Travel expenses for a job interview

61 posts in this topic

I was interviewed by Amazon in Munich 2 months ago, i had to fly twice from Brussels to Munich for interview which cost a flight of 420 for the 1st trip and 577 for the second trip.

I expensed them the charges and i was just reimbursed 550 Euros saving thats their maximum budget.

Do i have any legal right to get the rest of money back,

thanks for some suggestions.

My email is singh060683@yahoo.de

Wikipedia says the following:

Wird der Bewerber vom potentiellen Arbeitgeber zu einem Vorstellungsgespräch eingeladen, hat der Bewerber gegen diesen einen Anspruch auf Erstattung seiner Vorstellungskosten, d. h. im Regelfall der Fahrtkosten. Unabhängig davon, ob diese Vorstellung erfolgreich ist oder nicht, müssen die verkehrsüblichen Kosten der An- und Abreise dem Bewerber ersetzt werden, ohne dass vorher hierüber eine Vereinbarung stattgefunden haben müsste. Dies ergibt sich aus § 670 BGB und ist in der Rechtsprechung allgemein akzeptiert.

Der Erstattungspflicht kann der Arbeitgeber nur entgehen, wenn er vorher den Bewerber darauf hinweist, dass anfallende Kosten nicht übernommen werden.

If they didn't tell you about the budget limitations beforehand, they are liable to assume all costs under Section 670 of the German Civil Code. That's the section you should quote when demanding the rest of your money. You may have to get lawyered up to actually get them to pay you, however.

Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer and the above does not constitute proper legal advice.

EDIT: The link miwild provided in post #2 essentially states the same information.

[adminmerge][/adminmerge]

Hi there,

I'm having a job interview in Germany shortly. Going there from Poland. Have heard there are some regulations in regard to reimbursing travel expenses in Germany, but not sure if they apply in all cases. Can someone help me please?

The company pointed out in advance, they will not refund any travel costs with a connection to the interview itself.

Is it fair or they are just allowed to do so..? I thought this is a common practice in Germany to cover the expenses, especially while coming in from abroad.

Many thanks for your thoughts!

J.

If they explicitly say that they will not refund the travel costs, they don't have to.

If they didn't say anything, it would be assumed that they would.

But you're right - it's common practice. So the fact that they won't pay for your interview is a sign that you should interpret accordingly in deciding whether it's worth the effort.

As El Jeffo said, if they state up-front that they won't reimburse travel expenses for an interview, then they don't have to.

TBH, I would really think carefully whether it's worth the money you'll have to spend, to go for the interview. If you decide to go for it, then at least try to schedule another interview or two for the same trip - since you're paying anyway, the more you can get out of it, the better. Or ask whether you can do a Skype or phone interview, which will give you a better idea of whether they can actually offer you anything of interest.

In general travel/hotel expenses are reimbursed § 670 BGB and it least in most cases standard procedure.

Train tickets 2.class and gas money based on a fixed kilometre rate.

IF you are made aware ahead of time that these costs will not be covered then that is (as EJ) mention legal. Seems you've found a cheesy outfit. I'd suggest thinking long and hard if it's worth it.

My worst experience, interview expenses-wise, was with a renowned Swiss company.

First call - they invited me for an interview. I suggested a phone interview first, for them to assess my French, as it was deemed an important aspect. Had the interview, they said my French was good enough, called me up for the second interview at their office.

Went there and back, they reimbursed nothing - hotel, travel costs, nothing. On top of it, I almost remained stranded on a mountain due to heavy snow.

Worst of all? I didn't get the job.

Oh, forgot to mention WHY I didn't get it. Apparently, my French was insufficient.

I would recommend and personally never go for a job interview if they will not at least pay travel costs.

Because in many cases one will not receive the job, and this is also an indication of what they will be like

if one works for them.

Hi,

I have asked to the company if they refund the travel expenses before the interview. and they said "of course"

After the interview, i've been trying to contact with them for 1 month now and nobody answers my e-mails..

I am unemployed obviously and i need that refund..

