Search the Community

Showing results for tags 'stocks'.

  • Search By Tags

    Type tags separated by commas.
  • Search By Author







Year of birth

Found 2 results

  1. So it has been mentioned that we should have a thread dedicated to personal investments in stocks, funds. ETF's, etc.   What are you investing in? Are you interested in investing but don't know where to start? I think we have a lot of people here who are interested in this so I just wanted to get the ball rolling.   As for me, I have several investments in the U.S. It is all part of my retirement plan along with a rental property in Munich. I don't think that I can give a whole lot of advice but would like to hear from others.   Currently, I am buying shares of GE while it is going down. I have been invested in GE since 2002 and since it hasn't been doing well lately, I am trying to get my cost basis down a bit. I am confident that it will get back up to at least $50 in the not so distant future. I picked up another 100 shares yesterday at $16.93 and have another order to pick up another 100 at $15.20.   What are the rest of you doing now with the almost 9 year bull market. Taking some off the table? Still investing? 
  2. Hi all,   I wanted to ask a question directly related to what type of stocks we are allowed to hold while living in Germany.   I was told after 6 months of living here, which is now 8, that we are "German residents", which means that you are supposed to tell your bank/brokerage that you are living abroad which may or may not limit the type of Stocks, rather ETFS (SP500 for example), that we are able to buy. Not sure how accurate this information is so if someone could shed some light that would be appreciated.   I am new to Germany and was attempting to search through the forums for more information as well as online but came to a loss and couldn't find anything. I spoke to a tax consultant here in Germany who did not know, as well as someone from Charles Schwab who did not know exactly what to say. What I did find out from Charles Schwab, which may or may not be true, is that if we already have ETFS then we can keep them, but we are not allowed to by new ones due to an American law. Apparently we can keep Charles Schwab as a Brokerage if we let them know where we live.   My questions are:   1. Does anyone have experience with moving to Germany from the USA while holding a considerate amount of money in American stocks, as well as what did you have to do with your ETFS and what are the laws for what we are allowed to hold while living in Germany, do we need to report a new address in Germany? or are we allowed to keep the American address. Are there penalties for not reporting German address.    2. I read that the tax rate is a straight 25% here in Germany for all stocks. I found out from someone that we would pay the capital gain fees in the states (15%) and then pay the 10% difference here in Germany. Is this true and how do we pay this exactly?   3. The tax consultant (Steurberater) told me that inheritance is only charged when it is >400,000 euro from a parent and >200,000 form a grandparent, I believe this to be true but did not find any information on this.    4. Are we allowed to keep our American Banks open?   Any info is greatly appreciated as this is not easy to find and is very new to me, although I have searched for hours on end and spoken to many people.    Thanks!    Frank