• Content count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

0 Neutral

About mandalay

  • Rank

Profile Information

  • Location Munich
  • Nationality New Zealand
  1. Hi everyone. I was gifted (for free) a product by a brand, along with a discount code to share with my followers on social media. The deal is, I get a certain amount of money paid to me if X number of people buy through my discount code.   I'm currently a freelancer, and what I want to know is: Do I need to declare this gifted product on my taxes? If yes, how do I declare this gifted product on my taxes? Is there a specific form to fill out? What if I don't know the value of the product? If I receive any commission from the company, does that mean I am now no longer a freelancer, but self-employed and must do a 'Gewerbeanmeldung' and charge VAT? The company is also not in Germany, but in Switzerland. If I am being paid from overseas, does that also mean something tax-wise?   Any help and advice would be much appreciated. Thank you!
  2. Ok, thank you so much for clarifying!
  3. Tax on non-cash gifts and prizes

    Hi everyone. I won a non-cash gift through a competition on social media. Do I have to declare the value of this product in my taxes? If yes, is there a specific form I'm supposed to fill out? And what if I don't know the exact value?   Also, where is the line drawn between whether or not it counts as a personal competition win vs. something for my freelance work? I'm a freelancer, and you could argue that the competition was something I entered as an individual, but you could also argue that it was under by freelance work. The line between both is a bit blurry.   Thanks in advance for any help and advice!
  4. Thank you for your reply. Just to clarify, it's not allowed in this situation to amortize the training? Because I actually want to.
  5. Hi everyone. I am a freelancer in Munich, and I'm in the process of filling out my first tax return here. Does anyone know if you can amortize a training or certification? I am a yoga teacher and did my training last year in order to be able to teach. I only started working and earning an income this year.    And if I can amortize the training, how do I declare it on the EUR form?   Thank you very much for any help or advice!