Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Barack Obama makes speech at Berlin's Siegessäule

186 posts in this topic

Staunch conservatives or redneck American may not give a hoot what Europe thinks about the next President of the USA, whoever it turns out to be.

But that sits in contradiction to the bitching and a moaning of the last 7+ years about "Anti Americanism" and a cleft between the USA and much of Europe over the Middle East that was primarily casued by Dubya and his chorts.

He's not doing it for his supporters or detractors on here.

He's doing it to get on the TV news Europe wide.

A few ex pat voters, less than in Mexico I'm sure, may have a marginal influence if the vote is tight.

What Obama is going for though is a warm wave of sympathy from Europe to give him some leeway if he wins.

Considering I worked at the Democrats abroad tent on Saturday at Amerikafest and saw how crazy (Obama-mania has hit Germany) the handouts and sales were - to Everyone -not just Americans, It wouldn't be bad for him to come here. He's well liked,and at least seems to have made a good impression on the people of Berlin. We had about 20 volunteers - all of us were excited to know Obama's headed this way and hoping to meet him.

FYI, the Democrats Abroad are having a meeting July 15, and Obama's Senior Campaign Manager - Karen Timulty - is supposed to be giving a little speech and/or session as one of the guest speakers. My personal opinion is that we might know more from that meeting - if the news media doesn't have it then. Guess we'll find out.

Obama at the Brandenburg Gate. What a powerful image. He's clearly a very clever operator.

We are looking for 10 people to work at the event and sell Obama campaign buttons and t-shirts.

Why should people in Europe want to buy merchandise promoting a US political candidate? Most people here can't vote for him.

it would be interesting if he came to Munich

I can't see why he'd bother, unless it would allow him to tap into the symbolism and statesmanship of previous presidential visits to Munich.

Most ridiculously half-hearted attempt to secure votes in politics for a long time. If elected president, I will sit on the fence at every possible opportunity.

Nah, if fence-sitting was what he was looking for surely he'd come to Ireland instead? That would also give him the opportunity to look up his Irish roots. :P

O'Bama sounds Irish to me.

On a more serious note, Obama could have just as easily gone to France where he has also achieved rock star status and made some speech there, however, as he's obviously very keen on playing up this Kennedy connection and milking it for everything that it's worth, it makes sense for him to go to Berlin specifically.

As well as getting the expat vote, it could be that Obama is setting his sights on the period AFTER he is elected too. The Bush presidency has very substantially damaged the view of the USA here in Europe to the point that it is becoming very hard for EU governmenbts to defy their electorates and stay allied to the USA. Showing a positive and constructive voiew to European leaders and people is an important step in repairing that damage at amn early stage in his campaign.

Got a link on that confirmation or just more Roger Cohen's column?

So tell us, is this Mr. Obama himself posting this on TT? :D If not, what is your role in his campaign?

I will be in Berlin on the July 24 to witness this event if I get a definite confirmation from people who know people, who know people, who know Obama.

But hell no, I won't sell any Obama merchandise on the street, so don't even ask me. :D

Join Dems Abroad (for US Citizens and Green Card holders only) and you will get an email when the official official time is known. We will also be putting together a trip for this event that you can join in on. More than that I cannot say cause I have heard nothing official and I have official ears.

I don't know if this has been brought up yet and maybe I'm the only one that feels that way, but I don't think I like the idea of Obama speaking at the Brandenburger Tor. He is not president yet (but I hope he will be, he's got my vote) and I read a couple of quotes from his campaign advisors about how the gate would make such a cool backdrop. The whole idea of it kind of cheapens the significance of the place, doesn't it? I would love for him to give a speech in Berlin and I know plenty of people that'll go, just do it somewhere else. Come November and he's the new president elect, go right ahead. Right now, it just feels like his campaign wants to use the place to create this statesman-like imagery without really getting the heavy symbolism. I'm sure it would be very effective. Maybe McCain will want to do it too? And any independents running? I think the Brandenburger Tor should be reserved for actual heads of state, not just people nominated for the job.

Curious to know if anyone else has thought about this...

@meikeerik, in the evening news on the way back from work I heard that the German government is not exactly delighted about the idea (presumably the CDU/CSU part), however, the final decision rests with the city of Berlin and since Wowi's in favour, I guess it'll probably happen.

I'm not so sure it's a good precedent though.

Yeah, I don't think it will happen at the Brandenburg Gate. If Berlin allows it, it will absolutely reek of favoritism. It would be viewed as an enormous FUCK YOU to the Bush Administration. Which would be great, but then everyone will want to give a speech there. If Obama can do it, then why not the NPD? This is a free country and fair is fair, right?

Plus, if McCain wins in November, US-German relations would be pretty awkward to say the least (assuming McCain doesn't give a speech in front of the Gate as well).

It's a fantastic idea as a promotional stunt, and I would love to see it actually happen, but I just can't imagine Berlin will approve this.

If they do approve it, I'll be very impressed by their HUGE set of balls.

I wonder what Obama will have to say about the missile defence shield, if anything. Maybe he'll slide round the issue. But from the way things look at the moment, a lot of people are going to be more interested in how he plans to deal with it and with any Russian/Iranian reaction to it than in how good he looks in front of the Brandenburg Gate.

This symbolism crap only matters to the partisan bickering in Germany. Who cares? Americans only see that he's speaking in Berlin and Germans would really only see Obama. If Brandenburg Gate is s a problem, then just have him speak at the Rathaus in

Schoeneberg -- it's much more politically charged and every news report would then include the word KENNEDY rather than REAGAN and GORBACHEV.