How to translate "1er-Skalierung"

12 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,

Here's the sentence in full:

Die Eingabe der Daten in den Layouts erfolgt in TEUR ohne Dezimalstellen. Ausnahme hiervon ist das Layout ‚Mitarbeiter’. Hier werden die Daten in 1er-Skalierung mit einer Dezimalstelle erfasst.

And here's a quick translation (needs polishing, I know):

Data entry in the layouts is carried out in TEUR without decimal positions. [The only] exception to this is the 'employee' layout. Here, the data is entered {insert help here} with one decimal position.

Any ideas?

TIA

Haven't come across this one before. The only thing I can think of is that while all the other data is being entered a units of 1000 € in the case of the "employee" layout the sum is to be entered in Euros with one decimal place, ie, 1234,5 €. Seems a bit weird, but I can't think of anything else off-hand.

I'm not sure how you would word it, but I do know what they mean. Data is normally shown in thousands of Euros (TEUR), so when "10" is shown it actually means €10,000, except in the employee layout where numbers are not scaled and include one decimal place, so "10.1" = "€10.1" presumably.

Perhaps something like "Data entry in layouts is in thousands of Euros without decimal places. The only exception is the "employee" layout where data is entered precisely with one decimal place" - More a translation of meaning than of words

Hi RMA,

Yes, that's the gist of it. This is a project planning tool where all the amounts are entered in units of 1.000 €, but in the "Employee" layout, the scale is smaller.

In other words, I get the idea, but I am trying to find an exact (snappy, if you will) translation that will make sense to the reader.

Don't think you're going to find a nice user-friendly "snappy" translation for that - it is something I hear alot of when people are yabbering on about databases and floating point stuff. Think a longer translation will be required Mr Memo.

I agree with YL6: 1er-Skalierung here probably means that the data is on actual scale. (Eg in Mathematics it is quite common to normalize data so that they can be compared to other data sets)

I had a quick look and came up with another german alternative "Dezimalstellen" so I would say it could mean 1 decimal place.

cb6dba,

Nope, "1 decimal place" is not the bit that needs to be translated. As YL6 mentioned, in the other layouts, the amounts are entered in "TEUR" (1.000 €), so if the value is 5, it means 5.000 €. However, in the "Employee" layout, the exact hourly cost of an employee needs to be entered and this is done in units of 1 + one decimal place.

Maybe "units of one" would do it. What do you guys think?

That was the phrase that also popped into my head. While it's not very elegant, it's probably just understandable enough, and I doubt if you'll find anything more compact.

@RMA

I agree that it is not very elegant, but I am fairly sure that this translation is what the customer is going to accept.

Thanks everyone.