Jobs on U.S. Army bases in Germany

76 posts in this topic

I'm looking for a job preferably on Panzer or Patch Military Bases. But i want a Government position. Where do I look??????

@ Janetlynn039: maybe you could work for DoDDS = "with military families" via the School System!?

I used to work with them (was once mil dept daughter) but am not a US citizen and they will no longer hire LN = local nationals :(

... I am also looking to work for the mil/gov system (again) but have a hard time finding a position since I have no College (only German Vocational Training in general Office Administration...)

AAFES had masses of openings... all closing today(!) They opened a huge shopping mall in Ramstein (a bit far to commute from MA though)

Good luck :)

The system for a GS position on post is definitely challenging.

Question for those who are working as contractors here...many of you have mentioned applying with the companies here and have implied that IT positions are usually abundant. My husband is an IT Proj Mgr and we've talked with most if not all the firms here (Stuttgart) only to get the same answer - no clearance, no job. Very much the chicken and the egg. He hasn't worked for the Fed Gov't before so no clearance, yet there haven't been any opportunities outside of GS work to get one.

Just wondering if anyone has any recommendations/suggestions?

Thanks

contractor jobs are disappearing as the government is on an insourcing binge right now and will also be consolidating bases over the next 5 years. without prior military service he has zero chance of landing a GS job unless a) he has extremely desirable and hard to find skills/certifications (CCIE for example) or B) he's already working on a government installation and they really like him and/or his position is slated to get insourced. Best bet, get hired on with a DOD contractor stateside and get his clearance. However, most contractor positions are for hands on (sys admins, field techs,etc) - very few of the existing and disappearing jobs are for project managers

poohsan is correct, Bianca. It would cost the contractor $200K each time a person needed their initial clearance. And depending on the type, age of the employee, amount of moving around and the complexities of the background, it could take up to a year for the clearance to be granted. The company could have the potential employee work while the background work was being done. Very complex. Easier to hire a recently retired service member with a clearance or for a current contractor to work for a new company.

Chances of getting a GS job in the states is easier than Germany, right now.

My daughter currently has a temporary work permit in Austria, working as an au pair - she would like to send resumes to apply for jobs currently posted in Germany - quick question is: does this ordinary resident rule apply to her as she is temporary in Austria, NOT the host country? Anyone know the answer to that?

I'm looking for a job preferably on Panzer or Patch Military Bases. But i want a Government position. Where do I look??????

Are you a military member or under SOFA status? (MWR, AAFES, NAF, etc.) If ordinary resident or without status, you cannot apply for GS jobs unless you return to the U.S. for at least a *year.

*questionable

Normally, they are hard and fast on the 1 year rule, never accept a job until after the 12 month point. You can still apply before hand and be made an offer; you just can't accept it until after the 12-month point. You will be required to sign paperwork attesting to being a US resident for 12-months. If you flub it; it can be expensive.

From Civilian Human Resources Agency - Europe (CHRA-E)

How to determine if you are Ordinarily Resident.

So the key is if you reside locally, have a residence permit (registered) and have a job in the local job market.

There are always exceptions fo course, but get it in writing up front.

Hello! 

Where can I find job offers for Local Hires in the US army? The jobs I'm interested could be anything that doesn't require any skills, e.g. cleaning buildings etc.

On 7/18/2018, 11:45:40, Rabalo said:

Hello! 

Where can I find job offers for Local Hires in the US army? The jobs I'm interested could be anything that doesn't require any skills, e.g. cleaning buildings etc.

Hi there. I'd go to clearancejobs.com and search for jobs under "OCONUS"

On 18.7.2018, 17:45:40, Rabalo said:

Hello! 

WHY?

- why do you so desperately want to work on base, and why do you have no qualifications?

Are you a terrorist?