• Content count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

0 Neutral

About Newmunchnerin

  • Rank

Profile Information

  • Location Bavaria
  • Nationality British
  1. Hello Toytown Germany,   Do you have a recommendation for a good Brexit immigration lawyer and English-speaking insurance agent who can advise about health insurance for UK self-employed in Germany? I have spent more than 40-hours researching this topic on the internet, only to find contradictory information. And today I discovered that my health insurance may be legally insufficient for post-brexit residency requirements.   I would appreciate advice on the following:  1. As self-employed (gewerblich), is it required to have long-term care insurance (pflegeversicherung) in addition to health insurance?  2. Regarding health insurance, to maintain new residency requirements as per the Withdrawal Agreement, must I have full private or statutory health insurance, or can I choose expat insurance from a German provider like Hanse Merkur? I understand that 2021 onwards, UK nationals must be 'living in Germany' to be protected under Withdrawal Agreement law, which is defined as having 'Wohnsitz' or habitual residence in Germany and not being abroad for more than 6-months each year. While I intend to be tax resident in Germany going forward, I will also be spending a lot of time back in UK and overseas. Therefore expat insurance is better for my lifestyle, however since by definition it is a travel insurance product for foreign nationals on temporary stay in Germany, I am concerned that it may be legally insufficient to meet residency requirements.  3. Would long stays of more than 6-months at a hotel or a friends' place be compliant with residency requirements? Since I will be spending few months each year out of Germany, I would like to avoid paying for a full-year lease if possible. German law on this point states that owning or leasing a property is not the main criteria to establish residence and that one could be staying at a friend's place, but my friends' point out that I would need to re-register and de-register each time I leave and enter Germany or else they could be fined. Is this how its done? And how would it work with booking long stays at a hotel or serviced apartment?   Thank you so much for your insights.    Best wishes  Newmunchnerin