Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Comparing life in Dresden and Leipzig

25 posts in this topic

Hey guys, a bit of a broad question but if you have the time if you could help me out that would be much appreciated.

Was looking to move to Dresden in September having been there many times and love it. However was under the impression that Leipzig was bigger than Dresden and being so close to each other I thought Leipzig was effectively a bigger version of Dresden perhaps.

however, despite it's apparent smaller size, I have been hearing that Dresden is still the place to go out of the two, especially here. However reasons where harder to find so was hoping to find some before making such a major decision. (mostly "better than Halle/Chemnitz, not as nice as Dresden" but not more)

So if you've got time and you've got knowledge of both, can you tell me the difference and which you think is better?

don't know what people were basing it on, but maybe along the lines of;

finding a job

apartments

night life/social...things

culture

expat "friendly" (for want of a better word)

food

transport (running out of possible topics)

i know Dresden is a big Uni city...is Leipzig not? is this part of people's opinions?

as always, thanks for your time

of course if there is a thread or website that deals with this already then please point me in that direction! :D

Cheers

Ben

I would imagine you'll find that it's probably slightly more expensive to live in Dresden (haven't lived in the east for a couple of years, so don't know how much this has changed). But on the other hand my impression was that jobs would be easier to find- what sort of jobs are you looking for? Dresden has a better flair to it (in my opinion). Leipzig has a lot of nice things to offer as well, but if you've been to Dresden already and love it, then I'd stick with it. Leipzig has a lot of students, but... it always feels more depressing to me than Dresden.

Probably neither to be honest, it still smells of and is the East.

Not hugely experienced of them but shoulder and chip comes to mind.

... I thought Leipzig was effectively a bigger version of Dresden perhaps ...

Leipzig

Area 297.60 km² (114.9 sq mi)

Population 510,274 (22/12/2007)

Dresden

Area 328.8 km² (127 sq mi)

Population 508,351 (31/12/2007)

Not hugely experienced of them but shoulder and chip comes to mind.

That's a bit harsh- some of the nicest people I've ever met have come from eastern Germany. Living there, you do get a different experience than if you live in western Germany. It will be interesting to see how attitudes and the sitaution on the whole develop over time. Anyone my age or older will have a solid experience of living in the DDR. Anyone much younger doesn't.

When I lived there, I found people in their 40s-50s to be most critical of the reunification, the US, etc. But I think they quite possibly were dealt the worst hand. If they're unemployed there (which quite a few were)... then best of luck trying to find a job. Anyway, there's a thousand point you could discuss on the subject, but it's a transitional time for eastern Germany.

My prediction is that Dresden will continue to flourish-- not so sure about Leipzig- but maybe Leipzig is just a few steps behind Dresden in that respect. No wonder really, considering the State of Saxony poured tons of money into Dresden to revitalize it.

I've traveled recently to both cities on business, and it was my impression that Dresden "gets it" to a higher degree than Leipzig.

The Lepizig "service" personnel were full thumb-in-the-soup types who I'm sure all sit in the back room muttering about how much better life was at the banana-free binocular factory waiting 10 years for a farty little Wartburg.

By comparison, Dresden was delightful ... although there's still a lot of commie concrete about.

Dresden has a better flair to it (in my opinion). Leipzig has a lot of nice things to offer as well, but if you've been to Dresden already and love it, then I'd stick with it. Leipzig has a lot of students, but... it always feels more depressing to me than Dresden.

Thanks. Maybe I should stick to Dresden, and then take trips to Leipzig and feel it out and if its good then I can move there after a while if needs be. But like I was saying, was hoping more than anything that it would be better. and also a nice distance between both Dresden and Berlin.

The student thing doesn't bother me at all...perhaps even benefits me personally...but the "depressing" thing does and might be a concern.

Leipzig

Area 297.60 km² (114.9 sq mi)

Population 510,274 (22/12/2007)

Dresden

Area 328.8 km² (127 sq mi)

Population 508,351 (31/12/2007)

ah, well either I was misled or misheard. that makes me swing again towards Dresden (larger and less densly populated)

I've traveled recently to both cities on business, and it was my impression that Dresden "gets it" to a higher degree than Leipzig.

The Lepizig "service" personnel were full thumb-in-the-soup types who I'm sure all sit in the back room muttering about how much better life was at the banana-free binocular factory waiting 10 years for a farty little Wartburg.

By comparison, Dresden was delightful ... although there's still a lot of commie concrete about.

hm slightly disappointing to hear but I guess you can't get it everywhere. From what you guys are saying I'm getting the feelings its more the mood and attitude of the two cities that separate them? which I guess is quite important if you want to live there!maybe not so if you're visiting for a weekend.

anyone want to fight in Leipzig's corner? :lol:

Can't be arsed to stick up for Leipzig or Halle for that matter. So you might as well as fuck off to Dresden where everything is rosey.

Thankfully we don't have so many wankers in the East.

Halle and Leipzig both have plenty to offer. It depends on what you're looking for in a city and what you're expecting.

:rolleyes: you're just trying to lead people astray so you can have Leipzig and Halle all to yourself... I see what you're up to...

And another thing- living in the East certainly does have it's advantages. If you've only ever lived in western Germany, you'd probably never be able to start off a story with, "So I was teaching this English class in the local communist party headquarters..."

In Dresden you get to teach rewarding classes of yuppie computer professionals. The only work you'll get in Leipzig is teaching large groups of miserable unemployed no-hopers.

I live near Leipzig but I don't know the city well. Every time I go there, there's major building going on which kind of spoils your impression of the town. Every time I've been to Dresden there's major building work going on. When both towns are finished I'm sure they'll both be very nice. I'd like if I may to say something nice about Halle/S. If you bother to look around the town you'll find it's very green city with some beautiful areas. It's smaller than Leipzig so it's got a cosy feeling. But on the other hand it's big enough to find things to do. More importantly you are 23.5% more likely to score in Halle than in any other town in Saxon.

I confirm Les is a sad lonely tosser.

i know Dresden is a big Uni city...is Leipzig not? is this part of people's opinions?

Leipzig and Halle have both a famous university. That means too many friggin' students for my liking. They should get a bloody job and stop smoking grass. Anyone who is over 30 and still a student should be made to work in a factory for 5 years.

expat "friendly" (for want of a better word)

No, piss off.

Hi Ben.

I think you answer your own question is the first few lines of your post..

"move to Dresden in September as we have been there many time and love it".

No matter where you want to live in Germany you will need a job (unless you are stinking rich - in which case just rent a flat in both cities :-)

For work you need to let us all know what kind of job you are looking for.

In my experience finding somewhere to live in Germany came down to two things, employment (for the city to go to) and what kind of area would fit with me (where in said city I want to live) etc.

Having only lived in Berlin and Dresden I cannot comment on the other cities around Germany, but in these two, each area has its own feel and people who live there.

The people who live in Dresden Neustadt are different to those that live elsewhere - in Berlin Prenzlaureberg is different to Neuköln.

Find a job, then find an area to live you will be happy in.

As you can see there's still a lot of work in progress in Dresden

post-608-1217009888_thumb.jpg

No matter where you want to live in Germany you will need a job (unless you are stinking rich - in which case just rent a flat in both cities :-)

Exactly. It's your personal circumstances which will influence you more than a town. For example, if you've got a dossy job, earning lots of money, have a great social life, have no kids and are knobbing a french au pair then even Bitterfeld would seem like an paradise.