• Content count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

1,752 Awesome

1 Follower

About techgirl

  • Birthday July 11

Profile Information

  • Location Flensburg
  • Nationality USA
  • Hometown Kentucky
  • Gender Female
  • Year of birth 1968
  1. Resistance to Insurance Culture in Germany

    To put a positive spin on the "insurance culture" in Germany: Since it's assumed that everyone has these insurances, accidents can be handled easily: rather than (a) arguing about who is at fault, how much the damage is worth, etc, or (b) harboring bad feelings over the other party NOT offering to pay for something, you simply turn the matter over to your respective insurance companies, who figure the whole thing out. Seems a small price to pay for this peace of mind.
  2. Looking for cleaning help in SH

    Hi all, I'm looking for someone to come to my house 1x/week for cleaning (kitchen/bath, dust and vacuum, windows, etc.). I live about halfway between Flensburg and Schleswig, so this person will need their own car.    If you are interested, or you can put me into contact with someone who is, PM me for details.   Thanks! Techgirl
  3. Etiquette for parcels left with neighbours

    I had a neighbor bring me a package on Monday that had been left with him. I had no sooner pulled my car in the driveway and gotten out of the car than he came round the corner of the house to give me this big box GLS had left with him -- I hadn't even had time to see that I had a card left in my mailbox! I was a bit confused at first, because I wasn't expecting the package on that day, and he wasn't a delivery guy, and I hadn't met this particular neighbor before. But he seemed quite eager to get rid of the package.   The kicker? My husband had been home all day (he has Mondays off) and had never heard the doorbell ring ALL DAY...
  4. There are two different "residence" tests -- the "bona fide residence" and the "physical presence" tests. If you can prove you are "domiciled" in Germany, the 6 weeks vacation will not have an impact.
  5. Staying in Germany after visa expiration

    You have three options: Get yourself post-haste to the AB, take a number, and wait, as lotsofballoons suggested. Explain to them your situation. You should be able to at least get a "Fiktionsbescheinigung" that will allow you to stay until your April appointment. (ETA: get there early. Like, REALLY early. An hour or more before they open is common.) Leave the country on February 7 and deal with trying to return when (if) you are accepted to the Uni. Do nothing. You might not get caught out, but without the FB, you run the risk of being deported and not allowed back in the country for up to 10 years.
  6. arbeitslosengeld for non-EU workers

    As far as the first question goes, yes, you can -- that's what I did. It was in my old passport, so I can't quote the exact wording, but I went from "befristet" and "Beschäftigung nur bei xxx Arbeitgeber" to "befristet" und "Beschäftigung gestattet" -- it was several years later that I received the Niederlassungserlaubnis. I did have an active but time-limited work contract when I made this first change, and a permanent work contract (past the Probezeit) when I got the NE.   For the second question, I can't answer definitively, but I would also assume not. The idea is that you have secure income, which a "job-seeker" presumably does not.
  7. arbeitslosengeld for non-EU workers

    If you've been working here long enough, then yes, you are entitled to unemployment if you lose your job. I (also an American) received 1.5 months of unemployment between contracts -- one ended August 15 and the next began October 1. This also did not affect my eventual permanent residency permit (which I've now held for a couple years).   If you're worried about the stability of your company, you can ask for a work permit that's not tied to your employer after (if I remember correctly) 2 years. It's still time restricted, but you're free to switch employers. This is the type I had when I applied for unemployment, and I requested it as soon as I was eligible so that I didn't have to worry about my contract ending and not finding another job in time. 
  8.   You've answered your own question. No one here will have better information than the ABH (visa office).    Do you have this in writing? If you do, be sure to keep that with you (with all other paperwork) when you re-enter. If not, call back and request it in writing.
  9. Sounds like the ABH has interpreted the law in a way favorable to your case. I can see how this would work. If the job pays over 52,000, then it doesn't matter that it's in a shortage occupation, and the first rule applies. The "German degree" requirement only applies in shortage occupations at the lower salary level.   Good luck in your new job!
  10.   By German logic, these requirements are laid out quite clearly. In the first case, one holds a German degree; in the second case, a non-German one. The law distinguishes between these two circumstances.   According to the wording in the German version:   Eine Zustimmung der Bundesagentur für Arbeit ist hingegen erforderlich bei Beschäftigung in einem Mangelberuf und Besitz eines ausländischen Hochschulabschlusses.   approval is required (always is implied as there's nothing to contradict this) with a foreign degree.   Keep in mind that the German versions of rules and regulations are the binding ones.