Jobs on U.S. Army bases in Germany

76 posts in this topic

They only hire US Nationals from the US. Since you are German, you would onyl qualify as a local Hire which means you need to be in Germany before you go for your interview. Local Hires jobs are usually useless crap jobs like flipping burgers and cleaning floors. They do not pay that well.

@darknight

the job posting I saw was for an office admin. and it paid pretty well. This was not a NAF position. They only hire Non-us-citizens, they called it LN. The only things is, I would have to be in Germany.

Then apply for it and tell them that you'll be back in DE at xxx time for an interview..

They only hire US Nationals from the US. Since you are German, you would onyl qualify as a local Hire which means you need to be in Germany before you go for your interview. Local Hires jobs are usually useless crap jobs like flipping burgers and cleaning floors. They do not pay that well.

That is incorrect, as a green card holder he/she could also be hired for a NAF job. Not all local hire jobs are crap jobs either many are admin positions and the pay isn't that bad and as an LN employee you will also get 30 days holiday plus German holidays and in some cases US holidays also. But as you stated the LN positions are for people living in Germany & if you put down a US address you will most probably not even be considered for the position.

When was the last time you saw a green card holder (Non-US Citizen), hired for a NAF position in a foreign country

from the US? In the 8 years dealing with the US Govt./Military system I have never seen one. NAF employees hired

from the US are usually selected for very high positions. Having said that, they are almost always US Citizens.

I said a green card holder COULD be hired for a NAF job, and a lot of NAF positions hired from the US are NF3, they are not at all high level positions, you seem to have a thing about NAF jobs being high level & LN and local hire being dogsbodies jobs, have a look around at the jobs going right now there are some NF4 positions with a salary of $35,000, anyway most NAF positions tend to be lower level.

I am a US citizen who is not currently living in Germany. I am planning to travel to Germany on a 90-day tourist visa - under military classifications, I would not be considered "ordinarily resident" during my stay. I wish to seek civiliam employment with the US military. Although most of the suggestions I have read so far suggest to apply to civilian military jobs online BEFORE traveling to the country as the pay is more favorable, the majority of the jobs open to ALL US citizens are high level jobs which I do not qualify for. The "lower-level" jobs posted on the various listings all require at the very least that the US citizen resides in the local commuting area (but is not ordinarily resident), so I do not qualify for those either. Would the way around this be to apply for the jobs once in Germany? If I "self-nominate" myself for a local low-level (not LN) position, how would the system be aware that I am now in the local commuting area since most people have suggested against applying in person on base? I'd like to have clear information before leaving since the process is very complicated. Thank you!

Not sure if this has been said before, but as a person that has been working for the US military overseas for about 10 years now I have to say getting "civilian government" jobs, or GS/GG jobs, are the hardest to get. Not only is it complicated, but most of the time from what I've seen they only hire ex-military types who know the hiring officials already and have worked in the same building/base when they were in the service. Usually they have the jobs reserved while they are in the service, so when the separate/retire, they go through the formality of the hiring process fully knowing they already have the job. People caught on to this and are trying to change the way its done, but I still see it. About 99% of the GS employees in my building here on Hohenfels are ex-military.

But I can understand the governments take on it. It's not only a smart thing to do, it's also economical. They don't have to go through the hassle of bringing a person and their kids overseas because they're already here. No need to get aquainted with the Army way of life because they're prior service. No need to worry about if they person knows how to do the job because the hiring offical is probably also ex military and already knows what you can/can't do from their familiarity with your military background. It's kinda like a big family that hire's its own. It's rare that an "outsider" or non-military person that hasn't work intimately with the hiring official before actually get a decent shot at a job. I mean it does happen, just not that much. I've made it as far as getting a call back once for a GS job, but in the end they hired someone that was already there on the base. An ex-Army guy that worked in the same building.

The way I would go is government contractor. You can apply in the states, they don't have as much of a ex-military favorism thing going on, the salary is usually better, and you get most if not all of the same benefits of a civilian government guy working next to you. The hiring process is a lot more fair I think. Depending on what industry you're in, they've got all kinds of government contracting jobs on bases. I usually apply, get a number to the hiring official on the base, and call them directly like "I just applied for ***** job, and I just wanted to call to tell you a little bit about myself and why I'm good for the position." 80% of the time they'll find your resume right on the phone and schedule a phone interview from the states!

I am a US citizen who is not currently living in Germany. I am planning to travel to Germany on a 90-day tourist visa - under military classifications, I would not be considered "ordinarily resident" during my stay. I wish to seek civiliam employment with the US military. Although most of the suggestions I have read so far suggest to apply to civilian military jobs online BEFORE traveling to the country as the pay is more favorable, the majority of the jobs open to ALL US citizens are high level jobs which I do not qualify for. The "lower-level" jobs posted on the various listings all require at the very least that the US citizen resides in the local commuting area (but is not ordinarily resident), so I do not qualify for those either. Would the way around this be to apply for the jobs once in Germany? If I "self-nominate" myself for a local low-level (not LN) position, how would the system be aware that I am now in the local commuting area since most people have suggested against applying in person on base? I'd like to have clear information before leaving since the process is very complicated. Thank you!

