• Content count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

695 Awesome

About dstanners

  • Rank

Profile Information

  • Location NRW
  • Nationality British

Recent Profile Visitors

2,756 profile views
  1. What's got you flummoxed today?

    @john g. I almost stopped watching when Bairstow was out. Bl00dy relieved I stuck with it. My youngest son has now watched two England matches on TV: the world cup final and this test. He is getting a really inaccurate impression of 1) how much games change and 2) how good England are at cricket. Absolutely brilliant game though.  
  2. First World Problems

    I reckon Bitburger's 0,0 radler isn't too bad (it's not beer, but it's drinkable). My linked first world dilemma is whether or not it is acceptable to let kids drink it? We don't let our kids have it, but at a barbecue at our place some friends did let their kids drink it. I guess since it's 0% then it's probably no worse than letting them have lemonade (which our kids sometimes drink). I'd like to say that my objection is that it stops them getting a taste for beer (but I'm really not sure that's true, and would be pretty hypocritical of me), but really my objection is just that to me is seems wrong to see 7-8 year olds walking around with Bit stubbies, even if there's no alcohol...possibly also hypocritical, but...well, that's why it's my first world dilemma. Views? 
  3. "Untranslatable" German words

    Yes, that's far more accurate. I just switched to Viz mode, and got carried away trying to remember entries from the profanisaurus (probably a UK only reference). 
  4. "Untranslatable" German words

    Isn't "face like a slapped @rse" closer linguistically, or "face like a bull dog chewing a wasp" (or the same dog, "licking p:ss off a nettle") in terms of accuracy? 
  5. Brexit: The fallout

    The posturing from Boris, trying to blame the EU, is straight out of Trump's play book. He's just repeating a simple (i.e. easily sold to the public) if wrong idea in the hope of trying to deflect blame for the event things go pear-shaped at the end of October. After all, it was the UK that asked to leave the EU, and as such it is the UK which has created the problem of the border. Theresa May negotiated a deal which included a backstop. Blaming the EU for not providing the UK with a better solution for a problem the UK has created is absurd.  
  6. Brexit: The fallout

    An unusual source, but I think this lunchtime's comment from Michelle O'Neill (sinn fein) covers the point pretty accurately:   Brexit is incompatible with the Good Friday agreement and the Tories have shown a total and callous disregard to that agreement and to the democratically expressed wishes of the people of the north. The fact is that the British government has agreed to the backstop and Boris Johnson has voted for it himself. The EU have made it clear that the backstop is integral to the withdrawal agreement and it is necessary to avoid any hardening of the border. It is high time the Tories realised that too.
  7. The Vent - No Chat!

    Thanks a bl00dy lot Trainline you b@stard. How kind of you to tell me that after you have cancelled my (€120) train tickets to London this f@cking weekend, that you will give me my money back some time in the next 5 days. So now I've either got to pay €350 for the same d@mn trip, or get back in the car for another weekend of driving back to England...for the second time in a week. Oh, if any of you want a lift to London or Reading on Friday (or back Saturday) let me know...
  8. Sorry to hear that life hasn't panned out as you'd hoped. It's not easy to make a new start. That said, in terms of meeting people you've got a few things in your favour: a dog, kids (I'm guessing from your age, they might not be grown up?) and a job. Each of those provides opportunities to meet people. Your only limiting factor seems to be the language, so that would be the best place for you to start. People on this forum seem to have gone to various language lessons/courses (perhaps your local VHS?), so I guess that might work and kind of kills two birds with one stone. I would suggest that most important would be to make a determined effort to use what ever German you have as much as possible. Start watching German TV, try reading German papers, and each time you go out, make a point of just passing the time of day with the other dog walkers in German. The natives love it. I assume your kids speak German. Whilst it's a big step (because moving to your "weaker" language does impact the power balance in relationships), you could start speaking German with them. If you really want to learn the language you have to push yourself. Yeah, you'll feel tongue-tied and it can be frustrating, and it's always so easy to make excuses for not learning, but if you are serious about making a life for yourself here, you need to get through that stage (which will take a while). Oh, and don't worry about making mistakes. You can always repeat yourself or try other words: when the punters find out that your mother tongue is English, they'll cut you tonnes of slack anyway. You'll find that once you speak the language, it'll be much easier to interact with other parents, other dog walkers and the non-Germans where you work. With dog owners in particular, it's so easy to get to know someone - just tell them their dog looks nice (even if it's a sh:tty rat-looking thing) or is behaving in a cute/cheeky way etc.  On the up side, you can always take a break from speaking German and b:tch about life in Germany (including the language) on this forum.
  9. What made you laugh today?

    @Clive2677 I preferred another one from the shortlist: A cowboy asked me if I could help him round up 18 cows. I said, “Yes, of course. That’s 20 cows. "
  10. Just as an update (following a reminder from @Sir Percy B), after applying to change my UK licence (with almost all variants A-D) to a German one over six months ago, I have been told that there is currently a "Stillstand" on English licence applications due to Brexit. I will be getting another update in two weeks. A few months back I was told that the hold up was due to attempts to harmonise licences in the odd categories across the EU.   For younger folk, I was told this doesn't apply to applications to swap normal category B licences, but as I like to drive all manner of odd vehicles (as allowed on licences obtained in the 1980s/early 90s) it is in my interests to see how this pans out. I offered to take a first aid course (something I understand is now required for driving 7.5 t lorries with trailers) and was told that this might make a difference and she will check and give me an update in September.  
  11. What are you listening to right now?

    Too true about the video: all it's missing is a small Stone Henge. Great song though.  
  12. What are you listening to right now?

    In light of my current profile rating, I thought I'd start the day with a classic: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxnN05vOuSM
  13. How to date without tinder

    Thanks @dj_jay_smith, it sounded so seedy the way @lisa13 described it, which wasn''t my aim at all! Perhaps it is a UK thing but it is also my experience here in Germany too - I'm pretty sure that Germans have also been known to enjoy a beer or two.  The places I go out are not "hookup joints" (I've been married for years, and have more than enough difficulty with the one poor woman who married me, to get involved with anything like that), but the idea made me laugh. That said, I do tend to go out for a drink in informal, "pub-like" places, where people aren't necessarily sat in fixed groups. My experience is that whenever I go out, I usually end up speaking to a variety of people in addition to the folk I go out with. It's not a conscious effort to leave one group and go and "hit on" someone from another group. It's just chatting to people. Is that so bad?...now I'll just wait until @lisa13 makes me paranoid that I'm the pub drunk always shouting nonsense and dribbling conversation at any passing stranger. 
  14. How to date without tinder

    So you've been given tips on where to meet women. But thinking that way makes you sound like you are on a hunting expedition. It seems as though women might hang out at museums in the mornings, but only go to a museum if there is something on at the museum you'd enjoy. Likewise, only go to a dance lesson if you actually want to learn to dance.   I still reckon you'd be best off just going out with a few mates for a few drinks and seeing what happens (and not worrying if "all" that happens is a good time with your mates).    
  15. How to date without tinder

    Too bl00dy right. As for looking at youtube videos...well, good luck with that (off topic, but it makes my 6 year old son's obsession with watching youtube videos of anacondas and crocodiles eating each other sound almost normal). So, sorry to say this OP, but you're coming across as completely desperate.  Why not try to have fun? You might enjoy it. Oh yeah, and people like hanging out with other people who are fun. Some people are female (rumour has it that it's around 50%. You've got to like those odds). But don't even bother "trying" to have fun, if the only reason you are doing it is to meet women - it's desperate and transparent.