Residential districts of Bremen

29 posts in this topic

Hi, I'm moving to Bremen to start a new job and need to start searching for a new flat now. i want to know about the area details of bremen,how about tenever and weser park i have some appointment for houses there.could anyone share your thoughts it could be helpful for me.

Tenever is the worst area you can find in Bremen. Avoid this. Weser-Park is not a district, its a shopping centre, including hypermarket, fasion stores and so on. Residential areas are Schwachhausen with its amazing villas and parks. Schwachhausen is near to the city centre, public transport is excellent. Oberneuland is also very posh, but has defenitely more a "village"-atmosphere and is further away from the city centre. The so called " Viertel" near the river Weser combines the districts Steintor/Ostertor which used to bit the alternative scene playground in the 80ies. Nowadays its getting more in a yuppie direction but still very relaxed, also full of typical "Old Bremer houses". Its very close to the city centre, shopping, nightlife, freetime and culture included.

Just to give you a short impression I guess its obvious, which picture shows the residential area (Schwachhausen) ?

post-8539-1217916891.jpg

post-8539-1217916914.jpg

Thanks for the info

I found a lots of houses from baugenossenschaft in tenever area

Could you mention why tenver must be avoided

What is worse in tenever

Weser park is a shoppin center , yes , is places like "Osterholz" , "Hemelingen" good?

Main idea is find a house where shopping market like weserpark is near

Regards

Minaz

Hi Menaz!

Well I don't know what youre excatly looking for- a house, a flat? Near to the city centre or any other place?

Due to its 70ies concept of building a very anonymous and oversized housing area with blocks and towers, Tenever became very soon a social problem. The architecture might have been modern, fuctional at that time, but people who had the possibility of not moving there decided so and looked for other places to live in. The people who stayed had little money, a lot of them unemployed and problems like alcohol, drugs grew. The city owned company who owns the massive multiple complex has tried for years to renovate and improve flats, parks, social group working was established to give especially the youth a perspective for the future... Here is an article from Spiegel about Tenever.

http://www.spiegel.de/sptv/extra/0,1518,359762,00.html

I haven'T been there for about a year- so dont know if anything has really changed, but still all these blocks and towers depress me. Very little green, just anonymous.

So I thought if youre looking for residential areas - this is something to avoid. Therefore- avoid this...

Hemelingen is ok, still not as residential as the ones I mentioned, but most of it full of little "Bremer houses"

Well, Osterholz - I think you mean Osterholz -Scharmbeck -is not a part of Bremen. It's a small town near Bremen in Lower Saxony. There are probably a lot of people living there and working in Bremen. I am not sure about an easy public transport to Bremen from Osterholz...you might need a car. Anywhere else within Bremen you could use the tram which is fine.

A part of Hemelingen is Hastedt. There are also industrial areas in Hemelingen, cause of the Weser harbour which is near...

post-8539-1218000019_thumb.jpg

I agree with Abog. I love Bremen and think it's a beautiful city, but the area around Tenever is the most depressing in the city.

Maybe it would help if you tell us where you will be located for work and how much of a commute you want?

What your budget is like for a flat/house?

To rent? How many rooms etc...

I live in Bremen and have lived in a few different areas. Eg Viertel/Gete/Schwachhausen. Moving to Oberneuland soon! :)

Hi All

thanx for those replies

from gewoba i ve an offer for flat in "Vahr"

thats a bit close to my work place i.e Hemelingen

is this a better place to live

personally i will prefer a multiculti atmosphere

Regards

Honestly I don't think so. Vahr, Neue Vahr is still very close to Tenever. There are other areas which are closer to Hemelingen like some of the areas mentioned above. Don't forget that the transport system is really good. Do you have to stick to Gewoba? Lots of their flats are situated in non residential districts. Try www. immonet.de or www. immobilienscout.de for your own research. You'll probably find more interesting offers than from Gewoba considering your wishes...

Hi

Vahr Nord is not near Tenever ,

I found that place ok with shopping places nearby and well kept kinderspielplatz by gewoba

I dont think u can avoid all the areas around tenever.

Regards

thats a bit close to my work place i.e Hemelingen

is this a better place to live

personally i will prefer a multiculti atmosphere

Regards

Hi there,

I've lived in Bremen for the last 20 years and have really come to love the place. I've lived in Walle, Peterswerder, Huckelriede and now live basically in the city centre, but my favourite place will always be a certain part of Findorff.

If you need to be around Hemelingen, then I would suggest also living there. There are some nice areas around the Hannoversche Strasse and friends of ours live on the border between Hemelingen and Sebaldsbrück (Alter Postweg), which also has some nice enough houses and flats. The Neue Vahr really does have some nice areas, but take a good look round when looking at a house or flat. Schwachhausen is certainly more up-market. Expect to pay more just for the house or flat being in this district, but I have a few colleagues who live in the so-called "Gete-Viertel", which is also quite pleasant and has easy access to everything you could need. If you like Multiculti, then you're in the right place in Bremen, no matter where you live . . .

