• Content count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Posts posted by batchfile

  1. @JonnyEnglander  I did the reverse journey last weekend in our U.K. registered car, with no problems.  My route was France and Luxembourg.  

    When I checked in at Ashford the U.K. Border Agent asked why I’d been in the U.K. for a week, no evidence of my reason was requested.  French control were only interested in my Covid test results.  Enroute I saw police cars at two motorway areas I stopped at and neither bothered me, nor did the one I drove past when about 5 miles away from home here.


    Good luck if you try it.  We’re driving back for the summer in a couple of weeks.  



  2. Bear in mind that the test results need to be in English, French or Spanish.  That has precluded me getting mine done at the local GP.  I seem to have struck lucky, there's a centre in the next town offering tests, so I've booked there, having checked the results will be in English.  I only saw them by chance, advertising in the local free paper.


    According to the page you also need evidence of two further tests booked in the 10 day window that you have to quarantine in the UK.


    Good luck.


  3. There are others far more expert than me davmg, hopefully they'll be along soon.  I know you were talking about time rather than money but I think it just goes with the self-employed thing - surely you can take whatever time you want off, you just wouldn't be earning any money?


    Would these guys be able to advise you do you think?


  4. Do they pay your health insurance and other contributions?  If so I guess you're employed and entitled to the standard array of benefits, defined by entitlement and contribution.


    If you're self-employed though I don't see that it's anything your employer (i think to be properly self-employed you  need more than one employer) would fund.


    When I taught English, privately and for a couple of language schools, I certainly would not have been paid sick pay or holiday pay by anyone.


  5. This brings back a memory of crossing a clear road while the man was still on red.  Hissed whispers of child murderers accompanied us.  I personally thought it was a bit daft but noted it down as a German way and noted not to do it again.  Imagine my amusement when the indignant family (mum, dad, toddler & babe in arms) sat at the adjacent table to us in the restaurant and both parents lit up cigarettes before even opening the menu.

    Different cultures and all that.


  6. That all sounds quite miserable.


    As someone else noted you are required to have valid health insurance here and something that only covers critical care is not valid health insurance.


    john g. or Starshollow (both posters here, john g. above) can help you sort out health insurance.


    In the short term it looks like you need to sort out pflegedienst - a google for your area should throw up some links and then you will be able to arrange for someone to come in and help you with day-to-day stuff.


    Good luck.


  7. Really, get away from the attitude that the people who will help you are dumb or that you need to rip anyone a new one (or whatever).


    Germany is process driven - follow the processes and you will get results.  Is your wife not able to help with any of this?  I get that they thought she was a Diplomat and that she wasn't - that sounds like something fairly straight forward for a native German to sort out.


    We're moving back to the UK at the moment and my husband has resigned his job here without having a job to go to there.  This has been greeted here with much amazement. Never underestimate cultural differences, people here, generally, plan and provide so, yep, there will be incredulity that you have rocked up on the 'happy wife, happy life' basis.  


    Others have given you good links and suggestions, here's hoping you find your way through them and that you and your family settle well and are happy here.




  8. White Rose - I am so sorry for your loss.  I have checked back a few times today hoping for better news.


    I pretty much know which cupboard the spray is in so when my husband is home this weekend I will get him to look and tell me the name.  Meanwhile I would wash the area with a damp cloth then sprinkle with baking soda, leave to dry, hoover up.  Go through that a few times and that should lift some of the odour.


    Again, so, so sorry.  I am raising a glass in your vague direction in memory of Jeremy and all your happy memories of him.

    Here's a link to some Amazon suggestions. I think ours was one that was only available from the vet - we had a cat with crippled back legs who would often leak without realising it (she was a lot more charming than she sounds!)



  9. I'm in the UK at the moment so don't have to hand the bottle, and therefore the name, of the excellent neutraliser spray that I got from our German vet - it's a little puff spray bottle rather than an aerosol and is v good at breaking down the enzymes that leave a stink.  Good for your noses but also for Jeremy in case he is now confused since he has peed elsewhere.


    There are several reasons for a cat to start not using their litter box.  I will cross fingers and toes that the solution for Jeremy is an easy one - these pesky animals steal our hearts don't they?


  10. John G or Starshollow will give you the best advice on insurance but, in essence, you're EHIC's are not valid as you're living here. They're designed for travel within the EU to allow us to get treatment when away from home. Here you will need proper, German approved health insurance for yourself and your family - the cost is dependent on your income and whether you choose to join a public (which is not free) or private (for which you either need a certain income or to be self-employed) scheme.


    Be careful that if you do decide to set up as a mobile hairdresser that you meet all the business and insurance requirements required here.


    Good luck.


  11. But you won't be living in the UK. To make matters clearer for the Inland Revenue fill in form P85 -


    If what you're saying is that your UK employer can only handle you as a payroll employee then that complicates matters. You still will not pay double taxation, but as a resident of Germany your tax obligation remains to Germany though.


    From my experience of dealing with the Inland Revenue and the Finanzamt I'd talk the German lot any day, more helpful and better skilled and trained staff.


  12. You wouldn't pay both UK and German tax.


    Do you want your income in £ or €? Could your employer pay you in € if you wanted? Logistically, to me, your best way forward would be to invoice your employer as a freelancer thus allowing you to handle your taxes yourself. those taxes would be due in Germany.


    The cheering thing is, in my experience, accounting as a freelancer is far more generous in Germany than the UK - you seem able to offset far more costs.