Travel expenses for a job interview

61 posts in this topic

i have been offered a job interview in Frankfurt, but the company says it will give me back my travel expenses. I was on one interview already, and the first company just booked me a ticket. This one leaves it to me. Do i have any guarantee that they will give me back travel expenses? i mean flight ticket is pretty expensive, i wouldn't come to them if they not cover it. They say they will... What if they don't? is there any way i can have guarantee that they will give me back travel expenses?

They are required by law to pay your "reasonable" travel expenses. This usually means at least rail + taxi from the train station, if it's a longer ride (let's say from munich to berlin) a flight ticket is also covered.

So if they already said they will pay for the flight, they probably will ;) It's pretty much standard.

Would anyone pay 150 to 200 euros to go to an interview themselves? Asked to go for an interview but they have said they will not pay for travel expenses but IF offered the position some arrangement may be reached. Is the rule on this thread still valid?

I know people who paid more that 1000(non-refundable). I guess it depends on how much you need the job!

If they won't pay your travel expenses then it's not unreasonable to ask how many other people they are interviewing for the position. Then you can make a decision on whether it's worth spending the money. Although if they're not prepared to pay, then alarm bells should be ringing regarding the number of people they've invited to interview and exactly how pleasant it would be to work for them.

I believe that expenses encountered during job-searching that are not refunded can be put towards Werbungskosten in your Steuererklärung (helps only if you exceed the Pauschal). At least, this was the case some years ago...

Depends on how desperately you want/need the job. You can claim such expenses against taxes, you know.

EDIT: Snap!

i attended an assessment center once, i will never do that again. it was a mad house with 20 people present. we all had the same looks on our faces - no one had been told how many people would be present. the invitation letter was so vague. and after we got there we were told no costs would be reimbursed. quite a few people were visibly upset - desperate for a job, getting a hotel to be fresh and fit at 9 a.m. then realizing 200 DM were gone. i didn't get the job, btw.

The answer is quite simply that travel costs are refunded - it's the law!

As the link provided says - If they will not pay, threaten with a solicitors letter.

If that does not work then issue a solicitors letter.

The firm then has to pay your travel costs and your legal costs...

Some outfits here know that non-Germans have difficulty in comprehending

just how generous the system is to would-be employees - and try it on.

Does this law also apply to job-agents (i.e. middle-man) inviting you for an interview/termin to discuss a prospective position/firm? Are they also obliged to reimburse the travel expenses? especially if the invitation is to visit them at the other end of Germany.

Thanks for sharing.

Does this law also apply to job-agents (i.e. middle-man) inviting you for an interview/termin to discuss a prospective position/firm? Are they also obliged to reimburse the travel expenses? especially if the invitation is to visit them at the other end of Germany.

Radio Eriwan: In Prinzip ja, aber...

Anyone who invites you to an interview must reimburse you for your costs, UNLESS they tell you up front they are not going to. In practice I have only ever had agents doing a first sweep invite me and not want to pay costs, if Im already talking to the company with an open position directly Ive never had anyone not expect to pay.

Anyone who invites you to an interview must reimburse you for your costs...

Well, they do not call it as "Vorstellungsgespräch" but rather as a termin to get to know me more. Still wondering, if they are obliged to pay for the travel costs in that case also. Any experience?

Well, they do not call it as "Vorstellungsgespräch" but rather as a termin to get to know me more. Still wondering, if they are obliged to pay for the travel costs in that case also. Any experience?

That *is* a Vorstellungsgespräch. Unless they specifically state that they are not going to pay, they are obliged to, but there are all sorts of places to hide small print.

It is also exactly the situation where I have encountered agents not wanting to pay

It would be a lot less hassle to just ask them up front than try suing them after the fact.

Thanks for your reply.

I do not want to ask upfront. If everything goes fine, I will bear them myself. If not, I will demand for them to be paid by the agent. Hope there is no legal time limit on claiming the travel costs.