Tax advisors and accountants near Hannover

8 posts in this topic

I know this subject is veeeeeery common, but I haven't found any posts related to Hannover. I would like to file my taxes with someone who has experience with expats so I can get good advice. I've called a few offices here in town, including the one my boss uses (he's German) but haven't found anyone yet who has experience with expats.

If i can't find one I'll probably have to go to Munich or Berlin, since I've seen posts here about people there with expat experience. I imagine it's more than worth the 200 bucks trip if you get back a couple grand in taxes, eh?

Anyways, thanks in advance to anyone who has a recommendation

There's no reason to see a tax advisor in person. All affairs can be dealt with just as well, if not better, via email or phone. See TT advertiser Thomas Zitzelsberger for tax advice wherever you are in Germany.

You can also contact my CPA -- he's an American in Berlin certified as both a Steuerberater and a CPA, and he does both German and American taxes as well as bookkeeping.

(Americans may or may not be aware that they have to file with the IRS, even though the chances they have to pay tax are almost nil. You still have to go through the motions.)

If you'd like his name and contact info, send me a PM.

Cheers,

Fairfax71

Thanks for the replies. As for the in person... I hadn't thought of doing it "off-site" per-se. Not sure about it to be honest. I need to feel I can trust the person, so at least an initial face-to-face would be nice. As for the future, would are you suggesting just using Fedex?

Thomas sure does have raving peer reviews

Sounds like a plan! Thanks guys

Hello! This is my first post to Toytown, though I have lived in Germany for almost 5 years now. I just heard about this site from a XING contact and I'm glad to know there's a community here online.

Here's my situation: in January 2008 I quit my formal job (I'm no longer angestellt) and now earn all of my income on a freelance basis. I think I'm understanding the tax forms and implications, but I'm confused about Social Security obligations. The consulate sent me a pamphlet from which it seems like I should be paying into the German system, but because as a translator I am in a Freiberufler category that is not obligated to pay into the German system I can (according to the IRS located in Frankfurt) pay into a private retirement program here and then pay into U.S. Social Security as well.

My question is: what's cheaper? what's legally required? what will have the best outcome in 20 years? Because I have not yet paid into the German system for 5 years I can apply to get that sum in cash (less my employers' contributions) after I have been out of the country for 2 years (my husband and I are planning to move back to the States or Canada in 3 years or so). Alternatively, I can transfer the "points" I have collected by paying into the German system to the U.S. Social Security system.

A bit of background: I do not have the best attitude toward either system in terms of the benefits that will be available when/if I finally retire, so my initial instinct is to simply choose the route that costs the least so I can invest the other money I earn and provide for my own retirement. I'd be happy to hear from anyone who has also struggled with these issues or who knows a Steuerberater or CPA (I live in the Südheide between Hannover and Hamburg) that is well versed in both German and U.S. law in this case.

Thanks a lot!

Topics merged by admin

I'm also a self employed translator, recently started working for a client in munich. I got the cheapest form of private health insurance that the authorities will accept, but the slightly better policies were not too much more expensive.

Talk to Patrick Ott (one of the Toytown advisors, you'll find him through the health insurance article), he's an absolute gent and helped me sort the whole thing out. Tirelessly helpful, really!

So just as a follow up, I ended up going with ExpatTax link

They were very cordial, professional and have given great service until now. Initially they setup a call between me and their representative during which they openly answered all my tax related questions, and there were plenty. This was free of charge and extremely helpful. Everything was done per email and phone from then on. They've just electronically filed my 2007 taxes and sent me the pdf's to sign and send in.

I was charged 470euro for the service and, since I'm getting back a reasonable sum, it was more than worth it. It actually would have been worth it even if I didn't get back a reasonable sum because at least I'd know the Govt wont be hounding me for tax fraud, something I'm sure would cost way more than 450 bucks to fix.

So, thumbs up to Expat Tax and a grateful nod to Liselotte, who worked with me.

{}

KT