Online shopping for British and American foods

31 posts in this topic

hey guys,

i've posted this in a couple replies, but thought would put it here so that the others can see too.

I found a great site a while ago, where you can order all sorts of foods from back home. they are based in germany, so you get your stuff in just a couple days, plus much cheaper than hertie and karstadt, not to mention much much bigger selection!

british-american-food.de

Related page: British and American foods

hi everyone

is there anyone out there looking for a great online shop that sells british food to expats everywhere

well may i tell you about a shop i use

they are called British Food Direct

the company are based in Bristol but ship food all over

the purchase price for a large 30kg pkt is just 12 euros 35

they ´ve sent me some leaflets to give out to brits i know here but it would be great if other people

could shop with them

they are a very friendly service and get items that you want

ive tried other shops but British food direct is the best

Topics merged by admin

Methinks most of these posts would be better suited to the "Adverts" threads ...

I just moved from America to Germany, and I REALLY APPRECIATE all these helpful and useful posts so THANKS!!

Try american-food-direkt.de they have lots of treats from home. Even found cabdy corn!

[adminmerge][/adminmerge]

btw the last time I used british food direct there were several items missing from my order when it was delivered but yet I was charged for the whole order. I tried to contact them several times by email and phone but never received a reply. I never receieved the missing goods. SO just beware.

I sent an order for Christmas last year to Britsh food direct, and never recieved a thing!!

They Don't answer emails, the phone or registerd letters. They offer Paypal and visa on the

website, but when it comes to paying your only option is a bank transfer, which connot be rebooked.

DO NOT ORDER ANYTHING FROM BRITISH FOOD DIRECT!!!

I ordered some food from british-american-food.de in Feb/March 2009 after visiting their store in Potsdam. The first time I ordered, they sent me an email saying that I had mistakenly sent in the order twice and to cancel my orders and re-submit. I did as instructed and put in a new order.

To this day, I never received anything from them. I tried contacting them and asking for a call back via the callback service on their website but never heard from them. I believe that they aren't the most reputable and would not recommend buying anything from them.

For those of you who have someone in the UK who doesn't mind doing a shop for you, we just got a 10Kg shipment for the princely sum of £16.79. You then are just paying normal supermarket prices for a normal supermarket range of goods. For £23.25 you get up to 30Kg.

You have to watch out with the 'volumetric weight' calculation (WxDxH in cm, divided by 4000), but in practice our parcel was charged on its actual weight. The great thing is that DHL picked the parcel up and two days later it was here. Be aware, though, that if you're not in you have to arrange redelivery (morning, afternoon, evening) as it's not dropped off at the Post Office.

Parcel2ship.co.uk

Edit: I knew someone would find a better price :lol:

I've a negative experience with american-food-direkt.de, unfortunately..

More then 3 weeks after online order and no goods, no reply on Emails, nothing... It's a pity.

I have to concur with flocken's review of American Food Direkt. I ordered 3 items online for Thanksgiving 4 weeks before Thanksgiving. 2 weeks later, I called and they said they had a lot of holiday orders but I should get my by the end of the week. The following week, I couldn't get anyone on the phone so I wrote an email which was replied with something like "We have a lot of orders at the moment but your order will be processed soon. We appreciate your business and please remember that we have all items in stock year round". I take that to mean that things for Thanksgiving should be ordered around Easter to guarantee timely delivery. I finally had to cancel my order on Wednesday, the day before Thanksgiving because it was pointless by then.

I don't know how they manage to stay in business with such long delivery times. I found the staff is nice and responsive (phone, email) but, unless you have 3 months to wait on your order, don't bother.

I've had good luck with foodfromhome.de, a former TT advertiser. 4 items, all in stock, and on my doorstep via DPD in 3 business days.

The title says 'stores based in Germany', but anybody had success with stores based in the UK? Some seem to have pretty good rates to Germany.

but anybody had success with stores based in the UK

These folks are in Bristol BCS and will deliver a 25-30KG box to your door in 4-5 working days for GBP11-95. Reason for the weight difference is that sometimes due to measurement restrictions perhaps only 25KG will fit in the box. They do however have a handy meter in your shopping cart, letting you see how full your box is at any time.

www.britishcornershop.co.uk