• Content count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Posts posted by chrisv_7

  1. Hello All, 

    The above steps were based on answers from the German Consulate in NYC and the DRB. I do not have all the answers. You should reach out to the authorities and confirm questions you may have. A lot of people provide different answers so it is best to reach out to DRB. PLEASE take the time to read the post and the FAQs. 


    There is a lot of confusion regarding the refunds and that is the reason I wrote down detailed steps so that everyone can benefit. If you guys are successful then please do add your notes and experiences too (if you provide me a blurb then I can add it to the current post too).  There is a lot of misinformation out there (probably from brokers trying to charge fees for performing such services). You will find plenty of services guaranteeing you a refund even if you are working in the US. That's what made me look into this in more detail and do this myself. I agree with jerome10 that DRB will come back to you if they have additional requests. In my view, no service can guarantee you success if it is not as per the rules in Germany. If they are successful then it is only due to their understanding of the rules and requirements. 

    I'll try to answer some of the questions above:

    • Would they send a letter to an international address? Or only within Germany? -- They did send me a summary letter and confirmation to my US address after my refund was approved. They didn't have additional requests for me. 
    • Form A9060 "Lebens- und Staatsangehörigkeitsbescheinigung" / "Certificate of Life and Citizenship"  -- This was not requested by DRB in my case. You can send it if you like. 
    • do you think it's a good idea to use one of those agencies?  -- I know people who have used it so it is up to your preferences. I believe the refund goes to your account first and then the agency charges you a fee similar to the tax guys in Germany. These services are typical in Germany so it should be fine but it is your choice.
    • Did anyone send a copy of their US Social Security card, or a Social Security statement or anything like this? -- No, DRB did not request it. 
    • "Carbon Copies from SS Record Booklet..." -- This has been answered, please read the post. 
    • what is the "INSURANCE CARDS NUMBER"?  -- It is the Versicherungs-Nr. You should have received a card when you first came to Germany. 
    •  I thought that was not possible due to bilateral social welfare recognition agreements -- Please stop asking if it is possible for the US as I did receive my refund. 
    • Has a German insurance record already been issued? Is the record complete and correct? -- I marked it as "NO", please confirm with DRB for your situation. 

    I looked at my form and am not sure if the wording has been updated since I applied. So wanted to clarify two questions,

    6.1 Have you paid any social security contributions in a Member State of the EU, the EEC, in Switzerland or completed state insurance periods outside Germany? -- I marked it as "NO", please confirm with DRB for your situation. I had written to DRB to clarify this point and I answered based on their response. 

    6.4 Do you currently pay voluntary contributions to a state pension insurance fund under the law of another Member State of the EU / EEA or Switzerland? -- I marked it as "NO", please confirm with DRB for your situation. 



  2. Hi,

    I don't recall the rationale but below were my responses.


    Has a German insurance record already been issued? Is the record complete and correct?

    -- No


    Have you paid any social security contributions in a Member State of the EU, the EEC, in Switzerland or in an agreement state or completed state insurance periods outside Germany?

    -- No, since I didn't have any contributions within any EU country. 


    You should email  DRB to confirm. I had asked them this questions but can't find the response email. 




    2 hours ago, jontytyt said:

    This thread is exactly what I was looking for, and it is quite recent too. But I still have a few questions situation is that I worked in Germany from 2010-2013. I'm a US citizen. 


    On the V0901 form, it says: 

    Has a German insurance record already been issued? Is the record complete and correct?

    What does this mean?


    Have you paid any social security contributions in a Member State of the EU, the EEC, in Switzerland or in an agreement state or completed state insurance periods outside Germany? I am also asked for the dates.

    Well, I have been paying into the US social security system all my working life except when I lived in Germany. So what should I answer here? I know someone asked this, but I didn't quite understand the answer. 





  3. On ‎10‎/‎20‎/‎2017‎ ‎4‎:‎21‎:‎45‎, engelchen said:


    A little less than 10% (you only receive your contributions, your employer's contributions are NOT refunded).

    10% is about right. To get the exact figure look at your annual Lohnsteuerbescheinigung, I believe row 22 shows your contributions. Add up all the amounts in row 22 for all the Lohnsteuerbescheinigung and you should come to a very close estimate of your refund.


    - Chris


  4. 7 hours ago, invisiman88 said:



    I am filling out the Form V0901 currently and am unsure how to fill sections 6.1 and 6.3. I am American and worked in Germany for a year (2013 to 2014) and haven't been back since. I'm back in the USA and consequently am required to pay into Social Security with every paycheck. For 6.1, the US is listed as an agreement state. Does that mean I have to provide dates for my first Social Security contribution, i.e. my first ever paycheck? And does Social Security mean an automatic "yes" to question 6.3?


    Any help you can provide is much appreciated. It's the last bit I have to fill in before sending out the form.and copies of my pay stubs. So far the internet has not been of much help.




    6.1) "Have you paid any social security contributions in a Member State of the EU, the EEC, in Switzerland or in an agreement state or completed state insurance periods outside Germany?"


    6.3) "Are you currently liable to pay contributions to a state pension insurance scheme outside Germany?"

