Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Barack Obama makes speech at Berlin's Siegessäule

186 posts in this topic

The date seems confirmed due to him meeting with Merkel that morning, but the time and place for his expected speech is not yet hammered out. You may hear something very soon that is "confirmed".

Hey, where did all the drama on this post go?

Are we allowed to discuss Obama in general here or just where and when he's speaking?

i don´t know yet if i´ll go because as much as i think he´s the very best candidate, i´m not one for celebrity-following, and that´s what it seems to be turning into. i guess i didn´t so much think of that while i was following the news and hoping he´d be the president, but he really is quite the rock star, eh? who has read the zitty article on this visit? it was downright artistic how they managed to pack in so little substance in two pages. ...though i suppose it's not his fault that everyone is turning him into a celebrity, and he has stated that he doesn't want the photo-op question to detract from what he's saying.

i will probably drop by out of curiosity. i am not sure i would want to meet the man though because i think i´d be a bit overwhelmed by his residual rock-star aura and wouldn´t be able to tell him how much i disliked the way he just refused to take a stand on the death penalty and signed a bill granting immunity to bush and the telephone companies that helped him spy on americans and i'm still not sure where to stand on his stand on palestinian/israeli mediation. in the end they are all human politicians who act under a compulsory feeling that they must compromise with each other, after all, though some are better than others and he happens to be the best that has come along in about a lifetime (at least my moderately young lifetime) and quite possibly he's not as tied up into the favor-granting, mutual backrubbing system, though that is not showing so much in his recent decisions.

just a few of my more oberflaechliche opinions and thoughts

though rock stars have been doing some good things too lately, i must say. it's just strange how the aura spreads and what it can do

cool hat, MarkL

i just read that the sale of american flags here has plummeted of late (of late being the past eight years or so) and they don't know if it'll go up or not. but i for one want to buy a flag. what do you guys think of this? am i indulging in a dangerous post-world cup nationalistic thoughtless mob mentality or does it mean something different now because of the context? who here flies american flags proudly and why, and who not and why not?

Where's the conversation, everyone? This posting has been read so many times.

I've decided I'm going to join the crowds even though I have no cool hat like MarkL. I'm really quite pro-Obama

Where is everyone??

cool hat, MarkL

i just read that the sale of american flags here has plummeted of late (of late being the past eight years or so) and they don't know if it'll go up or not. but i for one want to buy a flag. what do you guys think of this? am i indulging in a dangerous post-world cup nationalistic thoughtless mob mentality or does it mean something different now because of the context? who here flies american flags proudly and why, and who not and why not?

plummeting sales is a good thing, it means that people aren't burning them on the streets and hanging them upside down like they used to when i moved here.

I dont understand why the title of this topic was changed..?

He is confirmed to speak at the victory column at 7pm.

This has been confirmed by multiple sources!

Because when you posted it, it was not confirmed. In fact, as far as I know it still isn't (doesn't mean it isn't true, but it is not confirmed).

Where exactly is the victory column in Berlin? I'm planning to come to Berlin for the speech on Thursday and then hang out at Charles' Party at the Cinestar in Potsdamer Platz on Friday.

Dang it, looks like I lost the bet with Von. I better go and dig out the monopoly money.

Hi, I receive this email from Democrats Abroad and might be of interest to others:

Dear Democrats in the Berlin Area!

Senator Barack Obama to Give Speech in Berlin

CHICAGO, IL - On Thursday, July 24, 2008, U.S. Senator Barack Obama will visit Berlin, Germany. Obama will give a major speech on the historic U.S.-German partnership, and the need to strengthen Transatlantic relations to meet 21st century challenges in front of the Siegessäule at the Grosser Stern in Tiergarten Park. The event is free and open to the public, and tickets are not required.

THURSDAY, JULY 24

Berlin, Germany

BARACK OBAMA SPEECH

Siegessäule at the Grosser Stern in Tiergarten Park

Berlin, Germany

The event is free and open to the public. Tickets are not required.

Gates open to the public: 4:00 PM

Public Entrance: Straße des 17. Juni at Brandenburg Gate.

Event is on the east side of the park. Public should use the following public transportation stops: Potsdamer Platz, Under den Linden, and Hauptbahnhof.

***For security reasons, do not bring bags. Please limit personal belongings. No signs or banners permitted.***

Additional event updates for members of the public will be posted at www.barackobama.com/berlin

Media Coverage: The event is open to the press but space is limited. To request credentials, please visit http://www.democratsabroad.org/sites/all/m...amp;qid=1162506

Further media logistics details to be announced as soon as they become available.

BARACK IN BERLIN

Is Obama Speech Site Contaminated by Nazi Past?

Finally, Barack Obama's campaign has settled on a site for his Berlin speech. But some German politicians have now criticized his choice as being one full of Nazi-related symbolism ...

I am coming from hamburg. I am neither american nor a big fan of politics but still cant wait for the speech

I might very well come out for this event from Stuttgart. I was in Texas volunteering with the Obama campaign for the primaries and caucuses there, and would really enjoy finally getting to see the candidate. Does anybody know the venue well? Is it big enough to hold a huge crowd? Should we bring binoculars to actually see the candidate?

its a huge traffic round-a-bout right near the tiergarden with a giant statue in the middle (siegessäule). it should be able to fit lots and lots. same area where the love parade was held. I think it wouldn't hurt to bring binoculars!

I dont understand why the title of this topic was changed..?

He is confirmed to speak at the victory column at 7pm.

This has been confirmed by multiple sources!

Sorry to hear that, but I understand that you are not in a position to know what is going on in Berlin, seeing as you live here and all ... <_<

Where exactly is the victory column in Berlin?

Siegessaüle :lol:

Seeing that going down really well in the Bible Bashing Belt. Excellent photo ops.