Search the Community

Showing results for tags 'taxes'.

  • Search By Tags

    Type tags separated by commas.
  • Search By Author







Year of birth

Found 8 results

  1. Hi, My firm does not provide dedicated office space to its employees (only a limited number of flex desks, which are sometimes all full). I also have a freelance business, in addition to my full-time work. My home is very small and I share it with my partner, so I'm considering taking on a second small apartment for the purpose of using it as an office. Would it be possible to deduct the full cost of the rent and utilities for this second apartment?   Thanks, MH
  2. I am using a p2p lending platform for investment. The way it works (simplified) is that they crowd source loans for real-estate developers and you get back your capital plus interest after a pre-defined period of time. The platform itself is based in Estonia and they create bank accounts for their customers for deposits/whitdrawls of capital and interest. My understating is that I must declare the interest amount every year regardless if I re-invest it in the platform or transfer it to my German bank account. Which Anlage and sections of the tax return are required for this case (Interest generated abroad that is not from Funds, Stocks or Banks). I tried almost all the online tax tools and couldn't find a section for that as per my understanding.   Thanks, 
  3. So, surprised this hasn't been discussed yet, unless I missed it, but I got the following letter from Expat Tax. It says that you will get a letter in the post but I haven't seen anything yet. Well other than 4 copies of my current assesment along with several letters explaining about property tax reform, but to be honest it made no sense to me. For sure nothing that I have to fill out.    Has anyone else gotten a letter?    Dear Client,   If you own property in Germany, you are required to file a tax return for Property Tax purposes in 2022. This is OUTSIDE of a normal annual income tax return and must be submitted separately and much earlier.  Here are the main points, you need to know:   If you own property IN Germany, you need to report (foreign property is not relevant) It is not relevant whether you are resident in Germany or not You need to report the ownership of ALL properties in Germany (if you own your own home, a holiday home or if you own an investment property) All types of property owned by you need to be reported (residential, commercial, developed or undeveloped, farming land, etc.) The relevant date for this purpose is 1.1.2022 (Did you own a property in Germany on that date?) The purpose of this one-off reporting is a re-evaluation of land and buildings. In most cases, this will result in a rather small adjustment of Property Tax upwards OR downwards (this is indeed possible) Adjusted payments as a result of this submission, will only kick in as of the tax year 2025   The tax office is supposed to contact each property owner DIRECTLY, starting in April 2022. They will do this in paper format and will not use any existing Power of Attorney for this purpose (for technical reasons they can’t). Correspondence will go to the address of the property owner, not the address of the property itself (unless of course, this is identical). We have reason to believe, that such correspondence will be delayed in a number of cases, particularly if it goes to individuals outside of the country. This is the reason, why we are contacting you now. These tax submissions need to go in between July 1st and October 31st 2022 in order to avoid late filing penalties. It is an extremely tight deadline, considering that a total of 36 million properties need to be reported at a national level.       If you feel, you need assistance in this context, please do contact your personal consultant at EXPATTAX directly to discuss. We have put together a service package for this purpose, which we are of course happy to send out to you if you are interested.      Please note: In order to meet the deadline and avoid late filing penalties, we need the complete set of information from you by July 31st, 2022.  This may seem like a very long time, but please do try to address the matter as soon as you can. We will send you a checklist to show you, which details and documents are needed. They are somewhat different from what you are used to in the context of your normal yearly tax filing. So, getting everything organized can sometimes take a good bit of extra time.    
  4. I apologize if this specific question has been asked already, but I can't seem to find it:    2020 was my first full year living in Germany with income. My tax situation is quite complicated, as I have income from work within Germany, as well as some from work in the US, and some investment related income due to a roth rollover. I have reached out to a tax accountant in Germany in February who said they are working on preparing my German tax declaration, but when I have reached out now asking for an approximate timeline, I haven't heard anything back. I'm going to try calling again this week.    Anyway, my question: According to google, my deadline to file my US return is June 15 (2 mo. extension). First question: Is this "extension" automatic? How do they know I am abroad, or is it simply based on the information I provide when I file the return in that 2-month period?    Second question: I was originally planning to wait for my German declaration to be filed and then file US taxes later, hoping to use the credits to reduce or eliminate my US tax obligation. Based on how long it is taking the accountant, I suspect I may need to just move ahead with the US tax return. How does this work, so that I avoid double taxation? Should I inform the accountant I will pay my US taxes and then let her know how much I paid, so that it can be considered before the German declaration is filed?    Thanks in advance for any information. 
  5. Hi All,   I am currently a Beihilfeberechtigte Ehefrau that is planning to return to work. Rather than working in Germany, it is possible for me work remotely and make more money overseas while living here. My partner is a beamte, so we have no plans to move.   I am assuming that once I start working that I will no longer be eligible for Beihilfe.  What are my health insurance options at this point? I know can I switch to private insurance (expensive). Is it possible to purchase overseas health insurance or switch into the German public system? When I first came here, I first had an overseas health insurance to bridge me over until I was able to get into Beihilfe and private insurance.   Many thanks!
  6. I quit my employer and they didn't want me to take vacation days so they said they will pay it out to me. Quit Employer A in month 2 Joined Employer B in month 3 Employer A sent additional payslip in month 3 as if I continued working with them and paid me salary towards 'wage-hours' even though I did not work for them. This payment is equivalent to the vacation days left when I quit. The 'vacation' section of the payslip is empty and was always empty in all payslips. Therefore, in 'Month 3', I received payslips from both Employer A and Employer B. Problems: 1. I was automatically put into Tax Class 6 for having two employers at the same time even though I never actually worked for two employers at the same time. For the next 10 months, I was taxed according to Tax Class 6 from my new employer. Even if I get the tax class switched back to tax class 1 at my new employer, I am unsure about what to put in my tax return application so that I get back my overpaid taxes for the past 10 months. If I say I belong in Tax Class 1 in my tax return, isn't it technically not true because according to payslips sent to the tax office, I worked for both Employer A and Employer B in month 3 even though in reality I only worked for Employer B.  2. I have a weekly limit of 20 hours. In the first week of month 3, because Employer A paid me vacation money in 'wage-hours', I technically surpassed the 20 hour limit without actually working more than 20 hours. Furthermore, Employer A submitted wrong name to social security office. (i know i can get it corrected but it caused me a lot of mental distress) Is there a way to fix the problem with Tax Class? Is there a way to sue Employer A for causing so much trouble?
  7. Hi everyone,   Many online resources claim that if you're employed and your sole income is from your salary, then you don't have to file a tax return. On the other hand, I've heard that in this case the deadline is four years instead of one. I was wondering if this means that you CAN file  your tax returns for the previous four years or that you HAVE to.    I tried to google for the actual law, but couldn't find it. Does anyone know what the rule is? If you know where to find the applicable law,  it would be greatly appreciated.   Thanks a lot in advance!
  8. Hi Everyone,   I was wondering if you could help out with my current situation:   My girlfriend will file a text return this year as well. We are not married but we live together and share all the expanses 50/50. We have a bank account (under my name) where both of us add some money at the end of the month that we use for paying costs like Kita, house moving/renovation, cleaning etc.   When it comes down to file a tax return can we actually split those costs in our respective tax declarations? For all the items that can be expansed shall I put 50% of the total amount and she will do the same in her tax declaration?   I'm asking this because, if I have to provide proof, the payment has been done under my name (as I said we use one of my spare accounts for "family money").   Any advice on how to manage expanses for not married people when it comes down to tax declaration (if the above is not possible)?   Thanks a lot for any help you can provide!   All the best, Nicola