Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Barack Obama makes speech at Berlin's Siegessäule

186 posts in this topic

Join Dems Abroad (for US Citizens and Green Card holders only) and you will get an email when the official official time is known.

Done.

I for one am looking incredibly forward to this. I'm more excited about Obama than I've been about any politician that I can remember in my lifetime.

I think addressing Parliament or Congress is where Heads of State and extraordinary dignitaries should have a monopoly as that commands the respect of the hosting Government and the people. If the Gate can host the Love Parade, it can certainly stand having Obama speak in front of it.

Well, looks like it's official.

But...I don't see any confirmation? :huh:

It doesn't say anything like "Berlin to go ahead with BB Gate speech, despite Merkel's disapproval". They make it seem like it's all still up in the air.

In fact, the second link pretty much says exactly what I posted earlier (stop stealing my ideas, you lurking Spiegel writers)

The German government, however, is more concerned with other possible side-effects of the speech. An overly warm welcome for Obama could anger the Republican candidate, John McCain, as it would not exactly be a good starting point should McCain be elected this autumn. Furthermore, any indication that Berlin is over-eager to see the end of the Bush administration is not likely to play well in Washington.

JB, if it's getting this much buzz in the press it's going to happen. Do you want to bet?

Sure, €50. I'll give you my Paypal address after the speech is confirmed at the JFK Schule :P

Nah but seriously, I'd love to see it happen at the Gate as much as anyone.

But media hype is one thing, creating real-life divisions within the German government is something different. I mean, isn't Wowi worried about the implications of disobeying the Chancellor?

If he ignores Merkel and then McCain wins, he'll be screwed.

The possible negatives outweigh the positives is all I'm saying.

And let's be honest, Germans aren't exactly famous for their love of taking risks and chances. :rolleyes:

Yeah, the Merkel is a puppet of the Bush administration so she doesn't want to support this.

Well let's see, there's 50 Euros at stake, do you take Monopoly money?

Yeah, the Merkel is a puppet of the Bush administration so she doesn't want to support this.

Ah, good point, I totally forgot about that. Very true.

Well let's see, there's 50 Euros at stake, do you take Monopoly money?

Well, I would have accepted it, but I recently found out that the Berlin version of Monopoly made Hauptstrasse, my former 'kiez' in Berlin, the cheapest street on the board.

So now I'm totally against Monopoly :P

...If Brandenburg Gate is s a problem, then just have him speak at the Rathaus in

Schoeneberg -- it's much more politically charged and every news report would then include the word KENNEDY rather than REAGAN and GORBACHEV.

Stir up some controversy to create interest, and then go with the original plan, i.e. speak at exactly the same place as Kennedy.

What are the chances that he utters the statement "ich bin ein Berliner" ? ;)

Well, looks like it's official. He's going to speak about transatlantic relations.

It will surely be a rousing speech that tells everyone what they want to hear.

Looks like they've moved the meeting with the campaign manager from Tuesday to Monday *tomorrow*.

If you're an active member of Democrats Abroad, you should have gotten an email with where/when and why. I'll try to post on Tuesday if I have more details.

Otherwise, Monday night, July 14th, after this meeting - there will be Live music for Obama - at White Trash Fast Food starting at 10 PM. Cost is 5 eur to enter.

Doesn't he know that the wall is not there any more. I hope he takes time to visit the camps then he will find out that the Americans did not liberate Auschwitz.