• Content count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

190 Excellent

About sonazeit

Contact Methods

  • Website http://

Profile Information

  • Location Hamburg
  • Nationality USA
  • Gender Female
  1. What teachers say to kids...

    @Joanie:   Currently there are 96 individual Math classes based on completing kompentenzorientiertes lernen worksheets. Instead of 4 groups of children being taught by 4 Math teachers, which would seem more effective to me.    But the third graders are not all really ready for regular third grade Math, or Gymnasium-prep math, even though half or more will go to Gymnasium (almost anyone may go here).   So, the idea to split for Math time into groups which make sense to teach together.  The rest of the time the children and staff can be in their usual room with their usual group of children.    I like your idea of giving up on the subject blocked by the school and instead passing the time another way!  I asked for permission for my daughter to bring a book and read there instead of sit there with the Kompetenzprientierung workbooks/worksheets which bring her nothing but frustration to stop the Schulschwänzen  but got rejected.    A brief week or two recently was an exception, I noticed the dark cloud go from my daughter, and I mentioned this to and thanked the Lernplanner, but I think it got nixed by the school director as the Kompetenzorientierte worksheets, the dark cloud and the Schulschwänzen on days with particularly heavy Kompentenzorientierung ideology are back.    The school does not have open time in which a child could read a subject of interest, or really adjust for individual needs, but rather lots of Kompetenzorientierung assignment  time, which is kind of like getting tons of useless homework instead of being taught school mornings.    I don't mean to convey that all German schools are like this.  I mean that even outside of Bremen/Hamburg/Berlin are also schools adopting the busywork instead of teaching reforms. So families relocating and looking for a public school might want to check the current reform status and plans of the school, not just rely on how it was a few years ago, or how it is at a neighboring school.                      
  2. I live in Hamburg, I have heard of this recent (last few years) getting more stringent too. I would try this, 50% chance it will work:   Go in person with a copy and the original of the rental agreement to the Anmeldungsamt. Sublets are perfectly fine. One week is also perfectly fine.    Tell them the person from whom you rented will not cooperate and ask to apply to Anmelden anyway, even if approval cannot at this time be given as a result. Ask them if they would send a request to this person on your behalf, as you have no other way to obey the law. Make a note that you did this in case you ever get accused of not trying to register. You can at least show you tried.    It might turn out that they will let you apply for the Anmeldung with that requirement missing at this time and not give you the approval at this time, and say they will have to wait and see how the person who rented to you answers, and then in a week or two  surprise surprise you get your approval and actual Anmeldung to pick up at the Anmeldung office.    And concurrently how about the good old, well, Mr. sublettor I really legally do have to register now, I'll have to ask the main landlord then, and then see if the person coughs up approval? Mentioning to contact the main landlord often gets sublettors moving on all sorts of matters.    I would not sign a long term anything unless really planning to stay a while, as in many cases you could get stuck with debt (for example, I will have to fix the wood floor of where I am most likely, but I plan to stay a while longer so not too bad). I have an acquaintance who got stuck with debt from her first rental in Hamburg, probably also her having to repair something.   There is nothing wrong with taking a first place for a few months, registering there, and then moving on, many individuals and families do this when relocating to Hamburg as you need any place at first to get going.  
  3. What teachers say to kids...

