• Content count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

162 Excellent

About DoubleDTown

Contact Methods

  • Website http://

Profile Information

  • Location Germany
  • Nationality USA
  • Gender Male
  • Year of birth 1969
  1. Scouts, cubs, and beaver packs in Munich

    the Boy Scouts of America have a footprint in Germany too.   Main web site:   Cub Scouts is the program for boys in grades 1 to 5, it's not yet co-ed the way I understand things are in Australia.     The group near Munich is based at the Munich International School in Starnberg, Pack 147    
  2. German Taxes: Give it to me straight.

    do not underestimate how helpful paying a Steuerberater for a one to two hour conversation on all of this might be.  it's worth the money.
  3. Websites for laptop purchase

      and    I only buy refurbished, that's worked out great for me for 20 years
  4. US Immigration Lawyers in Munich

      and thus we see why countries have on-first-glance-odd rules like requiring someone be in a country for X amount of time after age X in order to pass on citizenship to a child born outside the country.   without such rules, the number of citizens born abroad with no connection/affiliation to the country would proliferate dramatically in just two generations
  5. US Immigration Lawyers in Munich

    If you want to know with more certainty what the consular officer is likely to do, you need to talk to a U.S. specialized immigration attorney.  Which is not free, but in the 21st century is only a phone call away.  Birth tourism might be only option to secure U.S. citizenship for the child.    As to the child not getting German citizenship, I gather you are already a dual citizen, holding U.S. and some other citizenship and the child will inherit your non-U.S. citizenship, or the citizenship of the other parent, at birth.  Because I suspect if the child would be otherwise stateless, that it would get German citizenship despite your less-than-8-year German residency.   
  6. US Immigration Lawyers in Munich

    Further to my post above about getting the child U.S. citizenship via the grandparents: I think that this route means the child is not born a U.S. citizen, which also raises the potential issue with Germany's citizenship rules of the child having to make a choice at some point between U.S. or German citizenship.
  7. US Immigration Lawyers in Munich

    Make plans to give birth in the USA.   Alternately, can you document 2 years worth of cumulative presence in the U.S.?  3 weeks here and 2 weeks there? I haven't read the actual regulation, but the consulate's summary doesn't say you have to have been resident, merely present.   Of course, the consulate summary also literally says the child should have been married to a U.S. parent, and I don't think that is the intent.   "A child born outside of the United States and in wedlock to a U.S. citizen parent and a non U.S. citizen parent, may acquire U.S. citizenship at birth if the U.S. citizen parent has been physically present in the United States or one of its outlying possessions for a period of five years, two of which were after the age of fourteen."   Another way to go, which you should definitely check with a specialist lawyer about before relying on and foregoing birth within the U.S.:  applying for citizenship based on the child's grandparent -- assuming your parents qualify:   “INA Section 322 provides for the expedited naturalization of the alien child of a citizen, if the alien child is “residing outside of the United States” and meets the relevant requirements of Section 322. One requirement is that the citizen parent must have “been physically present in the United States or its outlying possessions for a period or periods totaling not less than five years, at least two of which were after attaining the age of fourteen years.” INA § 322(a)(2)(A), 8 U.S.C. § 1433(a)(2)(B).  If the citizen parent cannot meet this requirement, the alien child may still qualify if the citizen parent’s own citizen parent can meet the physical presence requirement.  Id. § 322(a)(2)(B), 8 U.S.C. § 1433(a)(2)(B).”   See     But note, this does not mean the child is born an American -- therefore eligibilty for the presidency goes out the window.
  8. Raising children quadrilingually

    To get practice, and to get your kids into a room with other "native speakers", even if they attend a private school, try to get them into a herrkuntsprachliche Unterricht ("HSU").  In theory kids with a "migrations Hintergrund" should get HSU for language(s) their parents speak.  Such classes might meet only once a week for 45 minutes, and possibly at a different school than where your kids go, but I think it makes a difference.
  9.   pun, or misspelling?
  10.   you know that's a still from a 1986 movie, right?
  11. Things to ponder

    Maybe it sounds that way, but what it means to those fluent in oppressor-speak is: the fact the operation used a "Geronimo" reference to refer to capture or killing of this target pretty much resolves the pondering right there
  12. Things to ponder

      Operation Geronimo.  res ipsa loquitur   the thing speaks for itself
  13.   I appreciate GreenVirgo's suggestions, which I found helpful.  I hadn't had any classes for years.  My tips: YouTube is a great training tool, there are tons of helpful videos to prepare for the test.  Doing practice tests was good training and knowing the format ahead of time familiarized me with the test so that I knew what to expect.  One's goal when facing the test is not to learn German, but to know how to use the German you have to pass the test.
  14. Can I challenge "Eigenbedarf"?

      born '84 = millenial = _______