How to post an image and upload photos to TT

97 posts in this topic

you posted a very fine picture just yesterday evening

Thank you, but as it happens the staff stuff was just the right size for stuffing into a TT post. :D

luckily i can resize pics on my digital camera, so when i post pics i took, i have to sort them out and resize the ones i want to use. for most other things, i end up using a screen capturing tool and then saving that to a .gif or .jpg.

there are lots of free resize programs. i suppose for noncommercial use, they are just fine.

there are lots of free resize programs

Windows itself has a simple and straightforward one - MS Paint

i'm trying resize a picture using paint, but entering in the pixels (100x130) i want, but it doesn't resize the whole picture, it basically crops it. can someone help?

Do not enter pixels as you may distort the picture. Instead scale it to a smaller size(80%, 70%,...)

I highly recommend a free programme called IRFANVIEW

Just google to find it.

Re-sizing just couldn't be easier!

Yeah, you are I think using the "Attributes" open which is changing the size of the image, not resizing it. In other words you'll always just get the bit in the top left hand corner.

As far as I know you cannot resize using MS Paint. I use Irfanview here as well. Provides all the basic image editing features that you need.

I've just finished a short script for windows that you can drag a folder of pictures onto and it will:

1. Create a copy of every picture in the folder that is resized to TT size (640x480)

2. Create a private album on TT and upload every resized picture (in order)

It does require that you install perl.

If you would like to try it out, PM me and I'll PM you back with instructions for installation and use - plus the items needed to run it (or where to download what you need).

Yeah, you are I think using the "Attributes" open which is changing the size of the image, not resizing it. In other words you'll always just get the bit in the top left hand corner. As far as I know you cannot resize using MS Paint.

yup, exactly. i'll use paint for run o tha mill cropping and such, but i guess for changing the size of the pic does not work.

I use Irfanview here as well. Provides all the basic image editing features that you need.

just downloaded it.

I've just finished a short script for windows that you can drag a folder of pictures onto and it will:

1. Create a copy of every picture in the folder that is resized to TT size (640x480)

2. Create a private album on TT and upload every resized picture (in order)

oooh-ahhh ;)

i just need to upload a certain sized pic to the company address book and it only work with specific pixel size, but thanks.

Hello, for the life of me, I can't upload images for my classified ads on TT. Could someone give me any pointers on things I might not be doing correctly.

Thanks.

Topics merged by admin

I'm having problems including images in a post. I click "Browse...", select the file I want from my hard disk, so the filename appears in the box, then I click the green UPLOAD button. The message "Uploading File..." appears, together with a whirly thing going round and round to show it's doing something ... but nothing further happens. It just sits there like that for ever (well, OK, 15 minutes or so) until I give up waiting, and close the window.

This happened both with .gif and .jpg files, and they were within the 80k limit. I think this is the first time I've tried to upload an image since the forum software upgrade. Am I doing something wrong?

GT, maybe you are over the global upload limit for your account? However, then you should see an error message or something.

post-6977-1170881907.jpg

I'm having problems including images in a post. I click "Browse...", select the file I want from my hard disk, so the filename appears in the box, then I click the green UPLOAD button. The message "Uploading File..." appears, together with a whirly thing going round and round to show it's doing something ... but nothing further happens. It just sits there like that for ever (well, OK, 15 minutes or so) until I give up waiting, and close the window.

This happened both with .gif and .jpg files, and they were within the 80k limit. I think this is the first time I've tried to upload an image since the forum software upgrade. Am I doing something wrong?

I had this problem the other day when I uploaded my photos of the English Garden covered in snow. When I tried it later again, the one photo at least worked. Maybe the server was overloaded at the time? No sé.

Btw, Greentea you really should tell me about your toenail. I find it very inspiring.

@Dostoyevsky: Thanks for the suggestion, but I don't think I'm over the global upload limit (didn't even know there was one), as I don't post pictures very often.

@MajorBummer: Thanks, at least I'm not the only one with this problem then. I tried again a couple of hours later, and it still didn't work.

Remind me to tell you about my toenail next time we meet. I think both myself, and the rest of TT, will be happier if I don't go into the details on a public forum. :ph34r:

I notice that, since the software "upgrade", the upload limit for photos has been reduced from 120 to 80 kB. Am I the only person to find this a little restrictive? I mean, I have Photoshop on my computer and maintain three websites so I know how to minimise image sizes, but I still find this rather on the low side, especially if you want to post more than one picture.

Rule of Thumb: for pictures with less gradient in them, with flatter areas where you can aesthetically accept a slight degradation, you can export as Gifs or Pngs in Photoshop. More colour variation demands Jpeg. Fireworks can reduce immaculately but unfortunatley isn't readily available to all. In any case, when exporting from Photoshop, you can always compare with the 2up tab and monitor your filesize. But 80k is admittedly, a bit 1998.

@GreenTea: What browser are you using?

I experienced the same problem as you a few days ago and gave up after the upload button failed to upload the pic. After reading your post I just had another go, and it still didn't work with Mozilla Firefox v. 1.0.7, but did with Internet Explorer v. 6 and Firefox v 2.0.0.1, so maybe this would work for you too?

I'm not a teccie though, so it might not have anything to do with the browser versions.