    For children who want to go slower in Math, except for some old-style schools which are still teaching to grade level, Hamburg is getting better in terms of Math education. You can even stay with friends and not have to know any Math I think until grade 6 end, when I think Gymnasium can still expel children who do not meet some minimum ability level in it (maybe 20% percent of the children get booted).   I highly recommended my daughter's current school to someone I know whose daughter is stressed out at a KESS 6 school which is teaching Math too fast for her, so not rubbish but perfect for many children. And any parents in our area who happen to read my posts on my daughter's current school, it is a mismatch in the morning program regarding mostly Math, the class is slow (NOT the kids!) and my daughter wanted to be taught at at least grade level. Which could be esily solved with allowing her a tutor at my expense a couple mornings a week if all the other kids are happy with the slower pace, no need to alter what they are doing. But I got refused and I want to try to keep her in the neighborhood school because that's where the other kids in the neighborhood go.   My daughter appreciates being taught and I appreciate when she is taught as well.  She gets taught now swimming and is so happy one school morning a week for a change. She would like the same for Math and Co. and have afternoons free.No matter how much effort her Lernplanner puts into Lernplanning her Math school mornings instead of simply allowing her to be taught, it is unfortunately ineffective. Pardon the Denglish regarding the Lernplanning.  German is to a lesser extent similar, but in Math it seems she got taught close to 0 school mornings and has had a huge amount of her school mornings and even afternoons wasted with this Lernplanning stuff.   I don't mean at all to say all schools in Germany are the same in terms of Reform introduction or other changes at all. I meant to say the opposite, even the same Grundschule, in the span of one year, might drastically change what is done in a typical class, because of  recent reform legal requirements or because of increased heterogeneity of the children who show up in September in some areas even outside of Bremen/Hamburg/Berlin.   And I was also wondering, when I read so often on teacher forums and hear from school staff that their biggest challenge is the heterogenity in the class room in the Grundschulen, why staff don't want to split the children into rough ability groups. I just see: heterogeneity has increased therefore we have to give up teaching groups of children and instead pass out to them different assignments from the reform list of materials (individualize). I don't see why ability grouping is ignored as an alternative solution to increased heterogeneity when it is so extreme that even teaching to grade level has become a challenge.                                  
  4. What teachers say to kids...

