in the u.s. or away from germany for 2 years.

i hope you get the info you need. this is a complex theme. i could also be confused and i honestly don't remember the details, but this is what i understood about the whole thing.

I checked into this a bit and I am facing leaving Germany since my 5 years is up in Jan.

Figure 10% of your salary each year is what you'd get back.

I love Munich and its tearing my heart out, but I have no work many months... ...

Anyway... The Pension office overlooks the Virtualian Market. You can go in there, provide your German social security info and they can tell you exactly how much you'd get back and the rules. Just for kicks, ask them also how much you'd get from the pension system if you were 65 today. It's really sickening! So... take the cash and invest it yourself. We're talking thousands to tens of thousands of EURO today verses less than 50 EURO a month at 67 (if the German system exists then).

Sorry I don't have the details on how to get the money. I'll look into it soon. A buddy of mine has gotten his money. Not much hassle just paperwork in 2 years.

By the way, they count by month towards the 5 years and any unemployment money counts months also since the Arbeitsamt pays in for you. Only way around it to extend, is stop unemployement.

I'll let you know if I find out more.

hi folks,

looks like I will be bailing out soon! Going back to the US. Had a great time in Munich though. Anyways, does anyone have expereince with the Social Security / Rentenversicherung Reciprocity agreement between the US and Germany. Iv'e heard if you have been here less than 60 months you get it all back. Anyone have experience with this?

I have tried to upload 4x .pdf files (hope it works) that one will need to claim your social insurance back. The person at the Bundesversicherungsanstalt für Angestellte (BfA), http://www.bfa.de/eng_welcome.html, advised that you should complete these forms before you leave Germany (preferably with some-one's help), but not to send it off to the BFA yet. You will have to wait for a period of 2 years before you can submit the forms to them.

There is a form that the German Embassy in your country must complete to confirm that you have been back in your home country for a period 2 years. The refunds usually takes 4 - 6 weeks. The best will be to confirm with them if they will do a transfer of the funds to a foreign country, or if you should keep your German bank account open.

If you have been in Germany for less than 5 years, you qualify to get your portion of the contribution back (9%) and in the end it could be a nice sum of money.

If you can't see or open the pdf files :( , I am sure you can request these forms from Stefan.Klimpel@bfa.de

or from: Grundsatzreferat Ausland (Versicherungsrecht)

Telefon: 0049/30/865 2 3614

Fax: 0049/30/865 2 7098

For anyone who's interested, I think I've hit a brick wall on this one...

I got in contact with the BFA and they told me that refunds ar no longer possible when you leave Germany if move to another EU member state.

We live in Switzerland these days but apparently in July 2002, Switzerland signed up to a special agreement with the EU so that CH is treated like an EC member state for these purposes now so again - no refund is available.

Oh well, we'll just have to sit tight for another 34 years until my wife gets her modest German state pension then! Unless we move out of 'Europe' that is...

Has anyone else got anything to add to this topic?

Cheers,

hmmm...but if your wife moved from Germany to Switzerland in 2000, before that new ruling came in, then I would have thought she could still reclaim the payments...unless too much time has lapsed in the meantime?

Does anyone know the latest, and if there is a different rule for Americans and Europeans? Snake mentioned last night that there is some sort of service where you can get the money straight away for a one-off payment, but he wasn't sure.

Apparently we're talking about €25k here, seriously worth thinking about...

I have been living in Germany for a year. I plan on living here another 3 or 4 years. Somewhere I heard that when I leave the country I can take my retirement with me. Is this true? The govt takes out some and then my company matches. Do I really get to take all of this when I go back to the states?

Jon

Topics merged by admin

hmmm i just spoke to stefan at the bfa at the number above and he said there is no way under any circumstances that a british person returning to the uk can get their pension contributions paid out to them after they leave germany. you get it when you are in your zimmerframe and claiming your pension in the uk (you just fill in your rentenversicherungsnummer from germany). the only way to get your contributions paid out before that time is if you're relocating to new zealand or mexico. this seems to contradict what has been written here - it seems the same for the US, ie no dosh until 65.

no contradiction. EU people have different rules from US people, the posts above replying to US people just don't repeat that "this info is for US people".

I've never heard of the Mexico or NZ thing you mention for EU people, but then I'm US and won't have looked into that very much.

ah ok. but this bloke seemed to be saying that they have the same agreement with the US as with the UK

after staying in germany for 4.5 years, i'm currently planning a leave...

can i get the sozialversicherung i payed in the past 4.5 years back? and how?

if i leave after staying 5years, what will happen? (i heard about two different versions about the answer: i can get back nothing and i can get back double... which is correct?)

thanks a lot!!! :rolleyes:

Topics merged by admin

This link gives an outline of the rules (in German):

http://www.deutsche-rentenversicherung-bun...erstattung.html

Apparently, there are lots of country-specific regulations (including a special treaty between Germany and China, which is not explained on the website), but if you do qualify to get your contribution back, the amount you get back is always limited to the share you paid in. The 5 year timeframe seems to have another significance: Less than 5 years -> you are not eligible for a German pension; more than 5 years -> if you do not opt to get your contribution back, you will be eligible for a German pension

Just to help out EU citizens cannot get their Pensions back I have tried it and they will only give it back to you if you relocate to a NON EMEA Country ie Europe Middle East Africa.

I have over 2 years pension paid into in Germany and I cannot get it moved over to Ireland. Its too difficult to explain.

The people from the US will get their amount exactly and it does take forever.

Sorry guys

...they will only give it back to you if you relocate to a NON EMEA Country ie Europe Middle East Africa.

Not quite true. You can only get it back if you relocate permanently to a non-EU country. EU countries have collaborative arrangements to pay pension entitlement when you retire, so any contributions in Germany will be good should you subsequently retire in Ireland, for example.

Does anyone know how to get it back after living and working in germany as an Angestellte? I've heard that it's possible, but have no idea where to start looking.

Thanks for any help!

Topics merged by admin

depends in what country you are from? If from the EU then no, but the other countries if you stay under 60 months you get the Pension monies back. You can get the forms to fill out from your KVR in the Pension department (3rd floor here in Munich), but you have to wait two years after leaving to apply.