    Hello, I put an estimate of my US contributions to social security for the start date and end date until I moved to Germany but did not send any supporting documentation. You should email DRB to confirm in any case. All the best!


    - Chris


  5. Thread to help people understand how pension refund can work after leaving Germany.


    Official website for Pensions:

    Deutsche Rentenversicherung Bund (DRB)


    Pension Refund Requirement:

    - US and various other non-EU citizens can claim back their German state pension contributions if they contribute in Germany for less than 5 years (60 monthly contributions).

    - The claim can only be made 2 years after leaving Europe (EU/EEA/CH).


    DRB Email:

    (All queries were sent to this email address. They will respond to emails in English too.)


    Forms Required:

    Please contact DRB and the German consulate in your country of residence to confirm the forms required.

    1.  Form V0901 (Main claim for refund of pension contributions)

    2.  Form A1312-00 (Form in case refund is to be sent to a bank in USA or Canada)


    - If you have a German bank account then provide the IBAN number in Form V0901 (I requested a refund to my ComDirect Bank Account)

    - For form V0901 - the Kennzeichen / Code does not need to be filled out

    - I did not need Form A9060 "Lebens- und Staatsangehörigkeitsbescheinigung" / "Certificate of Life and Citizenship"


    Confirmation of Personal Information in Forms at German Consulate:

    - Make appointment in the Germany Consulate within your country of residence

    - Take Passport and supporting documents (driver's license, utility bill or bank statement)

    - There is no charge for confirmation of personal information for pension purposes

    - German Consulate in USA website link for information and appointment:

    - Make appointment at the German Consulate for the purpose of "Signature Certifications / Authentications"  


    Documents to send DRB:

    1.  Passport copy

    2.  Carbon copies from Social Security Record Booklet or relevant electronic vouchers from employer ( I sent my "Meldebescheinigung zur Sozialversicherung")

    3.  Insurance cards number / copy of insurance card

    4.  Check if any other doc can be sent (put tick mark in application) (e.g. Anmeldung / Abmeldung, Lohnsteuerbescheinigung, LohnKonto from firm)  

    5.  Application Form (V0901)


    Address of DRB in Germany to send Forms:

    Deutsche Rentenversicherung Bund

    Ruhrstr. 2

    10709 Berlin




    - DRB can take 6-8 weeks to respond and provide refund (my refund was processed in 4 weeks after DRB received my application)


    My Scenario:

    Citizenship: India

    Country of Residence: USA (after leaving Germany)

    Application for pension refund: After about 30 months of leaving Germany

    Refund Received: About 4 weeks after application in my German bank account

    Forms Sent: V0901

    Year Sent: 2017



  6. My experience porting an O2 mobile number (pre-paid) to Fonic/Lidl Mobile


    1. Download a Waiver from (Verzichtserklärung) from O2s website or call their customer support and ask them to email the form. Usually the new service provider has some sort of service on their website that will take all your information and then create a Waiver form that you have to submit to your old provider.

    2. Fill out the form carefully and either mail the form or fax it (Fax O2: 089954579006). The form has to be signed and dated before it is sent out.

    3. Usually you will receive an SMS on your old handy saying that the form has been received else give it a week before the next step. It should also inform you about the cost for porting the number (O2 charged 25€).

    4. Make sure your old handy (from which the number is being ported) has the amount required for porting the number. Recharge if required.

    5. Initiate the Rufnummernmitnehme process by requesting your new provider to port your handy number from the old provider. Fonic has an online application that takes all your details and then starts the process to port the number.

    6. If there are any issues then you will get an email from the new provider explaining the reason why they could not complete the porting process.

    7. Once the application is processed your old provider should deduct the cost for porting the number and this should be reflected in your account balance of your old number.

    8. The number porting should now go through any day now..:)


  7. Summarizing my experience of exchanging my US driver's license in Munich


    1. Only certain states in the US have an agreement with Germany to allow for an exchange of the US to DE drivers license without taking a drivers test in Germany. (MA has an agreement)

    2. If the drivers license is less than 2 years old then you would be required to submit a Drivers Record (Unattested is fine) from the DMV in the US. For MA you can order the Drivers Record from their website.

    3. Depending on the agreement between the state and Germany, the US drivers license might be returned to the issuing state once a German drivers license has been issued.

    4. If your US drivers has been issued for less than 2 years then you are still eligible for a German drivers license but you would be subject to a 2 year probation period minus the period from when your US license was issued. If you are involved in an accident then you would need to undergo the drivers tests in Germany.

    5. The US drivers license and Driver Record have to be translated in German before submitting the application for exchanging the drivers license.

    6. Fill out the application from for transferring the foreign license to the German license.

    7. Go to the Kreisverwaltungsreferat, Fahrerlaubnisbehörde (License Authority) at Eichstätter Str. 2. The office opens at 7am so be there at least half an early.

    8. Please take your application form, license translation, biometric photograph (x1) and passport with you. The application cost is €35.

    9. Just sign the application that the official gives you and you will receive a letter in 4-6 weeks informing you that your license is ready. They will give you a piece of paper


    Hope this makes your life a little easier! :)