When my girlfriend and I decided to take the plunge and move in together, we sat down and discussed where we wanted to live and we realised that a very important factor is not necessarily the proximity of work, but where you would feel the most comfortable. If I had kids, I don't think I'd want to live in the flat we're now in (event though we're very happy here). If I needed the nightlife, I would probably have looked in Steintor, Ostertor or Peterswerder (which is also useful for the Weserstadion if you're a football fan). If you want peace and quiet, look at Mahndorf or Arbergen. If you can do without all of the these things and want something more rural, look at Achim, Oyten or Brinkum, which are satellite towns in Niedersachsen where many many people who work in Bremen live. I've often wondered about Achim or Brinkum, as I work at the airport, but my girlfriend needs the city centre for her many hobbies and pastimes and doesn't drive, using her bike for nearly everything she does. Which is another really excellent thing about Bremen. There are cycle paths along all major roads and many of the not-so major ones. Public transport isn't too bad either (if you happen to live near a bus or tram stop) and is a useful alternative when (not if) it rains :rolleyes:

There used to be a service called "Bremer Miet Büro" which had many flats and houses to let and the fee was minimal. We found our flat through the local newspaper ("Weser Kurier") which has a large ad section on Saturdays and a smaller one on Wednesdays. I believe the ads are also available online via their website www.weserkurier.de Thee is also the "AbisZ", which is a Loot-like ad paper, but there star really has fallen since the internet took over. There are plenty of offers on www.bremen.de and the AbisZ also has a website.

Please feel free to ask for more advice :)

Stevie

Hi -- I have a room to rent in a really fantastic flat in Bremen. Two floors, huge balcony, full bathroom upstairs and guest toilet downstairs, full kitchen, huge living room, original wooden floors, high ceilings, very quiet, English spoken. Prefer somebody long-term and quiet and non-smoker. If anybody is interested...

Hi everyone,

Any updates to this thread... suggestions for residential areas near the University in Bremen?

Thanks!

Lilienthal, Borgfeld, Horn-Lehe or Schwachhausen are quite nice. The latter can be expensive though.

Any updates to this thread... suggestions for residential areas near the University in Bremen?

Buying or renting?

I work close to the UNI too. I currently live in a furnished flat in Schwachhausen. The rents ok but the house diagonally opposite me went for 750k recently, so buying is very expensive (and the houses mostly not worth it). It nice being close to the town centre and to the Bürgerpark, but parking is a nightmare and would be my no. 1 reason for not wanting to live there permanently.

Faced with the same decision you are facing, we are buying (actually building) in Lilienthal. Its affordable, a nice place, plenty of green, its not Bremen, so better for schools (we have one small child and another planned) and by 2014 the Strassenbahn will go there. Lilienthal -> Uni is dedicated cycle paths the entire way and takes a comfortable 30mins. By car you can be at the UNI in 15, town centre in 30 mins (you can live IN Bremen and need longer).

Borgfeld is more expensive (to buy). Borgfeld West is getting nasty (theyve overdone the rows and rows of identical houses on small plots) and old Borgfeld you have to be very lucky to find something a decent size for a reasonable price (and not needing lots of work). Borgfeld is also now saturated with young families so forget about getting a creche or Kindergarten place.

Horn Lehe and Oberneuland are convenient but we didnt find anything we were prepared to spend money on (lots of badly built or very run down properties for hideous prices) and the only new build site is surrounded by motorway and high speed rail track so we didnt fancy that. No idea what renting is like, but Horn is likely to be pricey because of all the students wanting to live there. In the private student halls they are building across from my office they are apparently asking 460,- warm for a studio with something like 20qm total floorspace.

Hey Minaz , hope you found a lovely flat by now. Never tenever or Gröpelingen! these are ghettos and i am sure you will hate them.

Are you by ourself or with family or partner?

i had a quick look at this forum, may be someone suggested this site.. try the local bremen.de link is..

http://schwarzesbrett.bremen.de/sixcms/detail.php?template=01_markt_eintraege_d&id=28555&host=bremen

I will recommend viertel which is the happening place ( my ex-flat used to be there), schwachausen and the horn-lehe the best for family and peaceful living.

good luck or congrats if you already had found one

Thanks for the two updates above... we would probably rent before buying, but good to know which areas to look in.

cheers!

Hi All!

Soo, it's seemingly increasingly likely (hubby thinks about 98% so at this point) that we'll be moving up North. He will be working out of Bremerhaven but we both absolutely do not want to live there. We were told to start looking around for rental properties and have done so, at first thinking somewhere between Cux and Bremerhaven, near the ocean, but that plan was foiled by the lack of any decent rental properties. Soooo, we started looking more towards Bremen, this is probably also the most likely place I may find a job which is an added bonus. We found one particularly interesting place in Lehesterdeich - does anybody know the area? Haven't really found much info online...

I live pretty near there.

Some of the newbuild estates can get a bit parked up and access to trams and shops could be a bit far depending on where you end up exactly.

The area in general is quiet and residential.

Depending on where you are, the noise from the motorway and/or the railway can be a bit of a problem.

Personally for us the motorway noise isn't a big deal but the railway was a pain where we used to live.