• Content count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

11 Neutral

About Strakurinn

Profile Information

  • Nationality Spanish
  • Gender Male
  1. employed in DE and home office in EU

    I believe it depends on the local legislation of the country you are moving to.  What LeonG mentioned above is true, in some EU countries you are allowed to live and work for a foreign employer without the need for said employer to be registered in that country.  However, you will need to pay all taxes and social contributions linked to employment in your new country of residence, so your German employer would need to be willing to pay those amounts to you as part of your monthly salary and then be ok with you providing them with records that prove that you are fulfilling all financial obligations linked to your employment situation in the other country.  It is a tough pill to swallow in most companies due to the sensitivity of the case.  I hope that the HR department of your German employer is sympathetic to your situation because you will need them on your side to pull this off.    
  2. Which part of nebenkosten are tax deductible?

    Disclaimer: I am not a tax advisor and this is not professional tax advice.   My understanding is that you can claim back a portion (I think the Elster program calculates the exact % by itself) of what you paid as nebenkosten associated to manual labor only.  In other words, no parts, no fuel or mileage fee, no VAT, etc.  You need to receive from your landlord copies of the paid invoices that he charged to you as nebenkosten, and then you can only claim for deduction the amounts related to manual work done by a professional.  
  3. I hope that someone with similar case as mine, or with experience in the topic, could help me to understand what is the criteria that must be met in order to request a tax relief in connection to having a double household.  My situation is the following:   My family and me had been living in Germany for many years.  Due to family reasons, in 2021 we took the decision to relocate back to my spouse's home country.  My wife and children moved away after the last school year ended in the summer 2021; they deregistered from our address in Germany and registered in our new country.  We moved almost all our household belongings (furniture, personal effects, etc.) at the time using an international moving company.  In the meantime, I continue residing in Germany due to professional commitments (my plan is to also move away in a couple of months once my employment contract ends).  I live in a rented house and my family lives abroad in a house we own but still pay mortgage for.   Since my family left in the summer of 2021, we have been travelling (air travel) back and forth between both countries in order to visit each other periodically and stay connected as a family. My wife did not work while residing in Germany but she started to work after moving abroad last summer.  I only have income from my employer so I have been taking care of doing a joint tax return in previous years as it was a pretty straight-forward tax return to file.  Now I need to do the tax return for year 2021 and wondered if I can claim some of the moving  and travel expenses under the "double household" concept. All in all, including the move abroad and all the travel back and forth, I have spent approximately €10K in 2021 due to this situation.   My questions are:   1) Does my situation fulfill the criteria to apply for tax deductions under the double household concept? 2) What expenses can be (fully or partially) claimed back?  Air travel? Moving expenses (packing and transportation)? Other (for example rent in Germany as I need to stay here for the purpose of working)? 3) Which section (Anlage) of the tax return do I need to fill out to apply for double household tax relief? 4) If you are someone who has gone through it, can you share your opinion if it is worthy to go through the hassle in comparison to the tax break one receives?     Thank you in advance to all those that reply.  Much appreciated!