Shops that sell American children's books

18 posts in this topic

Is there a shop that sells American books for kids? I am about to try Amazon (comparing shipping from .com vs UK)... but if there is something between say Lüneburg and Hamburg, I'd try that. I'm tired of waiting for our container ship to arrive. thanks!

try these guys. Shipping in Germany is free and they have lots of good books for ~5euros a pop. You have to know what you want though, I usually search amazon first then buy here.

{}

KT

Take a look at Amazon.de (Germany) since they have tons of English language books available and you often get books much quicker than from UK or US. They even have a sale going on right now. I ordered 6 paperbacks last Thursday night - July 31. Got free delivery, didn't pay any extra for fast shipping, and all my books are here already. 3 came on Saturday, and 3 today. All my books were listed as available for immediate shipping, though, and were direct from Amazon itself. Watch out for books that are being sold through other stores via Amazon since then it often takes longer and extra shipping costs apply. And sometimes even books from Amazon will take longer to ship, but the info is always clearly marked on the detail product page.

Take a look at these Dr. Suess books available right now from Amazon.de or English Childrens books ages 4 to 8

amazon.de have most books in english, and the shipping is free. just choose'Englische Bucher' from the dropdown menu on the homepage, and it only will only return results for books that are in english.

http://www.amazon.de

Is there a shop that sells American books for kids? I am about to try Amazon (comparing shipping from .com vs UK)... but if there is something between say Lüneburg and Hamburg, I'd try that. I'm tired of waiting for our container ship to arrive. thanks!

Use Amazon.de under Englische Buecher ... it usually gets one right through to either amazon.co.uk or amazon.com, and you skip the shipping and customs (books are treated differently than most other stuff ordered online).

Works great. Now, if I could only dicipline myself to buy all my books online and stop impulse-buying crap like EUR11 New Yorker magazines at airports and trainstations :(

thanks, guys!! Dr. Seuss was a genius... my 3 year old is already starting to read (ack!), and I attribute a lot of that to his books. I also LOVED them myself as a kid.

I will also need to "homeschool" him here, as school starts younger back in the States. sshhhh, I do realize that H.S. is illegal in Germany. *rolling eyes* So I will be in need of more books while here, even though I bought a TON before we left.

Don't worry about home schooling. It is only illegal if you keep your child out of regular legally required schools. There's nothing in the law that says you can't teach or tutor your child at home in addition to the required schooling. And 3 or 4-year olds aren't required to go to school so you're not breaking any laws. ;)

When ordering from amazon, you'll usually see more than one version of the same book available, often at different prices. First check whether it is hardcover or paperback. Then check that it is coming direct from Amazon and not from another store. Finally take a look at the estimated shipping time. Then decide which one you want to put in your shopping basket.

ACK!! "My Many ColoUred Days" by Dr. Seuss is misspelled! UNACCEPTABLE!!! LOL

Man, between the British spellings and going to German Kindergarten, my son is going to be so confused... ;)

You are the internet search KING. Isn't this twice you've helped me? I owe you an American beer! :D

But really now, since Dr. Seuss is an American hero, the version MUST be in "American" (there is an entire thread on this subject of language... LOL).

Make it a nice Californian white wine and you're on! ;)

While you're browsing Amazon Germany, take a look at some of the other stuff they have for sale right now. You might find things your new place needs, like some electronics or other household gadgets. And don't worry about putting together an order with some things that are ready for immediate shipment and others that will take a while. Amazon is pretty good about splitting up orders and sending them in more than one shipment without charging you anything extra for it.

Oh... and you're very welcome! :)

Did you try Buch Geist - Am Wall? They are specialized in educational topics, foreign languages and so on issues. They also order nearly everything for you ... I think its well wort a try.

http://www.buchgeist.de/

Pretty good selection of English books at Thalia in the Europa Passage in Hamburg if your willing to take the drive.

They have a HUGE selection in the adults dept. as a fairly good one in the kids dept. also.

Downtown Hamburg

@Mapleleafdude

Thalia- yes thats a good stop. Even here in Oldenburg- just been to the city centre- they have a department for English literature- from crime, travel, children to even esoteric (spelling?) issues. I suggest that Thalias flagshipstore you mentioned even offers more.

@Mapleleafdude

Thalia- yes thats a good stop. Even here in Oldenburg- just been to the city centre- they have a department for English literature- from crime, travel, children to even esoteric (spelling?) issues. I suggest that Thalias flagshipstore you mentioned even offers more.

The Flagship store on Spitaler str. only has a small English dept. since I guess there focusing on Europa passage.

amazon.de have most books in english, and the shipping is free. just choose'Englische Bucher' from the dropdown menu on the homepage, and it only will only return results for books that are in english.

http://www.amazon.de

My exact thoughts - Amazon.de is great and all of my orders arrive in 2-3 days!