Raising children quadrilingually

164 posts in this topic

I would leave the Turkish for now then, and see if that is a magical freebie which comes after a couple of years in school doing German.

What you do with the Arabic is unlikely to have much influence over how the German and school goes. I know nothing about Arabic literacy but it is such a beautiful written language   when do kids usually start learning in Arabic - speaking countries?

Good point.  Turkish is on the timetable at my local first school (which is for DalsFS focussed) albeit only once a week.

I think experiences are mainly anecdotal and vary by exposure of setting etc.  In my family it is writing they are not exposed to that does not develop.  So they can write in the 4th ok to current level but barely in what might present as their "native" (different  characters) as they don't ever need to write it or live in it.  They can read and speak it and understand what they hear.

5 hours ago, kiplette said:

I would leave the Turkish for now then, and see if that is a magical freebie which comes after a couple of years in school doing German.

What you do with the Arabic is unlikely to have much influence over how the German and school goes. I know nothing about Arabic literacy but it is such a beautiful written language   when do kids usually start learning in Arabic - speaking countries?

Thank you very much for sharing your experiences as a teacher. I really appreciate.

My daughter was born in Turkey and lived there until she was 3.5 years old. She is now 5.5, and only immersed to German in the last 1.5 years in Kita. Arabic, she hears from my wife, and time to time from her grandparents (on a live call). As for reading&writing, my wife met with an Arabic school teacher, who immigrated to Germany in the recent years, and says can teach reading&writing in Arabic to our daughter. That was the origin of my question regarding, whether it will have a negative effect in the school life.

On 17.1.2019, 16:01:25, TurMech said:

Thank you very much for sharing your experiences as a teacher. I really appreciate.

My daughter was born in Turkey and lived there until she was 3.5 years old. She is now 5.5, and only immersed to German in the last 1.5 years in Kita. Arabic, she hears from my wife, and time to time from her grandparents (on a live call). As for reading&writing, my wife met with an Arabic school teacher, who immigrated to Germany in the recent years, and says can teach reading&writing in Arabic to our daughter. That was the origin of my question regarding, whether it will have a negative effect in the school life.

I don't think it will have a negative influence on her school life at all. Maybe the contrary, not soon but long term.