• Content count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

2 Neutral

About stephfremont

  • Rank

Profile Information

  • Location Bremen
  • Nationality USA
  1. Owing self-employment tax to the U.S.

    For future reference, after another phone call, I have discovered the following:   The Deutsche Rentenversicherung Nord (in Hamburg) has nothing to do with sending this form (D/USA 101-A).  If they receive these requests, they send them to Berlin:   Deutsche Rentenversicherung Bund Postfach 10704 Berlin   So she told us to resend the letter directly to Berlin ourselves just in case.  And she said the office in Berlin doesn't provide much information over the phone, even to them, so don't bother calling.  It seems that last time when I thought we had spoken to the Hamburg office, it was a general Deutsche Rentenversicherung info number.  This time we actually spoke to the Hamburg office.
  2. salary range: 12 could (but might not) refer to government pay grades, grade 12 starts from $62k:   which sounds about right for that job.
  3. Owing self-employment tax to the U.S.

    ok, good to know, thank you!  I think I will just file with this statement (I made it up, so no idea if it's good):   and send the certificate as an amendment later. 
  4. Self-Employed Health Insurance Deduction

    I have continued with the filing in the meantime, and may have found that claiming this deduction wouldn't make a difference anyway.   In Schedule 1, I would use this as an adjustment to my income, and in Form 2555, I would have to lower my excluded income by the amount of the adjustment.  It looks like I can not bother and have the same result.    If I were taking the tax credit route (rather than Form 2555), maybe the situation would be different, but for now, this is how I am filing.
  5. Owing self-employment tax to the U.S.

    This thread is super helpful, thank you everyone!   I called a local office (small town Niedersachsen) and they had no clue, but the Hamburg office seemed to know what I was talking about.  I wrote to them 4 weeks back and haven't heard anything.  So I'm considering writing the the SSA to request a certificate, just to cover my bases as the 15 Oct deadline is approaching.   I found this information that suggested the SSA would provide a document I can use if I cannot obtain one from a foreign government.  Has anyone done this successfully?  Here is the info: If the foreign country will not issue the certificate, you should request a statement that your income is not covered by the U.S. social security system.  Request it from the U.S. Social Security Administration.  Attach a photocopy of either statement to your Form 1040 each year you are exempt from U.S. self-employment tax.
  6. Self-Employed Health Insurance Deduction

    I'm filing my US taxes, with self-employed income.  I don't have any employees, just a sole trader/freelancer.  I'm a resident in Germany and am paying TK (public insurer) for my health insurance.    The instructions for Schedule 1 Line 29 "Self-employed health insurance deduction" said to figure this out, if I'm filing 2555 (I am), I should use the worksheet in p 535.  For 2018 this is p28 "Worksheet 6-A Self-Employed Deduction worksheet".    My question is - does this actually apply to me?  The first line states "Enter the total amount paid in 2018 for health insurance coverage established under your business..."  Do my contributions really count as coverage established under my business?  If so, would the Pflegeversicherung be what I claim on Line 2?   Thanks, and sorry if this has been discussed.  Normally I find everything I need by searching!  But in this case I just found information about claiming health insurance contributions against German taxes, rather than US, which is what I need here.