Private home tutors that teach German

14 posts in this topic

Does anyone have any contacts of professional German home tutors?

I have done an integration course and think my German is ok but I need some more lessons to take me a bit further. I finish work at 6-6.30 everyday so a home tutor would suit me best. Have tried checking the local Bramfeld paper but nothing there.

Anyone know anyone who offers something like this?

Thanks!

Put an ad. in the "Wochenblatt". That way you can find someone who

you pay in cash per lesson.

If you mention what you would pay you will have a choice.

(I suggest EUR 25 per hour).

Remember it is most unattractive to be a freelancer here

and to declare your earnings to the tax man!

Not that many Germans are well clued up in modern teaching methods

so you will need to be selective.

Retired teachers of English are to be avoided - heavy concentration on Grammar

is distinctly "yesterday".

You can help yourself a lot in the vocab. department - you do not need help

to learn vocab. If you are above a basic level buying a Duden helps -

but don't expect it to explain everything you read in "Bild Zeitung"

(You need a living German for that..)

I should have mentioned as well that there is a huge demand for English native speakers

for conversational practice. As Hamburg is a port/trading city there are endless locals who want

to polish their telephone skills etc.

Offering 30 minutes English for 30 minutes German will give you a chance to practice

your "Ich möchte gern" and so on (and for free).

You need to structure what you want..

Again make contact via a "Wochenblatt" small ad. (The "Abendblatt" is expensive).

Hey Hamburgbound!

I found this site by searching for an "English-German-Tandem".

I'm a nativ german speaker and would like to improve my English. As I hate to learn vocabulary, the only way for me to learn is talking.

If you are interested in conversation in German and English let me know!

I'd like to reopen this topic. I'd love to hear from anyone who has a strong recommendation for a private German tutor. I've been taking intensive classes but want to explore if this is a better method for me. thanks in advance!

25/hour is too high for German teachers. English teachers can command that amount because of the demand, but it's not normal for German teachers to get comparable rates. 9 to 15/hour are competitive rates for private German instruction.

Try Tandem learning as stated above. Put an ad on Kijiji. Post a note at the local Budni. Sign up for badminton and practice your German there. A friend of mine has two tandem partners and she says it works out really well.

Good luck!

Hi!

Taking one-on-one lessons is a good choice for flexible, effective and therefore fast learning.

Most students manage to pass the B1-certificate (“Zertifikat Deutsch” which is the standard test for immigration purposes) after about 100 lessons of 1:1 training. Compare this to the 350-600 lessons of intensive small group training the Goethe Institut recommends for B1!

Well, I certainly cannot agree to some of the above comments concerning the fees and the quality to be expected when deciding to work with a professional trainer.

The Goethe Institut charges EUR 65 (EUR 60 when booking more than 20 lessons) per 1:1 lesson with a good reason. The training will be conducted by a trainer who is proficient in the German language, its didactics, and maybe in intercultural communication as well - short: a professional trainer.

How does Berlitz manage to charge but EUR 39 (offer for August 09 only) per lesson? Have a look at their requirements for the position of a language trainer (“Sprachlehrer”): Be a native speaker and … just soft skills. That’s all! They keep the myth alive that talking to native speakers is going to boost your command of that language like nothing else. It might come in handy that people with the mere quality of being a native speaker are quite affordable to hire. I know what (not) to expect there. Interesting enough, the sales position they offer requires professional training...

Of course there are highly qualified language trainers working for more affordable prices than the Goethe Institut charges. (No serious language trainer will be available for the EUR 9/15 hinted in the comment above – just calculate the income per year, considering the freelance trainer has to pay for his private health insurance, pension scheme, ... you name it.)

A simple way to tell good teachers from mere native speakers offering their service is asking for qualification. Most language trainers ask their employers for an occasional reference or take a copy of their student’s language certificates.

There is no harm in asking for a trial lesson before booking. Whenever I start working with a new private student I offer one full training (90 minutes) free of charge after an initial meeting. This is a good way of finding out if working together makes sense.

Cheers

Ulrich

By the way: Tandem training is a fine option for meeting nice people. … but I wouldn’t go as far as comparing it to the advantages of 1:1 lessons conducted by professional trainers. When considering tandem training, ask yourself: How much of a language trainer am I? And this is exactly what you can expect to get.

Looking for a private German tutor for me and my 2 daughters ages 14 & 11.  Preferably our house in Pullach.

Bfish

My wife and I use a (very good) teacher via Skype.

If interested let me know and I pass you the details.

On 25.8.2009, 22:04:07, Ulrich (Hamburg) said:

How does Berlitz manage to charge but EUR 39 (offer for August 09 only) per lesson? Have a look at their requirements for the position of a language trainer (“Sprachlehrer”): Be a native speaker and … just soft skills. That’s all!

Indeed. My wife trained very hard and taught her native language in her country before moving abroad, where she worked for more than one language institue. She was shocked when she learnt among other Berlitz trainers the ONLY professional training  some got was mechanical engineering.

I would like to revive this topic hoping there are some good recommendations out there. I've been to a private school in Hamburg today to enroll for an intensive course and long story short is that i am looking for a private German teacher with a good track record (feedbacks) that would be available for face to face classes. 

Any advice based on first or second hand experience is welcomed! 

If you are in Eimsbüttel I can recommend someone if you are in Eimsbüttel area but she would charge I think upwards of 20 EUR/hr. Maybe you can try Ebay kleinanzeige also? That's how most advertise both offer and seek sides. Because usually cost effective only when the tutor lives or works close to you.

Hey there! I'm not a "professional" but I'm experienced in helping children with German at school (I'm a native speaker so on the other hand my english might not be the best haha) and can help with learning German :)