Giving birth in Nuremberg or Erlangen

26 posts in this topic

I'm almost 100% sure that Klinikum Nord does not have a maternity ward. Hallerwiese is only about 2km away from Klinikum Nord. So I think that close enough to you. And if you do not have your own vehicle, than Hallerweise is much easier to get to with public transportation.

Regarding a midwife. I think you can go to the hospital and get a list of midwives in the area. Then call each of them up and ask them if they speak English.

We had both our children at Klinikum Süd. Both times labor was smooth enough, and we had no problems. Klinikum Sud really likes to go the natural route. I think at times the doctors there are a bit overly cautious and are not willing to leave anything to chance, and will run a bunch of tests just to have that peace of mind.

Congratulations on the pregnancy and I hope you have an easy delivery.

Hi there

I had my daughter in klinik hallerwiese 3 years ago, i dont want to scare you and im not quite sure about what kind of birth plan you have, but they dont like giving epidural...this was not just my own experience, friends who had babies there said the same, no idea why..so if you do choose this hospital, question them beforehand...i insisted throughout my labour, all i got was no,not yet...very much against it...what pissed me off is throughout my labour i had to beg and beg for it until they finally gave in 10 mins before i gave birth! I also enquired about other pain relief options eg a birthing bath, fitness ball, TENS machine, nothing like that available there! i stupidly assumed back then something would be on offer, but better check, maybe they have changed in the last 3 years...pm if you need any more details =)

oh and an english speaking hebamme is easily requested (i think our dr gave us the details)..mine spoke english, she came to our house for a private "birthing class" and for up to a month i think after giving birth, she was good with post birth pain relief advice and newborn advice.

@ medic82 & @ maneki many thanks for your reply & suggestions!! :)..

can you please give me the contact nr. of your (english speaking) hebamme. We called some hebammes we got their contact nr.s from website but they don't really speak english.. :(.. thanks!

My Hebamme was great, and she spoke quite good English. I found her through Hebammen am Stadtpark. Her name is Sandra. She was very knowledgeable and friendly. I really enjoyed her visits, and she was very helpful with all the questions we had as first time parents.

http://www.hebammen-.../pages/team.php

Also, I had my child at Klinikum Sued, and found the doctors there to be quite good. I had another friend who gave birth at Hallerwiese, and when I visited there it seemed similar.

As you say you are in the south of Nuernberg, Klinikum Sued might be the better option for you. However if you don't have a car, I don't think it would be the easiest to get to.

Actually Kilinkum is very easy to get to without a car. Just take the underground U1 to Franken Mitte (basically the Franken Center indoor mall), then take the bus to klinikum Süd. I believe it is bus number 56, but I could be wrong. From Franken Mitte, to the hospital, it is about a 4 minute bus ride, or a 10 minute walk down a straight road. The buses usually leave every 10mins or less, to get to the hospital during the week days.

There are always a lot of taxis waiting the underground at Franken Mitte, so you can also take a taxi there if you can't wait for a bus.