Travel expenses for a job interview

61 posts in this topic

On 11/16/2014, 1:08:36, Uncle Nick said:

@ assa: If you get unemployment benefit next time you go for an interview go to the Arbeitsagentur/Job center beforehand so that you can get your travelling costs reimbursed. You have to pay up front and claims the costs afterwards. At least that's the way it was about 5 years ago.

still the case.  Infact, they have twice recompensed me for flights to the uk for interviews. Probably helps to get on with your case worker!!

55 minutes ago, RenegadeFurther said:

You should agree the travel expenses before the interview.

The company is under no obligation to reimburse you your costs.

In general that's wrong. The company is obliged to reimburse – and there is only one method of avoiding that: Stating that they don't reimburse (or only reimburse partially) BEFORE the applicant arrives/along with the invitation. 

http://karrierebibel.de/vorstellungsgesprach-fahrtkostenerstattung/

No it states "The rule of thumb" is etc.

Please state or put me in the direction of the actual law that tells a company that they must reimburse the travel expenses.

On 11/16/2016, 9:21:09, PandaMunich said:

@RenegadeFurther

Actually, it's §670 BGB.

Please see here for the answer by a lawyer: http://www.refrago.de/Bewerbungsgespraech_Muss_der_Arbeitgeber_die_Fahrtkosten_eines_Bewerbers_zu_einem_Vorstellungsgespraech_uebernehmen.frage141.html

@lermit

Use 0.30€ per kilometre driven, i.e. for the way there and back again.

Pandamunich.  Many thanks for all your very helpful posts.  You have saved me a lot of time and stress.

I was just wondering if I could trouble you one more time.  Im close to getting my tax returns ready for submitting prior to returning to the uk next week.  in the short tax return, in section 32 you specify the distance to work, and single distance by various methods.

My query is what to do if you have moved apartment in the middle of a tax year.  Should I simply enter two figures in box 110, then aggregates in the other boxes, then a note in the margin to explain, or a cover letter?

Thanks again!!

For each distance to work you also have to state the number of days in which you made that journey. You should complete this section as many times as you had different addresses in a year. For each address you give the actual distance and the actual number of days you made the journey.

For a paper application I assume you add multiple pages for this. I don't know for sure since I always use the free software provided by the Finanzamt (ElsterFormular) which allows to add multiples of each section.

I once had 3 different addresses in 1 year and worked multiple days from home, and this worked out fine using the free software.

Slightly off topic, but do these physical/travel interviews usually guarantee a job offer, or at least a 'close call'? What's the probability of you getting an offer if somebody invites you to do an interview to travel out of town in Germany?

1 hour ago, latias said:

Slightly off topic, but do these physical/travel interviews usually guarantee a job offer, or at least a 'close call'?

No, usually not. 

1 hour ago, latias said:

What's the probability of you getting an offer if somebody invites you to do an interview to travel out of town in Germany?

That depends on the number of competitors and/or wheter how many candidates fit into the job profile. 

3 hours ago, someonesdaughter said:

No, usually not. 

That depends on the number of competitors and/or wheter how many candidates fit into the job profile. 

thanks for the info!

6 hours ago, latias said:

Slightly off topic, but do these physical/travel interviews usually guarantee a job offer, or at least a 'close call'? What's the probability of you getting an offer if somebody invites you to do an interview to travel out of town in Germany?

Quite often these days, you are lucky to hear back from a company, even if you have attended an interview!!

To rvive this...

A buddy of mine ( German with fantastic English skills ) has been interviewed via Skype and now they want to meet in person...

In DE, the company that want to interveiw someone usually pays or contributes to the travel and accom costs... 

BUT whats the situation if the company is Based in the States and want him as their "European presence" ...?

Thanks

Surely a no brainer. They will pay for him for go to the US or send their man to Europe. What sort of relationship is the prospective US partner offering if the advance risk is at the expense of the DE peep? Who will be doing whom a favour? Yes, it's going to be mutually beneficial. Sure. But that's just an empty promise at this juncture. If they are not willing to stump up, the alarm bells should be ringing loud and clear.

23 hours ago, SpiderPig said:

In DE, the company that want to interveiw someone usually pays or contributes to the travel and accom costs... 

BUT whats the situation if the company is Based in the States and want him as their "European presence" ...?

Thanks

There is no rule in Germany or the States that say that a company must reimburse travel costs. 

He should agree beforehand what and who will pay the costs before any travelling is done.

31 minutes ago, RenegadeFurther said:

There is no rule in Germany or the States that say that a company must reimburse travel costs. 

He should agree beforehand what and who will pay the costs before any travelling is done.

Wrong.   In Germany the travel costs must be paid back if nothing else is agreed.   And depending on the circumstances maybe hotel and food expenses.

If the employer does not want to pay for such costs then they must inform the candidate in written about it and the candidate should decide if he/she still wants to proceed forfeiting the right to claim back the expenses.   And then it is still possible that the Jobcenter pays for the expenses instead.

About the USA of course I have no idea.

21 minutes ago, Krieg said:

Wrong.   In Germany the travel costs must be paid back if nothing else is agreed.   And depending on the circumstances maybe hotel and food expenses.

Do you have a link to this? It would be good to know as I have been burnt a few times with regards to travel expenses.

4 minutes ago, RenegadeFurther said:

Do you have a link to this? It would be good to know as I have been burnt a few times with regards to travel expenses.

Sure, you can start by Googling it:

Google - bewerbungskosten kosten bezahlen

And choose from there, for example, the first one:

https://karrierebibel.de/bewerbungskosten/

It is actually very informative because it has a graphic explaining it.   If nothing else was agreed then the employer must pay the costs.

But then it mentions something I actually didn't know until now, if a HEADHUNTER invites for a pre- interview you then you have to pay everything yourself if nothing else was agreed in advance.

3 hours ago, Krieg said:

Sure, you can start by Googling it:

Google - bewerbungskosten kosten bezahlen

And choose from there, for example, the first one:

https://karrierebibel.de/bewerbungskosten/

It is actually very informative because it has a graphic explaining it.   If nothing else was agreed then the employer must pay the costs.

But then it mentions something I actually didn't know until now, if a HEADHUNTER invites for a pre- interview you then you have to pay everything yourself if nothing else was agreed in advance.

Thanks for that