Keep in mind this is for AF (appropiated funds) positions, GS, NSPS, etc. Applying while in Germany has no bearing. The application is online. You are required to fill out personal biographical information and that includes your current address. In most cases you must have a US address. During the hiring process they will conduct a background investigation, they will quickly learn where you last resided and when you left, etc. You can not give a bogus German address to get around this, they will find out and that will result in not getting hired or being fired if you are already hired. If you really want a job here in Germany watch USA Jobs and apply for the ones you can. The best advice I can give is to read the job announcements carefully, follow the rules and with perseverance you will be successful. I would not come here without the firm job offer or you risk "ordinary citizen" status and as far as I know you can never get a GS position. Best of luck to you!

Hi i would be arriving in Germany in two weeks and i would like to get a job in a military base. I'll be living in Nuremberg and hopefully i could get job in Ansbach. How hard and does it take time to get a job in the AAFES and would i need a work permit from Germany. I know that most AAFES jobs doesn't pay that well and some even are part times but for me at the begining would be good enough so i can spend time with my son and have the time to learn some German. Just in case im a US Citizen.

No work permit. You will be working for the miltary (MWR), that's if you get hired. You have 3 months to get SOFA status.

People hoping to get some sort of job on a US military base should bear in mind the fact that there is a major drawdown of US forces here in Germany.Many bases have closed and more are slated for closure including Mannheim. You are looking at a shrinking job pool versus a growing applicant pool.

Almost all the decent jobs go to servicemembers' spouses. You can apply for the jobs, but it's an almost unwritten rule that they go tot he wives of 1SG's, CSM's, CPT's, and such.

It's usually the spouses of lower-ranking people working in AAFES stores (or the teenage kids of enlisted servicemembers)but Lexicon's point is generally correct.

Almost all the decent jobs go to servicemembers' spouses. You can apply for the jobs, but it's an almost unwritten rule that they go tot he wives of 1SG's, CSM's, CPT's, and such.

For Naf jobs it is a Written Rule, When you apply you are put in a catagory... 1 = spouse with "spousel Preference" Usually there first time appling for a job at that base, 2 active duty (non officer) looking for part time work, 3 cant remember, 4 all other dependents w/out special preference and so on. When hiring they MUST hire a cat 1 as long as they meet the Minimum job requirments evan if a cat 2 has more experience ect... Then 2 over 3 and 3 over 4, once you get to the cat 4 level it doesnt matter the rest are equall (supposedly)

For APF jobs (GS, DOD ect...) you can search USAjobs.com and apply from anywhere in the world as long as you are a US citizen. Different jobs qualify for different beni's, some offer housing (usually not if a local hire though) Almost all offer Post allowance to help offset costs of living vs stateside. Hope this helps.

Depending on what you do, and what you're willing to do, the jobs are either growing hugely or standing still, IMO. I think what people are saying is that that there isn't a whole lot of variety of jobs you can get, but there are still lots. I haven't heard any news of base closures in Germany since '07. Living in Nuremberg, you're in a unique spot to where you have access to about 5 US military bases all within 100km (Ansbach, Hohenfels, Graf, Schweinfurt, Bamberg) each with AAFES that are all hiring.

What do you do? Are you an expert in your career field? I work for an IT firm. We just hired a few people at my job who have zero IT experience, fresh off the boat. It can happen. Also we have OR (ordinary residents) positions that are easy to get too. Open your possibilities up to other places besides AAFES. Make connections with people on those bases. Call the base operator and get numbers to companies on the base and call them telling them you'd like an interview.

People hoping to get some sort of job on a US military base should bear in mind the fact that there is a major drawdown of US forces here in Germany.Many bases have closed and more are slated for closure including Mannheim. You are looking at a shrinking job pool versus a growing applicant pool.

Yes, I heard our HQ (ITT) and 5th Signal Command will be leaving Mannheim for Wackernheim near Mainz.

Well im just mentioning AAFES because from what i have seen they have lot's of openings. But i would be open to look at other posibilities. I have seen on USAJobs that the person applying for the job is supposed to be living close to where he is applying for in this case the base. So if that is the case i would have to wait till im in Germany to apply. Thanks for all the recommendations.

Yes, I heard our HQ (ITT) and 5th Signal Command will be leaving Mannheim for Wackernheim near Mainz.

The Buzz is that Mannheim PX, Commissary ect will be gone by the end of this year. Last person to tell me this was the cashier at the PX yesterday. Coleman barracks is also supposed to move elsewhere.