    I just want to say to any parents looking for a school for their child in Germany, private or public, based on the experience of my daughter the past few years regarding the various reforms underway, which might make your child's experience very different from what a child may have experienced a few years ago or even last year in the same school. The main trend though is a general dumbing down, especially in Math, and passing off of teaching from teachers to parents and tutors outside of school hours.   In 'Klassischer Unterricht', which is being cancelled, there are only holdouts it seems, the child will usually get a school book with lots of rich text examples and be taught how to do basic Math calculations, often at a Gymnasium-prep pace, which may be right for your child or might be too fast and stressful, and you will be stuck with trying to help her or him catch up unless the child is into Math. In Germany, this seems to happen more in neighborhoods with parents who are CDU or CSU voters.  The child will be taught (unless the teacher is often absent, which happens in many schools, CDU or SPD), get homework, and have tests with the rest of the class. You may apply for the child to repeat a grade to allow for more time, or there is Drehtür or weekly pull outs for the nerds to keep them busy.    There is a movement for 'individualisiertes Lernen', which means 'we teachers can't teach a class of kids who are in different grade levels in the subject and have IQs in the subject ranging from 65 to 140 together, and this is legally mandated to have them in the same room while the subject is 'unterrichtet' (words lehren and such are avoided, because that means teaching), so instead of teaching them we pass out worksheets for them to fill out at their own pace.'   Individual attention to children who are slower: a worksheet. A pull out for children who are faster? Another worksheet at best, no pull out for group teaching of them. Usually this means a much slower pace and for children on the faster end in the subject extreme frustration, and a fleeing by them by the thousands to private schools. My daughter is doing still today what she was taught a year ago at a classically teaching school, and only slowing down is allowed in terms of 'at your own pace' in public schools, to help kill off the Gymnasium by sending them as many children as possible who are unready for 5th grade Math.   In public schools the materials usually must come from an approved 'Kompentenzorientierte' publisher, and they tend to be not good materials for a child to teach herself at grade level, which is a super pain, since these are exactly the same schools which on longer teach, the parents have to step afternoons and Ferien to do the teacher role of teaching unless they think the child really ought to go a year or more slower than grade level.   In the public school that uses the reform ideology, I can't call it pedagogy, as the reforms mean the lack of teaching rather than a method of teaching, the child is demanded all the time to show what she can do, not to practice what she has been taught by a teacher.   Private schools seem to more often not to be against children being taught at great level, but when they are doing the individualiertes learning, often parents have to put effort into teaching and organizing the child, since each person is doing his own thing during many of the school hours, and there can be 'Hausaufgaben', 'Schulaufgaben', 'Referat Vorbereitung', 'Wochenplan', 'Monatsplan' ,'Lernplan' ,'Hefte für das Thema des Monats', at the same time several German-related notebooks...   as in the public reform schools.   In Hamburg in public schools at least for 1-4 grade there is at this time absolutely 0 academic minimum standard for the child to fulfill to be passed onto the next grade. So, my kid sits in a room for Math and German with kids at Vorschule to beginning 3 grade level, not because children are dumb there but because there is not much teaching and no minimum standard to be placed into the next grade (they just change the number on the door from 2 to 3 but continue with grade 2 worksheets at best the next half year).      Admission standards into Gymnasium have also been abolished, so she will probably get more of the same as well after 5th grade, but less so than if she wen to Stadtteilschule, as more of the Gymnasium children at least are able in German.   There is a 'Kompetenzorientiertes Lernen' movement in addition to the individualiertes movement,  which means instead of teaching basic Grundschule knowledge, have the children fill in workbooks to show the school what they can do (what the parents taught them at home). Usually the materials are a grade lower level than they would be at a 'Klassischer Unterricht' school, and for a motivated kid annoying. Even some Unis are being told to do Kompetenzorientierung.    My child often did under the supervision of one or more adults assignments clearly wrong, and no one pointed this out to her.    There is a movement also to kill off the intellectually elitist Gymnasium, but not by allowing ability differentiated teaching of groups of children in the same building, making Gymnasium no longer needed, but by grouping on purpose the most heterogeneous IQ and interest group of children they can into each room, either Gymnasium or Stadtteilschule, and this way it is just not doable to properly teachMath and such at the same time and place to these children.   I don't get why children may not be grouped into ability for Math and German, as they can for swimming instruction, so that my daughter can go to the same school building after 5th grade as her play pals, so they can all stay in the neighborhood. With the reforms we have more and more parents in Hamburg having to devote one parent to school commute companion/driver role, not to mention teacher role, even ones who are pro one school for all, and fleeing despite poverty and severe commute hardship to child and parent to private schools in other parts of the city. Just allowing rough ability grouping into different rooms in the same building would make possible for the children to play with their friends and still get taught by a teacher school mornings.    Many 'teachers' in Germany seem to genuinely be against the teaching of Math at grade level, forget about faster, from what I have encountered the past months.    In my daughter's class the hatred of teaching her Math is so strong, that when she asks to be taught the next step of German Grundschule Math calculation, she is told to teach it to herself. After 5 months no teaching at a grade level pace, forget about an individually-appropriate pace, she actually asked if I could stay outside the classroom one morning the next school day after she was refused her pleading to be explained a German calculation method, so she could then practice it, so she could for a few minutes step out and ask me during the 'teach yourself Math' time and then be able to go back to the room and practice it, since the school provides her no proper teaching in the subject. Many schools doing the 'Individualiertes' thing do, however, have someone run around to answer some of the questions by the 23 or more children at different grade levels in the subject, so still only 1/23 the teaching time of a classic style class, better than 0. Some staff and school directors and definitely the current Hamburg school system head are really into  the '4th grade Math needs to wait until 5th grade so we can kill off the Gymnasium' so refuse to teach the faster (or grade level) kids, place many stones in their way.    What I don't get is, although many people want to delay the split into Uni track to way after 4th grade, why don't they just allow ability-differentiated classes in the various schools, so a child can actually get taught? And have incentive to try to move into a subject-specific higher track, or be able to shift to an easier track in the subject without losing contact with friends? That way it would not matter which of the several schools in our area my daughter would attend, Stadtteilschule or Gymnasium. That would be I think a better way to the 'school for all' movement.  There would be thousands fewer children fleeing to private schools in major german cities, and much quicker acceptance of 'one school for all' .    What do you TTers think?                 
  5. Relocating young family

    Maybe ask for a 'Hospitation'? Because what is good for one child may not be for another.
  6. What teachers say to kids...

