Skiing and snowboarding lessons in or near Munich

34 posts in this topic

For beginners I can recommended Parallel Ski: http://www.geocities.com/parallel_ski_munich/ - and it's native English speaking too...

If you're new to Munich and would like to learn to ski or been in Munich for ages but never bothered to learn (but now want to)...

Ken Lawler, an expat American, runs his own ski school, 'Parallel Skiing eV' from here in Munich. They offer a series of lessons over 3/4 weeks which uses the short ski method which really works!

Every year there is a beginners weekend for first-timers -- usually sometime late November -- and then regular weekends from early January through mid February.

Information evenings will be starting soon so get in touch now to book your place(s)

For more details see: http://www.geocities.com/parallel_ski_munich/

Alternatively contact Ken at <parallel_skiing@gmx.com>

Joe

pp

Ken Lawler

Parallel Ski Munich eV

There is no beginners course in November. There is usually an advanced course but that has been cancelled this year. The course will run each weekend from January 10th until February 7th.

I can also highly recommend this course. It is suitable for everyone and you will be up and skiing in no time.

Another big recommendation here for Ken parallel ski course. Got the following info from him on e-mail last week. As it says, the next info evening is this Sunday.

INFOEVE SUN 26Oct 19:00 SUN 2NOV 19:00 and WED 5NOV 19:00 Hi Skiers from last years' ski courses,

Here is the announcement for our beginner and

advanced ski couses for this season.

Winter's on its way and we're offering beginner ski courses

again. As you know, word-of-mouth is the only advertising

that has worked for us. It's the way you heard about the ski

course yourself. We depend on YOU to pass the word along.

Tell your friends, neighbors, relatives, and colleagues.

Forward this email, but put in your comments as well.

Tell them how much easier it is to learn with our short ski

method and how much fun the ski course is. Stress that

these courses are suited for anyone, no matter how fearful,

unathletic, or unfit. It is the best chance they will ever have to learn to ski.

Beginner courses for adults start at the weekend of 10 Jan, to the

weekend of 7 Feb but we need signups now. Before the course

starts, beginners must come to my house one evening for general

information, boot fitting, and a few ski exercises. The earlier

beginners come, the larger the boot selection. The InfoEve is free

and non-binding.

Even those who are skeptical should come along to an information

evening and see for themselves how easy and fun learning to ski

can be. The next information evenings is Sun 26 Oct. 19:00.

I'll pick up passengers at U-5 Ubahnstation Quidde Str. Get

out the front and go up one flight of stairs to the middle level

(still under ground). Wait under the clock. I'll wear a baseball

cap and carry a short ski. Please wear flat shoes and trowsers. If you already have ski boots bring at least one of them with you.

We need at least one other car. Anyone driving, meet me there as well

(remember it's rush hour). The Ubahn station is at the corner of

Albert Schweitzer Str and Siegfried Molier Str. Drivers go down the Station

entrance to meet the rest of us. We will drive in convoy to my flat at

Rosenheimer Landstr. 23, Ottobrunn.

e-mail me the names of those coming beforehand, so I can plan. Give me

telephone numbers and e-mail addresses. Tell me who is driving.

Our instructor training schedule is so tight this season, we are canceling the November Advanced Weekend. The Advanced Weekend in March though is definitely on. Make sure you get some skiing in beforehand. Don't worry, you haven't forgotten everything! Just get out there and go skiing. The glaciers are already open.

We are also offering a courses for pre-school age children on 3-4 Jan and

28Feb-1Mar

Drivers, Organise your winter tires now.

I'm reachable by phone only at the weekend

(089) 609 5948 (If I'm not on a ski course) I don't have a mobile telephone. The best way to reach me is email.

To sign up for an Info Eve use the return address to this email.

Wishing you a snowy and fun-filled winter! Ken

Ken isn't the only person teaching the short ski method, but it's probably the best way to learn. If you start learning the snow plough then you spend the rest of your skiing life trying to forget it. Also think about the Alpenverein who run courses in everything under the sun but in the mountains.

Has anyone tried Ken's course for their preschool aged child?

I would definitely recommend the parallel ski course by Ken Lawler. I did this last year. As mentioned you start on little skis just bigger than you foot which get bigger every day. The course runs over three weekends, on the first weekend you holding hands with the fellow beginners, by weekend three your good enough to hit a black slope.

