• Content count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

18 Good

About exptkyle

Profile Information

  • Location Prenzlauer Berg, Berlin
  • Nationality American
  • Hometown Seattle, Washington, USA
  • Gender Male
  1. Hello TTers,   I've searched the forum for this topic and could not find it. It may exist somewhere on TT, but if it does it's buried somewhere.   I previously lived in Berlin (left in January 2010) as a freelance English teacher. I paid taxes in Berlin as a freelancer and I have a tax number (Steuernummer) from the Finanzamt in Berlin.   I returned to the U.S. in January 2010 for a year before I returned to Germany. I am now in Leipzig and have an Arbeitsvertrag with a German company. I just submitted my pile of paperwork to the Aüslanderbehörde and should hear back about my new residence permit in the next 2-3 weeks, however I'm confused about the Steuernummer.   I know that I have to get a Lohnsteuerkarte after I receive the residence permit, but do I need to also go to the Finanzamt and get a new tax ID number or will my old one still work? If I do need a new one, what happens to my old Steuernummer?   Any help on this subject would be greatly appreciated.   Thanks! Kyle