    @Samlov  I meant you can probably find one via ebay kleinanzeigen. Many tutors find their clients this way and it costs usually less than going to an official tutoring or language business plus they often are willing to come to where is convenient for you. You can put your postal code in it and people close by will apply.
  7. What teachers say to kids...

    I have a question for teachers on TT:   In your opinion what is the difference between a Math 'Schulbook'  and a Math 'Arbeitsheft'?   I ask because the Hamburg Bildungsplan states that Math 'Unterricht' in Grundschule is to be done with a 'Schulbuch' as base.    'Der Mathematikunterricht nutzt über ein Schulbuch hinaus weitere Informationsquellen und Hilfsmittel.'   Specifically, is Flex und Flo, for example this product, a 'Schulbuch' in your opinion, or an 'Arbeitsheft' in your opinion?   The children at my daughter's school are to use about 3 or 4 such Flex und Flo Hefte in this series to teach themselves 3rd grade Math (after a half year delay as the school flunked second grade math last school year with the same series).   For comparison, see Das Mathebuch 3 Schülerbuch by Mildenberger Verlag, with which a teacher would teach a class, and then the class would be assigned work to do in a separate Arbeitshefte after the lesson to practice what they had been taught. The teacher teaches the material in the book systematically and clearly  on time. The vast majority of the children passed second grade Math and even excelled this way, as they had time to do applications of Math as well.   But if there are a number of teachers who think Flex und Flo is really an Arbeitsheft series and not a schoolbook, then the parents can bring this up to the school.               
  8. What teachers say to kids...

    I can probably fnd one through  ebay kleinanzeigen.   
  9. What teachers say to kids...

    Update:   The latest SEGELn results are in and Hamburg has thanks to its glorious idiocy reached yet another low point in Hamburg Math:   Like Schreiben nach Gehör another mass idiocy wave in some German-speaking countries that passes on responsibility form teachers to parents and leads the children astray during the school hours. Total waste of their time.    Comments from other parents in German areas plagued with this workbook instead of teaching ideology.   ' bei uns ist es schon an der Grundschule so, es werden immer mehr Aufgaben bei immer niedrigerem Niveau - mein Sohn muss jetzt in der 2. Klasse eine Fülle von Aufgaben bearbeiten, die meine Tochter vor 2 Jahren damals nicht machen musste. Das Niveau ist aber eher gesunken, es wird immer noch + und - im Zahlenraum bis Hundert gerechnet, wo sie vor 2 Jahren schon an den Malaufgaben saßen. Für Kinder, die schnell verstehen, ist das sehr demotivierend. '   It is a complaint about the child having to keep filling out stupid time wasting worksheets instead of being taught.    And I have the exact same impression unfortunately as this parent:   ' viele Lehrer verteilen nur Materialien,die dann im Unterricht in kleinen Grüppchen oder alleine bearbeitet werden sollen,bei Bedarf geht die Lehrkraft herum und antwortet auf konkret gestellte Fragen. Allgemeines,grundlegendes Unverständnis wird einfach ignoriert. Um zielgerichtete Fragen zu stellen,müssen die Kinder aber schon ein Grundverständnis entwickelt haben,gerade in Mathe. Es gibt auch kaum Feedback,die Arbeitsergebnisse werden aufgrund von ´ Zeitmangel´ nur sehr unregelmäßig besprochen. Den Matheunterricht für unsere Tochter haben wir nun erstmal vollständig übernommen und ihr quasi auch verboten,die kurz vermittelten Lösungswege aus der Schule anzuwenden,weil diese umständlich und verwirrend sind. '   So, a lot of families are having problems with this latest idiocy.    Will unfortunately have to switch school, because as though she is legally required to be allowed to have access to materials at her level and depth requirement (=illegal in her case to forbid her to read a Math book) at her current school, it is difficult to enforce so she will have to flee. I send her in the meantime as cheap daycare (daughter agrees with Spiderpig's assessment that is is more daycare than school) as she can at least see the neighborhood children in the building and on the way there and back, so I think she can stomach it for a while as long as they don't force her to do anymore idiotic SEGELn workbooks though Deutsch and Sachkunde are also frustrating because of lack of systematic teaching and mixing of grades in one Arbeitsheft and classroom.    One of her classmates fled because of the SEGELn ideology last December to a private religious school in another section of Hamburg, she will have to move away from her friends unfortunately as a result. Another SEGELn casualty.   I have now a Gutachten (kid got tested and result was the morning program is way too dumbed down and way to chaotic for her) and some info on upper grade schools and Grundschulen in our area, had to wait until this past week to finish, so will see what I can do to fix my daughter's morning experience.                                               
  10. Moving out due to problematic alcoholic roommate