There are lots of teachers who are good and they acknowledge you strengths and weaknesses.

When i done the course it was about 220 Euros a weekend, which includes travel, hostel and the ski equipment, everything except food! Of course you need to buy your own ski clothes, boots are provided. You have to kens house and do some little training exercises and get measured up for boots.

Highly recommended

@ MLovett, - Ken taught all my kids to Ski The eldest was 6 when she started and the youngest was 3&1/2. They are all now confident and happy skiers. I can't recommend Ken & co enough..

Nick

One of the best things I did since I'm in Munich. Incredibly how fast we’ve learned with this method. Not only that, but we made good friends during those weekends. I highly recommend Ken’s course.

Howdy folks

Ken's Parallel Ski Course runs as usual this season - for 5 weekends starting 9/10 Jan.

Loads of Toytowners have successfully completed this innovative Short Ski course over the years (its been running since the early 90's) and can answer as to how Excellent it is. See comments on this thread for example and elsewhere.

If you're interested - you need to first attend an Info evening - where you will get fitted out with boots and do a few basics - on carpet. :)

Next Info Evening is Tuesday 8th December - meet-point / pickup at Quiddestraße U-Bahn.

There will be other Info evenings I think but not many now as Christmas (and January) is just around the corner.

If you're interested or have any questions - you should contact Ken at: parallel_skiing@gmx.com

or by phone at: 089-6095948

Wishing you a fun winter.

Z

p.s. I'd post a link detailing the Short Ski Method, Parallel Ski School eV and so on - but unfortunately the school's website was hosted on Yahoo geocites - which is now no more. Soon ...

If you have any questions - please contact Ken, feel free to post or PM me, look through this thread and others, talk to anyone who's done the course in porevious seasons ...

:)

Ken's Parallel Ski Course is starting up again for the winter season ahead.

You can find lots of info about it on this thread - or on the thread: Learn to ski the easy way - short ski method

Dates for 2010/2011:

Beginner courses for adults start at the weekend of 6 Jan, to the weekend of 5 Feb

If you're interested you'll need to attend an information evening.

The next information evenings are:

InfoAft Sun 31Oct 15:00

InfoEve Tue 02Nov 19:00

InfoEve Tue 09Nov 19:00

Advanced Weekend this Autumn: 4-5Dec

Bambinos: We are also offering courses for pre-school age children on 29-30 Dec and

19-20Feb

To sign up for an Info Eve - or for any other queries - email Ken at parallel_skiing@gmx.com

Please include your mobile number.

cheers

Steve

We (both ski-ers, learner and medium) had our 3-1/2 year-old daughter on the January 2010 course, and by the end of a short weekend she was *really* ski-ing!! We were both stunned, and our daughter was just laughing and asking for more! After that, on family ski outings, by the end of March our little girl was doing Draxelhang (Lenggries) at one shot comfortably, and taking the lift by herself (with us following). To be honest, I was skeptical about starting her early, but there was no pressure; the 1 or 2 young kids on the course (maybe a dozen kids total) who couldn't quite get up to speed had lots of fun regardless, and the ones who were capable, well, they got a great start! On our first 'ski trips' after the short ski course, our daughter was asking where Ken was, she wanted to show him how she could ski, and she today still says 'thank-you Ken' ;-)

I've also seen Ken in action (Austria and Germany) getting first-time adult skiers going on the weekend course; it's a real pleasure to see both young and old learning naturally and enjoying this sport!

Whether you know the Alps or not, you'll learn how to smoothly and comfortably approach any ski resort, with or without your children, and get on the slopes without concern or hesitation. How to get your kit on, get in line, get on the lift, get down the piste; Ken's courses are *very* affordable, fun, and perhaps the best way to get into the world of Alpine / family ski-ing!!

I've used eBay.de to find ski equipment (boots, ski's) for my daughter, it's cost less than 20 euro to get her fully kitted out, and I got short ski's for myself (30 euro) to better pace her. My tip is, search eBay ski auctions for used (gebraucht) kit, then use the 'Entfernung' option (distance from your postcode) to find kit nearby and simply pick it up - in my case the seller everytime simply threw in at no cost other items like ski goggles and poles when I showed up to collect. Starting ski-ing isn't expensive! Just ask Ken...

I recommend highly both Ken, and this type of 'learning to ski', to you and your kids :-)

Have fun!

I recommend Michi Gerg school in Lenggries.