Nesdie

Members
  • Content count

    7
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Posts posted by Nesdie


  1. On 7.2.2019 klo, Thai said:

     

    I'm just curious, where did you get your previous information from?

    BTW, train in Germany is pretty expensive, I think a daily commute from Karlsruhe to Pforzheim is not a great idea, especially since the whole conversation started about the cost of living ...

     

    At your place, I'd rather live in Pforzheim and might avoid those areas where around 40% voted for AfD ... just my personal preference ... I don't want to be surrounded by racists ... 

     

    I think initially from some basic google-searches about Pforzheim and then when I asked about it in an (internet) forum of expats (from my home country) in Karlsruhe they also suspected/suggested that Pforzheim is not that "thriving". 

    Large population of right wing extremists is certainly unappealing... However we'll definately visit Pforzheim next month and see how it feels ☺️

    On 6.2.2019 klo, swimmer said:

    Unemployment in Pforzheim area is about 4% and 6% in the city.   The first is pretty close to natural rate of full employment :blink:.    Are you sure someone is not telling you tall tales, or you are thinking of the right place?   At the very least, you might want to read some up to date information.    My city centre district of a town further north has higher unemployment than that and it is a brilliant place to live, there would be zero reason for me to instead live in my nearby thriving big foreigner-friendly city (Frankfurt).   If it was an unemployment blackspot, you would also probably not be getting a good job there.   As I said, it is foreigners who drive our growth.   To me, there is nothing to frighten the horses at all there - typical south German setting by the sounds of it.

     

    ttps://www.pz-news.de/wirtschaft_artikel,-Arbeitslosigkeit-in-Pforzheim-und-der-Region-geht-zurueck-Goldstadt-weiter-Schlusslicht-_arid,1188963.html

     

    As to the point on rental prices,  German city centres often have very diverse housing.   You get comfortable fully serviced residential blocks next to that which is less comfortable (older, not maintained, near busy roads, no outdoor space).  My advice is always to look at micro-location carefully.   Look past the generic list of offers to the detail of the property and its locale.  Compative rental prices are of couse and indicator of that.

     

    Very useful information, thank you swimmer!

    On 6.2.2019 klo, Thai said:

    According to this article, Pforzheim is the second safest city in Baden-Wuerttemberg:

    https://www.pz-news.de/pforzheim_artikel,-Interview-zur-Kriminalstatistik-Pforzheim-weiterhin-zweitsicherste-Stadt-im-Land-_arid,1219036.html

     

    Maybe someone right-wing who is afraid of foreigners told you those negative stories about Pforzheim ...

     

    It might not be a particularly exciting place, but not particularly scary either. 

    On 6.2.2019 klo, jeba said:

    Migration of foreigners because they found work isn´t necessarily a reason to avoid an area. I´d be more worried about those who are out of the labour market. I used to live near Karlstadt a. M., a small town with a lot of Turks since there were jobs for them. However, they didn´t cause problems. They might have changed the fabric of the town quite a bit it still was a nice little town with low crime and I felt perfectly safe there.

    Good point and just to be clear we are not "avoiding" Pforzheim for its high rate of immigrants (we're foreigners and non-English - speakers ourselves there!) but for it's bad reputation: high unemployment resulting to social problems and unsafety BUT this is just what I have read / heard and we're totally ready change our minds on this if Pforzheim really isn't that problematic. ☺️

    0

  2. 1 hour ago, swimmer said:

    Unemployment in Pforzheim area is about 4% and 6% in the city.   The first is pretty close to natural rate of full employment :blink:.    Are you sure someone is not telling you tall tales, or you are thinking of the right place?   At the very least, you might want to read some up to date information.    My city centre district of a town further north has higher unemployment than that and it is a brilliant place to live, there would be zero reason for me to instead live in my nearby thriving big foreigner-friendly city (Frankfurt).   If it was an unemployment blackspot, you would also probably not be getting a good job there.   As I said, it is foreigners who drive our growth.   To me, there is nothing to frighten the horses at all there - typical south German setting by the sounds of it.

