Good gifts for computer nerds

16 posts in this topic

I need to buy a birthday gift for someone whose primary hobby is computers, computer games and the like. While I have a fair amount of technical knowledge, it's more related to servers and storage than PCs, and while I'm doing some Googling I'd also appreciate some suggestions from TT's large pool of self-professed computer geeks.

The birthday boy recently bought a new super-powerful PC; I have no idea exactly what it is or what it can do, but it practically needs its own nuclear power plant, data centre and cooling system so I assume it is capable of all sorts of exciting and wonderful things.

I'd prefer not to buy any actual computer games; although he loves them, I'd rather not directly encourage that particular pasttime. He can (and does) download any of the games he wants anyway. Any other sorts of computer-related bits and bobs would be fine though. I'm looking to spend up to 100€. Many thanks in advance for your brilliant ideas.

Usb gimick gadget would work... that always gets a nerd's rocks off it seems

@ expaticus - Thanks for the link, genius!

I found a keyring that can store up to 25 pictures at the camera shop at Max-Weber-Platz but don't know if they have them any more.

Some great ideas here. Thanks for the suggestions everyone, all are appreciated!

€40 at the airport will get you a USB nuclear war hub.

post-8-1215523450.jpg

Or maybe that's a Nuclear War USB hub. Either way, t'would make a grand gift.

Maybe a 'Wi-fi' T-shirt (which glows when there's a Wi-Fi network around)? You can find it on "Thinkgeek.com".