Giving birth in Nuremberg or Erlangen

26 posts in this topic

Hi,

My pregnant wife and I are considering moving to the area for work, and were wanting to get in touch with anyone who has had experience having a baby in the Nuremberg/Erlangen/Herzo areas.

Dr/midwife/hospital recommendations really appreciated.

She'd be really keen to get in contact with any one who is also pregnant/has recently had kids there.

Also I've read that bi-lingual pre-schools are notoriously hard to find a place in, does anyone have any recommendations for preschools (2 year old) that might be accepting (September).

Thanks

I think you can may take a look at Klinikum Nürnberg (Nuremberg Hospital). It is the one of biggest hospital in Europe. www.klinikum-nuernberg.de

There at the hospital you can also ask for the list of midwife who can also speak English.

For the pre-school, it is quite difficult here to find the place...like me, I live in Amberg it give only 24 places for baby...while pre-school or kindergarten you have to book the place in advance for year. Now I just hope that I will get a place for my baby this coming September so I can go out to learn more GErman or even try to get some job.

Hi,

My pregnant wife and I are considering moving to the area for work, and were wanting to get in touch with anyone who has had experience having a baby in the Nuremberg/Erlangen/Herzo areas.

Dr/midwife/hospital recommendations really appreciated.

She'd be really keen to get in contact with any one who is also pregnant/has recently had kids there.

My wife and I are pregnant in Fürth, which is bang in the center of your suggested radius. We are still very early (10th Week, so fingers still severely crossed) and to date our most major experience has been in the Fürth Klinikum natal clinic (Nathanstift). We were, however, very impressed by the place and the people and will definitely be giving birth there.

A friend of mine is a midwife in Erlangen and although she wont be our midwife (we are looking for someone in Fürth) I can recommend her. Weve been to her for a few small things (including acupuncture against morning sickness, which works wonders). She speaks good english too, if I recall. Let me know if you want her number.

Check up on your medical insurance, by the way - If you are going to be entering the public system, the basic level of care is extremely good but it can be worth investing in an additional "Zusatzversicherung" to cover pregnancy which would give you a private or a double room. Im not sure of you can still get this if you are already pregnant, however.

Also I've read that bi-lingual pre-schools are notoriously hard to find a place in, does anyone have any recommendations for preschools (2 year old) that might be accepting (September).

This might be your question, but while you are here, definitely put your child in to a German-only school and bring it up bi-lingual. Itll pick up english from home and German from school. IMHO you dont need a bi-lingual school. Creche and Kindergarten places of any sort are pretty rare even for natives, so make sure you start looking early.

andy M

A friend of mine is a midwife in Erlangen and although she wont be our midwife (we are looking for someone in Fürth) I can recommend her. Weve been to her for a few small things (including acupuncture against morning sickness, which works wonders). She speaks good english too, if I recall. Let me know if you want her number.

andy M

I've just got to Germany and am looking for a good GynOB and Midwife in Erlangen/Nuremberg/Herz. It would be great if you could recommend someone who speaks English.

I am also very early on in my pregnancy but have already asked my doctor for recommendations on where to have the delivery. He referred me to the Hallerwiese Hospital in Nuernberg or the Klinikum in Fuerth. I love my obstetrician and his English is really good...however, I just found out that he will not be delivering the baby himself. I've asked around to some of my friends who have given birth here in Germany and they say that this is fairly normal. Of course, as an American, this is a foreign concept to me. Anyone hear otherwise?

Good luck to all of the other mommies-to-be. Maybe we can start an English speaking playgroup once all of the kids are born!

I have had two in Germany, 1 in Nürnberg, and yes it is normal for you attending doctor not to be at the birth. Nord-Klinkum, as stated above is good, and is prepared for problems. I would suggest anyone having a baby in Nürnberg to contact the hospital and ask which midwives are connected with them. Also, they do regular, I think twice a month, do tours so you can see there birthing facilities.

If you go with your regular doctor, you still will want to register with the hospital in advance so they have all your paperwork.

Oh, also, hospitals in Germany do not have air conditioners and you will want to bring your own wash clothes and towels and shower items.

Another option is to birth at home, many of the midwives do this on a regular basis.

Hi,

for those who have given birth in Klinikum Nürnberg Süd I would like to ask for help.

I would like to know which things I need to take with me to the hospital (clothes for newborn, diapers, towels, bathrobe, slippers...), or I get this things in the hospital?

Thank you very much!

Congrats on the impending event, Nbg Newbie! Here is a thread that will pretty much answer any questions you might have on what to pack for the birth. Have a look in the "Family Life" sub-forum, under "German news and life", there is a lot of good info there.

