• Content count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

4,713 Awesome

About nina_glyndwr

Contact Methods

  • Website http://

Profile Information

  • Location Düsseldorf
  • Nationality Welsh
  • Hometown Conwy/Llandudno area
  • Gender Female

Recent Profile Visitors

12,664 profile views
  1. Bürgerbüro in the US? What's it called?

    I can't remember what term we settled on (I've had a lot of translations since then), but we used an English-language term to explain what the office was all about and then the German word Bürgerbüro after that as that would be the word they'd have to look out for on signs in the building.
  2. Is German TV awful?

    If you want access to UK TV:   I pay about 18 euros (or maybe pounds) a year for bronze membership.   You can also pay EUR 40 a year for the Beebs app which will allow you to see the programmes stored on the BBC iPlayer as well as the ITV Hub and the archives of another TV channel or two in the UK.   Both options are better than German TV. Even YouTube is better. I've been binge-watching Season 3 of Poirot and have amazingly found a few episodes I've not seen before.
  3. Online library for English books   I always like to read old books. I always say that the 19th century is the best century for books. Anyway, since Project Gutenberg is currently blocked in Germany, I've found another source in the UK. See the link above. I download them to my Kindle.   Oh, and as they are all out of copyright, they're free.    Even Amazon has free out-of-copyright books.
  4. Bürgerbüro in the US? What's it called?

    Don't worry, Engelchen. It's not just a word out of context. The text that follows will reveal all.   It's interesting, though, that when I first searched the forum for the text, all I saw was the German word, not even an attempt to coin a name for it in English. 
  5. Bürgerbüro in the US? What's it called?

    Okey dokey! We have a winner. My colleague likes this one best, too.   Phew. Danke schön.
  6. Bürgerbüro in the US? What's it called?

    What would you all say to Citizens' Services Office?   Or how about Municipal Services Office?
  7. Bürgerbüro in the US? What's it called?

    Well, I think the word 'office' makes it sound more 'official'. I will use the German term, too, though.
  8. Bürgerbüro in the US? What's it called?

    We are going for Community Office.    Thanks for your contributions. I love places like this forum - you can get answers from all over the world. A wonderful resource.
  9. Bürgerbüro in the US? What's it called?

    Thanks for the suggestions, Alex and BethAnn. I'll forward them.
  10. Bürgerbüro in the US? What's it called?

    Yes, the  Bürgerbüro is found in the city hall and is the place to go when you need an I.D. card, you need to register yourself in the town (not necessary in the UK or US, I know), get a passport and other stuff.    As one website puts it:  The citizens' office (Bürgeramt) handles many aspects of German bureaucracy. This is where you register your address, exchange a foreign driving licence, apply for an International Driving Permit and more.
  11. Hello! I have to translate the word  Bürgerbüro and we need the American term for this.   My colleague has suggested "Customer Service Center" - because this is what they call it in the UK. Cologne has changed the name of the Bürgerbüro to Kundenzentrum.   What would an American know it as?   Thanks.
  12. Cities near forest or mountains

    I just saw the 'forests' part of the original request. I'd overlooked the 'mountains' bit.
  13. I wouldn't live in Meerbusch. Especially not as a young person. You want to be where all the action is and not have to worry about getting back home on time because otherwise you'll miss the last tram or bus.     
  14. Cities near forest or mountains

    I live in Dusseldorf. Population 630,000 - but very compact, on the Rhine, with lots of parks and outdoor swimming pools.   I've been going out with a walking group for about 17 years. You'd be surprised how much woodland there is around Wuppertal and Solingen. There are places where you can stand and just gaze upon an ocean of trees. Sometimes, I think of Canada (not that I've ever been there). The same with the Solinger Klingenpfad - long stretches of it are through woodlands.   Oh, and another good thing about D'dorf is that the airport is just 12 km from the main station in the centre of town and you can get there by train or bus. (Coming from North Wales and having to drive for a good while to get to an airport - I see this as a luxury.)
  15. Finding a social circle

    I find a lot of friends in libraries. Here in D'dorf, we have an International English Library and I sit in the back room with a coffee and the latest journals and newspapers and before long, someone else there will strike up a chat, or I will.    I'm also a bit of an introvert and I go and do lots of VHS courses because at least there you are surrounded by people and chat a bit. Sometimes, I might go for a coffee with someone afterwards.    I have a German mother and visited the German grandparents every year when growing up, but I find I don't have many German friends.* Only one. Lots of acquaintances that I can chat with - mostly in my walking group. Nice people. But not friends really.    Most of my friends were made here but now live back in their home countries and I don't see them any more - or very, very rarely.    I think if you can call one, two or three people 'friends', you are doing very well. Otherwise, you have drinking buddies, evening class companions, the person you meet up for an ice-cream and a chinwag, the person you meet up with at the cinema for NT Live broadcasts and so on. But a friend to hang out with and spill your heart out to... difficult. And rare.   *Mind you, when I studied in Manchester, I had one English friend, and when I worked in London for 4 years, I had no English friends. I am doomed to only get on with complete foreigners it seems.