Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Wages per hour for design and video editing

10 posts in this topic

Hi there Toytown,

I am negotiating a contract now and could use some feedback.

If you work in design or video (photography, photoshop, web design, flash, FinalCut ) how much do you charge per hour or day for your creative services in Berlin?

I started working at a company as an English language copywriter and they paid me decently, got more hours and now work in office and at home. As I work there longer, they have now uncovered / discovered that I am also adept at photo, photoshop, web design and video editing work and more and more of my job requires me to use these skills, with the occasional English language copywriting daily task thrown in as well as community management (Marketing dept). I have become the 'art director/creative director' in the Marketing dept and nobody else on the 'Team' can do the special-skills stuff that I do.

A great deal of the communication of this international company is in English, so they have a dire need for native English speakers, and I am one of four out of approx. 85 employees. I have an arts background, studied photography and have been freelance for many years -- self-taught in much of the more current design + video editing skills)

On one hand, they are giving me a great opportunity to hone my skills while paying me decently. On the other hand, I don't want to be taken advantage of, nor do I want to out-negotiate myself and become "too expensive" and be left in the dust.

Any advice or feedback on your experiences in these fields?

thanks!

If your German is good, you could search through Das Auge (http://www.dasauge.de).

I'm told (haven't explored it that much) that it's a website and forum for designers and other creatives, and also a resource for people looking for freelance work. So maybe there's some info on rates.

Hope this helps!

Hi. I'm a web developer so not sure how it compares. I probably ask for about €300 a day, but that's a freelancer rate for a slightly different skill I guess, and it tends to depend a lot who it's for.

However I can give you some idea from graphic designer quotes who recently responded to an ad we placed for graphic web design (mainly through dasauge.de). They were quoting freelance rates and ranged between €200 per day and €400 (the higher ones were from people who fancied themselves as 'thinkers'). For established but non-pretentious graphic designers the rate was about €320 per day. For good but less established designers the rate was about €250. So maybe you could go up to €30 per hour..?

btw do they ever need native English speaking web developers..?

thank you, this is quite helpful! keep 'em coming!!!

yes, my skill set is rather varied... thinker (non-pretentious one, just like to provide ideas!), photoshop whiz, final cut video editor, machinima maker, photographer, some web design, english copywriter and and and...

but somehow, these all fit into the job I have carved out for myself. I need to show them the value of what they are already getting!

NOTE: the company DOES need 3D modelers - will train. From my office:

If you know someone reliable (student, low cost freelancer, minijobber) who is interested to earn some extra money building Virtual Cities in a quality never seen before with tools almost as simple as SimCity, please let us know. No further special abilities are required.

We offer 8 Euros per hour, a nice workstation and flexible work times (at least 12 hours per week).

We are behind schedule with our city building efforts and urgently need to scale up the team as soon as possible.

If anyone is interested, just write it here and I can pass on the info. Berlin-based company, fluent English an asset and tolerable German helpful! Everyone in the office speaks from decent to excellent English.

As far as the web-designer goes, they do have one person who works for the company on a regular basis. However, he has other clients and sometimes cannot devote enough time to the company and we need a back-up. If interested, reply with your email and I will write to you. You could also PM me. ;-)

Hi Shakenbake

I've previously been advised to go for around 300 pounds per day for freelance video editing in the UK, but I am not sure if this applies for Berlin, given that most stuff gets done cheaper here. 250-300 Euros sounds about right for the currency gap as gdrifter suggests.

Regarding the 3D work, I'm also interested, having studied an elective in virtual cities it sounds interesting, I have no 3D experience but if this is really no problem then please PM me the info.

Most grateful

cheers

Hello ShakenBake,

I'm fluent in both german and english and am interested in this position you're looking to fill. Same as autoflavour, I'd like to know who I should contact or how to go about sending/receiving a little more info on this. Thanks in advance!

Cheers,

Ben

Hi Mate,

Your job description sounds very much like mine. I`m actually employed as a sound designer but I also do Gfx/Video/Translation etc.

I have a little book that gives me the upper/lower rates for Agency and freelance work for most Multimedia applications. I ordered it over Amazon.de

As bad luck would have it, I`ve lent it out to someone and it isn`t back yet so I don`t have an ISBN number for you...but if you google for "Leitfaden" + "Kalkulation" + "Multimedia" it will throw up some links.

Hey all,

thanks for the info LIMA, i will check it out!

For those of you who want to apply for the job I described, please PM me and I will send you the email of the person responsible for hiring potential city builders. I spoke to him earlier in the week and he said that the positions have been filled for the moment, but they will do more hiring in two months or so. If you want to submit your CV/info to jump the gun, go for it.

Hi

I am studying graphic and web design

If I can establish myself doing freelance (or web mastering) i plan to move back to germany

Does any one know any other german site for finding freelance work or were I can post a profile.

Or for that matter an international site that denotes in euros

Thanks