Nbg Newbie, The last time you posted and asked for information, you did not even bother coming back and saying thank you. Yet here you are again asking for more information that you could probably get all the answers to if you actually used the search function.

Since it's a Friday and I am feeling helpful, I'll go ahead and answer your question.

Bring everything that you think YOU will need. The hospital will not provide anything for you except a hospital robe, water and 3 meals a day. Anything else will be on you. If you want to bring your laptop with some DVD etc you can certainly do that, since there aren't any TV's in the room. You can rent one but it's not worth it. Plus once the baby gets there, there will be no time for TV. Bring your own shower slippers and soap. I would recommend backing some pajamas perhaps 2 or 3, (and I am not talking about those sexy little ones) bring the ones you can walk around the hospital floor with. Just bring loose clothing.

They will provide newborn diapers free of charge. At klinikum süd, they are big on doing things naturally, so they will definitely encourage breast feeding as a means for you to feed your baby. But if for some reason you cannot do this, then you can bring you own baby formula. Also they will have automatic breast pump machines in case it's needed.

Visitors are pretty much allowed there all throughout the day, but I think after about 8pm or so, they frown on it, except if it is that night that you have the baby.

My wife and I had our daughter there in 2010. Everything was wonderful.

Hello everyone! I would also recomend the Süd Klinikum in Nürnberg! My son was born there via Cesarian (emergency birth), everything was very proffesional and they really pay attention to newborn care.

Hi,

I am 29 weeks pregnant and looking for an English speaking midwife / Hebamme in Erlangen. The reason I am only looking for one now is because I just decided to give birth here instead of my homeland. Does anybody know a good one? Appreciate your reply. Thanks a million!

Try using this site to search, I found mine this way.

http://www.hebammensuche.de/hebverz.html

Simply enter your PLZ, and it will bring up all Hebammen in your area. The nice thing is that usually it also shows if they speak another language.

Keep in mind at 29 weeks, it is likely going to be very difficult to find one. I would just contact as many as you can. I sent emails, as my German phone skills were not up to par. I got responses from almost all of them, whether they were available or not. Write your request in English would be my suggestion (also what I did). If you know even a little bit of German, add that in your email.

I waited til 20 weeks because of the same reason as you, and most of them were already booked. If you can speak SOME German, you will have a little better chance. I had a great one, but her English wasn't too great. Thankfully I know enough German to get by, and we ended up doing just fine between the mix.

Good luck! The system here I found to be really great and supporting. As this was our first baby, and we have no family nearby, the midwife coming to the house almost daily for the first couple of weeks was FANTASTIC. Any questions or problems we had, she was able to help us out.

Thanks for the link! I found some Hebamme and emailed all of them. One replied being unavailable. At this stage, I will just take whoever is available. Are you staying in Nürnberg? Is your Hebamme available and willing to come to Erlangen?

Unfortunately I'm pretty sure my Hebamme wouldn't go to Erlangen. It seems to be they have a pretty small radius that they travel, since they are going to everyone's home, often every day, or every other day. I tried to get mine for a friend who was just outside the Nürnberg city limit to the south (less than 5km outside the city) and she couldn't do it.

If you have already chosen your hospital, you can also try going there and asking. If you aren't comfortable asking, most times there are fliers and brochures on bulletin boards or tables in the Kreißsaal (labor and delivery) area.

I just learned a few days ago that they are no longer allowing home births in Bavaria.

You might want to find the best hospital in your area and see which mid-wives are joined to them.

That must have been a joke. Where did you hear this? It's like banning storms or rain.

I just learned a few days ago that they are no longer allowing home births in Bavaria.

You may have misunderstood something. This is in no way, shape or form correct.

Your acquaintance might want to check her information sources. While it's true that it's becoming increasingly difficult for freelance midwives to make ends meet, due to stupid Krankenkasse restrictions and insurance requirements, I would be VERYVERY surprised to hear that home births are being made illegal.

Your claim that home births are no longer allowed in Bavaria is misleading and untrue.

Dear All,

We are searching for English Speaking Hebamme in area South of Nürnberg.

We have not yet decided with Hospital as well, doctor recommended us 2 hospital for Child birth - Kilnikum Süd and -klinik hallerwiese.

We are actually looking for another hospital 'Klinikum Nord' because it is easy to reach (near to us).

Please share your lastest experiences @ having baby in Nürnberg and possibility to get english speaking hebamme.

thanks a lot in advance.

regards,

[adminmerge][/adminmerge]