So they will not pay it? is there anything i can do?

I interviewed with EON once in 2007 and once in 2013 in Munich and in Essen respectively. Most good companies reimburse the costs in about two to four weeks. I remember that I once went to meet someone in Ferchau for a job with a client. I got my money in a week. That was like super amazing. Just shows how good the company is.

The first time I interviewed with EON, I told them that I did not speak a word of German. The guy who interviewed me liked my profile and told me that I could learn German in a few months, and that they would pay for it. They invited me for a second interview which was supposed to be a formality. I met two board members for a position of a project manager . I had 3.5 years of work experience then. I was a bit surprised as to why the board members wanted to see me. I then realized that it could be because I would have been the first non EU national in that branch if I got selected. I figured this out because 1.) I did not see any coloured employee in that office not that there are no white no EU people 2.) One of the board members did not even know what a work permit was.

The second interview also went well, and one of the board members was surprised that I did not know German. I told him that I was only here for a year, and that I did a super intensive MBA which normally runs two years in one year. The first guy who interviewed me assured him that I would learn German. They finally also told me that they were competing for me with another company that already offered me a job in Berlin. ( I told them this because I wanted a decision from them). It seemed like that I got the job.

To cut the story short, I got the costs for the first interview in about two weeks. After I got rejected by them after the second interview (Reason that my German was not good enough yet), I had to fight for my money. It took 6 weeks after constant reminders.

Fast forward to 2013. I thought that I would never interview with them again. I got invited for a job which really matched my profile. The interview also went well, but in the end they told me that they selected some other guy whose profile fit the role much more closely. They said that they really liked my German skills too. Anyways, I did not get the money in 4 weeks or 6 weeks. I called them up and mailed the HR contact. She told me that it was normal in big companies that it takes this long. I also worked for a huge company before, and it never took more than 4 weeks to reimburse money to employees or external candidates as far as I know. After six weeks, I started losing my patience and kept contacting the HR lady. She appeared pissed but by the time I got my money it was more than 8 weeks. I personally do not understand such companies. I mean what do they expect? That a person with more than 8 years of work experience has to pay 200-300 Euros up front and then wait for his or her money for ages? It just shows how bad the accounting department of a company is. I would gladly interview with Ferchau again ( I rejected the job offer because their client was pretty stupid) but will never interview with EON. I personally would never go for an interview where I had to spend more than 50 Euro from my pocket without it being reimbursed. I want to add that it is not mandatory that a company has to reimburse travel expenses. If they say that they will reimburse expenses, they have to. If they do not say anything, they have to. However, there are companies that do say before hand that they cannot reimburse costs. Then, they do not have to reimburse costs.

@ assa: If you get unemployment benefit next time you go for an interview go to the Arbeitsagentur/Job center beforehand so that you can get your travelling costs reimbursed. You have to pay up front and claims the costs afterwards. At least that's the way it was about 5 years ago.

If you do not get any money from a future employer or Arbeitsamt make sure to add the bills for your interview expenses to your tax report.

Under "Werbungskosten" you can list all interviews and expenses. At least you get some money back.

I then realized that it could be because I would have been the first non EU national in that branch if I got selected.

Your profile states that your nationality is German - Germany is still in the EU (unless something happened overnight).

I had an interview earlier this week.  If I get the job, Ill leave it.  However, if i dont, I would like to send them a claim for expenses.  However, I drove my own car to the interview.  In this situation, should I submit a reciept for the actual fuel used, or would it be normal to calculate based on a unit cost per km?  If so, what rate would you use?  Say 20c per km?

You should agree the travel expenses before the interview.

The company is under no obligation to reimburse you your costs.

6 minutes ago, RenegadeFurther said:

You should agree the travel expenses before the interview.

The company is under no obligation to reimburse you your costs.

There are a lot of people on here who seem to think it is the law.  If not informed beforehand that they wont pay, they therefore have to pay.

Judging by your negative 640 rating on this website, I think you are just a troll, and to be ignored.

still the case.  Infact, they have twice recompensed me for flights to the uk for interviews.