Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Barack Obama makes speech at Berlin's Siegessäule

186 posts in this topic

Via Spiegel.de: Barack Obama is considering a major speech in front of Berlin's Brandenburg Gate.

Germany's ambassador to Washington, Klaus Scharioth, has reportedly worked for weeks to convince Obama's campaign that the candidate's only large European appearance should take place in Berlin. Foreign Minister Frank-Walter Steinmeier talked to Obama by phone last April and learned that he might visit Germany. In the meantime, according to SPIEGEL sources, Steinmeier's staff has set plans in motion for an Obama appearance in the capital by the end of July. ... No location has been announced, but the Berlin Senate has reportedly been asked whether Obama can speak in front of the Brandenburg Gate, where former US President Ronald Reagan gave a famous speech in 1987. Reagan made a show of asking then-Soviet premier Mikhail Gorbachev to "tear down" the Berlin Wall.

post-16-1215453421.jpg

Clever.

Has a mixture of statesmenlike, rebuilding bridges with "old Europe" that Dubya destroyed.

Symbolism of over coming division. A historic location, but also a funky location.

I have my doubts about the guy but if I was in Berlin I'd go along to hear him speak.

If it does go ahead, it'll be on TV from Kerry to Kiev so it's a chance to speak to not only Americans in Europe but also make a good impression on Europeans too.

"Mr. Putin ... rebuild this wall!" (massive cheers ... then he ducks into the new US embassy everyone hates so much). He'd solidify his godlike status with both the Germans and US lefties (Reagan-haters all) at the same time. And then we all get retroactive Solidariataetzuchlag refunds, and the Russians get their binocular factories, lignite coal power plants and toxic waste dumps back surrounded by completely rebuilt infrastructure! Win-win!

Seriously, it would be a masterstroke for him to do this. Smart guy. Good candidate. Great campaign. Hats off if he actually does it.

if he's smart, he will avoid germany and france. neither country has a positive image in middle america. i can just see the republican TV commercials now.

are we really so out of touch with the u.s., us expats? americans don't care what europeans think. i'm only being honest.

I think, for most US voters, candyland's observation is generally correct. McCain's recent visit to Mexico puzzled me, and Mexico is of greater significance to the US and the US electorate than Germany is.

I suspect you're probably right that the good ole boy sat on his porch in Arkansas neither knows nor cares where Berlin even is but i think the people who wield mighty pens and operate the vote rigging apparatus spin campaigns will take note.

I see the possibility of him making a speech in front of Brandenburg as purely for the sake of image building amongst Americans as the well-oiled Republican machinery is making him appear in the media to be weak and inexperienced on issues related to foreign/international affairs . Any secondary benefits he gets out of it among the Europeans would be only gravy.

Kennedy (and I believe Reagan did too) made a speech there and they both appeared like extraordinary statesmen.

Perhaps it could be arranged for him to go to Munich instead?

Doesn't seem to be much interest at this end. :)

I do beg to differ, if Obama does show up here in Berlin, a close friend and I will both definitely gather up a group of about 20-30 strong to show up and support. Obama '08 - BETTER BELIEVE IT, IT IS INEVITABLE!

JC

Clever.

Yes, I wonder which part of the campaigning team thought long and hard about getting him to stand effectively in front of the American Embassy.

I am in Europe (kind of but kind of not for those of you who don't approve of such things - i.e. the majority of my potential electorate)

Most ridiculously half-hearted attempt to secure votes in politics for a long time. If elected president, I will sit on the fence at every possible opportunity.

The old white bloke is a shoe in to win. Doesn't really matter which side he is campaigning for. Will be a bit of a bonus if he is sane (Reagan), can keep his pants on (Clinton) and gives at least the impression of intelligence (Bush). But one shouldn't expect too much, one shouldn't. As long as he believes in the American God, all will be fine in the world.

Hi, I own a political merchandising company in USA and my partner will be in Berlin for Obama's speech which is tentatively set for July 29, 2008. We are looking for 10 people to work at the event and sell Obama campaign buttons and t-shirts. Workers will be paid on a commission basis, average earnings for 6 hours of work will be $100-$300. Details: Workers needed to sell Obama merchandise

I see the possibility of him making a speech in front of Brandenburg as purely for the sake of image building ... Kennedy (and I believe Reagan did too) made a speech there

Kennedy's speech wasn't near the Brandenburger Tor. He spoke at the Rathaus Schöneberg and the Frei Universität.