     

    ttps://www.pz-news.de/wirtschaft_artikel,-Arbeitslosigkeit-in-Pforzheim-und-der-Region-geht-zurueck-Goldstadt-weiter-Schlusslicht-_arid,1188963.html

     

    As to the point on rental prices,  German city centres often have very diverse housing.   You get comfortable fully serviced residential blocks next to that which is less comfortable (older, not maintained, near busy roads, no outdoor space).  My advice is always to look at micro-location carefully.   Look past the generic list of offers to the detail of the property and its locale.  Compative rental prices are of couse and indicator of that.

     

    Very useful information, thank you swimmer!

    1 hour ago, Thai said:

    According to this article, Pforzheim is the second safest city in Baden-Wuerttemberg:

    https://www.pz-news.de/pforzheim_artikel,-Interview-zur-Kriminalstatistik-Pforzheim-weiterhin-zweitsicherste-Stadt-im-Land-_arid,1219036.html

     

    Maybe someone right-wing who is afraid of foreigners told you those negative stories about Pforzheim ...

     

    It might not be a particularly exciting place, but not particularly scary either. 

    2 hours ago, jeba said:

    Migration of foreigners because they found work isn´t necessarily a reason to avoid an area. I´d be more worried about those who are out of the labour market. I used to live near Karlstadt a. M., a small town with a lot of Turks since there were jobs for them. However, they didn´t cause problems. They might have changed the fabric of the town quite a bit it still was a nice little town with low crime and I felt perfectly safe there.

    Good point and just to be clear we are not "avoiding" Pforzheim for its high rate of immigrants (we're foreigners and non-English - speakers ourselves there!) but for it's bad reputation: high unemployment resulting to social problems and unsafety BUT this is just what I have read / heard and we're totally ready change our minds on this if Pforzheim really isn't that problematic. ☺️

    0

  3. 1 minute ago, jeba said:

    Migration of foreigners because they found work isn´t necessarily a reason to avoid an area. I´d be more worried about those who are out of the labour market. I used to live near Karlstadt a. M., a small town with a lot of Turks since there were jobs for them. However, they didn´t cause problems. They might have changed the fabric of the town quite a bit it still was a nice little town with low crime and I felt perfectly safe there.

    Good point and just to be clear we are not "avoiding" Pforzheim for its high rate of immigrants (we're foreigners and non-English - speakers ourselves there!) but for it's bad reputation: high unemployment resulting to social problems and unsafety BUT this is just what I have read / heard and we're totally ready change our minds on this if Pforzheim really isn't that problematic. ☺️

    0

  4. 5 hours ago, Thai said:

    A lot of families in Germany live on just one salary. But if your work requires commuting by train (so it's in another town?) and your husband plans to stay at home, why don't you live closer to your workplace? The areas around train stations are not always the most expensive ones, in many cases it is rather in area which is just not so nice to live. 

    That's a very good question! Reason: my job is in Pforzheim and I'm a bit worried about it, especially the safety and the schools in there, the reputation of Pforzheim is quite bad, do you know is it really so unsafe...? 

    Smaller towns near Pforzheim seem idyllic but we're a bit worried about how easy it is for foreigners in a small town. 

    0

  5. First of all; I apologize for any mistakes I make in language, I'm not a native English -speaker.

    My question may sound weird but we are contemplating moving to Karlsruhe so that only I would initially work and my husband would stay home to learn more German and to help the kids adjust etc. We come from Scandinavia and both of us work outside of home at the moment. Rents in Karslruhe seen relatively high. My work would require commuting by train - thus it makes most sense to rent a flat quite near the train station, obviously not the cheapest area. Is it madness to think that I could support alone for the whole family (for at least a few months - year, before my husband would hopefully also find a job)? With Kindergarten fees also, because kids need to learn German, my eldest probably would go to school at age 6? My salary would not be quite bad, approximately 5800€/month before taxes and places we have been looking for have been around 1000 - 1200€/month WARMMiete. The taxation is so different (I know that size of family has an impact on your tax rate) that I have no idea what to expect and also the costs of living are really difficult to calculate in advance...

    Thank you for your responses!

    0