    Axe. Hatchet.  By 2. I meant sublet again.  I agree with someonesdaughter, never mind the agreement, you have no further obligation about it from the date you fled due to egregious circumstances that made staying no longer bearable, you were effectively forced out. Put your bank info in your cancellation notice if you want money that way. If he wants keys back before giving you money at this point forget it. You can mail him the keys return receipt after you get all your deposit your money back. If you fled mid month I would demand and prepaid rent for any unused days back as well.     
  11. Moving out due to problematic alcoholic roommate

    Just some ideas,   I would not send back the key unless he gives you the deposit back first even if you promised to.    Use what leverage you have. Tell him you will ask the landlord for help if he does not give you back the money immediately.  You can say you will turn to the landlord directly to see if they can help with getting your deposit back (even if they can't) as you need the money immediately. If he says he does not have so much money right away ask him how much he has in the bank and say you'll be okay with that as a partial payback for now if he shows you the bank statement for the past 30 days as proof or else you are going to the landlord for help (even if they can't, it's just to threaten him to blow his fraud)  Also threaten to contact the Job Center (maybe he is on welfare and if you have evidence that you paid him rent even if in cash and he is on welfare but did not tell the job center he will probably get some financial penalty).   He can get booted out for this if he did not get landlord permission to sublet to you, even if it was short-term.  Even if it was legal, his having a problem with you would allow the landlord to make it harder for him to sublet  legally the room in the near future. Send him by return receipt requested mail Sublet cancel notice to take effect immediately upon your move out date, even if it was in the past, due to unbearable conditions (need not specify what they were). Keep a copy of the letter and the return receipt (Einschreiben). Can be written in English. Use move out date even if you said something verbally different to him. If he is not on welfare, he might be required to report rental income (I never sublet so I don't know) to the Finanzamt on his yearly private tax return. So, use your 4 points of leverage: 1. Job Center - you can find the office responsible for him based on his address and send them evidence, even if in English.  2. Landlord (illegal sublet, make it harder to result room even if this sublet was legal)  3. Keys  4. Finanzamt Until you get your money back. 
  12. Truck-driven terror attack at Berlin Christmas market

    I second program director's separating out from the general population proposal. Would at least reduce incentive to migrate here without a visa unless a real refugee.  
  13. What teachers say to kids...

