• Content count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

6 Neutral

About Dai

Contact Methods

  • Website http://www.dynamic-sct.com

Profile Information

  • Location Pforzheim
  • Nationality Welsh
  • Gender Male
  • Year of birth 1980
  1. Fair enough, I stand corrected. The point about depreciation stands though - at €1400 you have to write it off over a couple of years.    I still think it’s a piss take from the employer though. Yes there’s the werbepauschal so that you can buy a smart t-shirt to go to work, but if you’re a chef I wouldn’t expect you to bring your own pots and pans to the kitchen. 
  2. I can’t see how you can claim for any work equipment, if it’s a work requirement it should be paid for by the uni. You’re not self employed and don’t own the uni so I can’t see how it’s a business expense.  A factory owner couldn’t tell an employee that we’re moving to home office and the employee has to buy a €2000000 3D printer to continue making stuff at home.  Can’t you just go into the office and pick up your computer from there? 
  3. If you don’t have their address how do you prove that they’re international customers?    Depending on how you provide the tuition this can be very important as if they download a pre-recorded lesson then VAT is due where they live, not where you are. 
  4. Desktop websites and Google

    True, but any decently designed website from the last 5? 10? years will be responsive to screen size, so it’s not a big deal for a lot of people. Of course there are some bad websites out there, hopefully this will help to push them towards updating.   
  5. I’m also not clear as you say you’re a student then say you have an employer provided computer, so I don’t know what you can claim. As an employee nothing would be my guess, if it’s required to do the job the employer should provide it.    If you can claim for the computer as a student then I’d assume it’s treated as a business expense and depreciates over time. Again this is just an assumption. There’s a table which states the expected lifetime of the purchase and so how much the value depreciates per year. In the case of a laptop it’s 3 years, so 33.3%,  €467 per year.    https://www.bundesfinanzministerium.de/Web/DE/Themen/Steuern/Steuerverwaltungu-Steuerrecht/Betriebspruefung/AfA_Tabellen/afa_tabellen.html
  6. Reverse Charge Supply VAT and Brexit

    The different timings between Brexit and the expansion of the EU OSS means that once you think you’ve got your head around everything it’s going to change all over again. It’ll be a fun year for accountants. 
  7. It’s not that you need a VAT number, your income from a full time contract doesn’t apply to that, but you should be registering as a business/sole trader and using that tax number. Speak to an accountant to get yourself set up, the process of registering at the Rathaus and filing in the Finanzamt forms is easy enough, but if your new to the system and don’t understand the differences between self-employed, freelance, business etc. then get professional help.    Tax rate - it depends on how you’re set up and how much you earn, it’s complicated. 
  8. Every year - can’t submit the tax files to the Finanzamt until March and in April I get a letter from the Krankenkasse saying they need to see my Steuerbescheid right now or they’re going to quadruple my monthly fee.