Men: What makes you cry?

144 posts in this topic

and every flipping time the Special Olympics come on the tele, I'm in absolute floods of tears

tears of laughter i assume? i usually get that too.

i think im an "emotional drunk". i honestly never thought id cry at a sporting moment though but when henrik larsson played his last league game for celtic i openly wept. :(

Presumably you will be in tears tonight in that your team only managed a draw with the hoops :D

I've seen men crying for sports, for their (ex)-partner, for have lost a close relative, for their children...

I usually cry when watching a film that has to do with human achievement - the underdog becoming the achiever - like Robert Redford in "The Natural" or Mark Wahlberg in "Invincible." Everyday events like people dying make me a bit sad, but never make me cry.

I did cry once when a relaionship ended, but that was because I was being a complete wuss-bag.

Presumably you will be in tears tonight in that your team only managed a draw with the hoops

Nahhh, twas at your place and you manage to save yourself by a late, late goal.

Reality check, it was a pre-season friendly, who cares ?

I'm not a guy, but when one of my boyfriends once cried while we were fighting it was deeply touched. When I think about it now I still think, "aww... he's not as big of an emotional rock as I thought. Too bad those moments are few and far between."

edit- the 'few and far between moments' of showing emotion. it doesn't have to necessarily be crying.

I usually cry when watching a film that has to do with human achievement - the underdog becoming the achiever

I think that's what gets me about the special olympics - just thinking what these people have had to overcome in their disabilities AND public prejudice to excell in their sports ...

David's Song from Kidnapped by Vladimir Kosima. (with Liam óg O'Fhloinn on uileann pipes).

Any reasonably played version of Tam Linn.

Frankie Gavin's version of the Oak Tree.

The Dog Crusoe by R.M. Ballantyne.

Music for a Found Harmonium played by the Penguin Cafe Orchestra or Patrick Street.

Skewball by June Tabor.

The Death of my Dog.

Capricorn by Blue Oyster Cult

Golden Brown by the Stranglers

Good Risotto or Bubble and Squeak.

Spanish jack by Willy deVille

Aftershave in my eye.

Right Cunts.

The Homes of Donegal by Paul Brady

tears of laughter i assume? i usually get that too.

haha thank god there's someone out there as calous as me. The paralympics cracks me up every time

what's so good about being callous? I would have thought it was a particularly repellant character attribute.

However, being revolted or amused by over-sentmentalism can be a redeeming feature as in this quote from ocar Wilde which I wholly endorse:

''One would have to have a heart of stone to read the death of Little Nell without laughing.''