      SEGELn has replaced my daughter's teacher with   That's what I think is stupid. Not the people. The children at my daughter's school are nice, we often invite them over to our home. It is the lack of teaching of third grade Math and German school mornings a few times a week that has been a waste of my daughter's time.    I have confirmed that there is at this time in Hamburg no administrative recourse when a child is prohibited from being taught at her grade level during school hours.   She needs to be taught regular Math and German, not special classes. Begabten teaching would not apply to her even if there were any. In fact, after months of neglect she is that many months behind a normal third grader.  This facility does not offer and in fact prohibits the teaching of third grade Math and German to third graders. There may a complete withdrawal of teaching of these two subjects. In fact, this is politically desired. This is SEGELn ideology.  It is seen as modern.   The alternative, teaching groups of children at a particular rough academic grade level or strength together, has been rejected. Schools still teaching classically are being pressured to adopt SEGELn.  We got lucky and got almost two years of classical teaching before encountering SEGELn.    Under SEGELn there may be a repeat of the entire class to a lower grade despite the slogan in the Hamburg media of 'Förderung statt Wiederholen'. Just the number on the door goes up. There may be a prohibition of the use of schoolbooks during self-teach time. Parents need to arrange for teaching privately if they think their children would benefit from teaching.  My daughter has not been receiving third grade Math and German lessons this school year. She has no right to receive any teaching in these subjects at a school in Hamburg. She has been completely neglected education-wise the past several months with the results one would expect.   I tried with no luck to get a approval for some tutoring during the offener Unterricht (teach yourself with workbooks) hours to give her some teaching school mornings, preserve her afternoon play time, and to enable her to see the 'school' as a real school, but was refused.    This has caused since September attendance problems, not to mention compete lack of third grade education for my daughter. She has a legal right to Bildung, which I have not been providing her hoping that the school would do most of the teaching of third grade Math and German.   The central Hamburg government is aware of the dismal Math results with this self teaching thing and are fine with it. We are the Math light place and many parents are fine with that.  Fifth graders here are now often still working on basic arithmetic rather than moving on to fifth grade Math. Both at Stadtteilschule and Gymnasium.  As for German, that is not hard for the german families with a stay-at-home parent or a grandparent at least to help out with teaching afternoons.   So, after testing out this teach yourself ideology for a few months and getting disastrous results, we join the other families in teaching at home a little four times a week to do damage control. We're familiar with a good set of materials and I have arranged for someone to come to our home.    Thank you all again for your input. 
  14. What teachers say to kids...

    Thanks again all for your comments and insights.   As you can see by this announcement, my daughter is not in a real third grade class. It's a test to see if the children know very basic second grade material. It has nothing regarding normal third grade material.    She's a normal kid who needs a normal third grade class in which she is taught normal third grade Math and German, but our local school seems to have recently been converted to a new ideology called SEGELn and it has been a disaster for our family.   All attempts to ameliorate the situation, such as allowing her to use third grade school books for German and Math, attend a parallel class that is taught at a normal third grade level,  get a tutor to teach her during some of the Arbeitsblätter hours, have failed.   I have contacted several school advisory places with no luck since September.    The SEGELn ideology extends into the afternoon care there. She is still ordered to do Math basic calculation second grade review there as well.    SEGELn almost ensures migrants who live in our neighborhood end up at the local migrant school in 5th grade, where SEGELn is continued.  So, good for german families with a housewife to teach at home, the children get Math light through Abitur (many Hamburg families in my neighborhood want for their children Abitur with Math light) and the migrant children are segregated out.    On a positive note, my daughter likes the Pause of the morning program as she can be with the local children and they seem to have a music class that is taught.    I would therefore like to find a solution as it's our neighborhood school  but it looks like SEGELn politics are strong and block a solution which would help my daughter and our family.   I know what material needs to be covered and I can arrange for it to be done privately and have materials and manpower lined up but this does not solve the SEGELn problem of the morning (and afternoon) programs which is gumming up the works on a daily basis.    I want school to just do plain normal school on school mornings.  And not take over my daughter's free play time.    Would write more but have had my hands full daily since my daughter broke the bad news to me the second week of September. She has been devoid of education since 01.09.2016.    . 
  15. What teachers say to kids...

    Was no uproot. It's the neighborhood school a block away so she knows the children and can play with them there. She's been in the same flat since birth. She's happy to get rid of the commute.  Many parents like the school this way and I praise it for putting out innovative ideas and brainstorming such as the linked draft. Just I was not prepared for the no teaching part. I agree, parents take up the teaching part it seems in many cases.  Different schools and even different classes inside a school seem to be quite different here.  Cannot teach her play pal together as they are effectively in different grades. The children I thought go to school to be taught together but now I know this is outdated thinking.  Just wondering if any parent got around the having to step in and teach part. Looks like no.  The problem we had before in Kita and Vorschule was when she was age based placed (she is early in year born, and a girl, and Hamburg is a well-known taillight of education).  Another peer of hers got an exception to the age-based placement and is doing fine as a result. A boy we know is still trying to get out of age based placement, he is very frustrated, and I'm so glad I spared my daughter that.