• Content count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

10,680 Awesome with awesome sauce

About PandaMunich

Contact Methods

  • Website http://

Profile Information

  • Location Munich
  • Nationality German
  • Gender Female
  • Year of birth 1974
  1. Berufsgenossenschaft for self-employed: Mandatory?

    Maybe he's channelling his inner Scot?   Congrats, you got lucky. There is a fine line between Freiberufler and Gewerbetreibender for people who produce Gebrauchskunst, for details:
  2. Berufsgenossenschaft for self-employed: Mandatory?

    Sorry, but no chance of that. What you are doing is handwerklich, i.e. gewerblich. Please read §18 EStG to see what a Freiberufler is:
  3. Various tax advice for freelancers in Germany

    Yes, but remember that if it cost more than 487.90€, you have to depreciate the cost of the computer over 36 months.
  4. Buying a house in Germany

    Even though the law says that whoever owned the property on 1. January has to pay the Grundsteuer to the state, I'm willing to wager good money that the contract with which you bought the flat (= notarieller Kaufvertrag) contains a clause saying that expenses pertaining to the whole year that the seller paid have to be reimbursed by the buyer, with the relationship that has to be reimbursed by the buyer being: (days between "Datum Übergang Nutzen und Lasten" and 31. December) / 365 days   So, if for example, the "Übergang Nutzen und Lasten" (date your actually paid the price) was 15. May 2017, you would have to reimburse the seller: (365 - 135)/365 = 63.02% of the Grundsteuer for 2017.   So take your notariellen Kaufvertrag and look for that clause, it's standard.
  5. All profit from private sales. So, if for example, you sell some of your stuff on ebay, the profit (if you make any, that is) also counts towards the 600€.
  6. The Vent - No Chat!

    @lisa13 He's an amateur:  
  7. Filing a tax return - help on how to file

      You cannot claim for Arbeitskleidung, unless it is something that you could never wear in your private life, e.g. the white apron and wellingtons of a butcher.   If you want to claim for public transport, you need the tickets as proof. However, you can claim 0.30€ per km of simple distance between your flat and your place of work without any proof.   What you can claim for your move: real moving costs that you can prove through invoices/receipts, e.g. air ticket, shipping costs for your stuff + Makler (if you paid one) + miscellaneous additional flat rate moving expenses, no proof necessary: Umzugspauschale §18 Abs. 3 AUV: 1,095.94€
  8. Question about tax classification

    That won't work since - if she doesn't also have an EU citizenship - she will first need a residence permit (= Aufenthaltserlaubnis) in order to be allowed to register.   And that way you would miss out on the doppelte Haushaltsführung deduction. If she doesn't register right away, you can then still get the tax benefits of being married retroactively for the whole of 2017 - as long as she registers before 31. December 2017 - by doing a tax return for 2017. You would just get that money later, but you would get a bit more tax back than in your scenario, because of the additional deduction for the doppelte Haushaltsführung.
  9. Do cheap houses have any caveats?

    No jobs in those regions --> prices for real estate stagnate or fall.   If you want to read about such a case, look here:
  10. Various tax advice for freelancers in Germany

      If it had been something you bought in an EU country, the following procedure to recuperate EU VAT would apply: Since you bought it outside the EU, you should have paid German VAT in the form of the Einfuhrumsatzsteuer to the German customs office (= Zoll) when you imported it into Germany, and this Einfuhrumsatzsteuer you can claim for in your German VAT announcement, details somewhere in here: If you didn't pay any German VAT on importing it, you naturally don't get any VAT back.
  11. If the profit from these currency transactions, i.e. from the GBP that you bought and sold within 12 months, is 600€ or more in a calendar year, you have to declare it in Anlage SO, line 34 to 38. If the profit is below 600€, it is tax free.   If more than 12 months pass between buying and selling the GBP, the profit is free of tax, no matter how high the profit is, as long as you didn't keep the GBP in an interest-earning account (if you did, the cooling-off period is 120 months!).   See §23 (1) Nr. 2 EStG and §23 (3) Satz 5 EStG:
  12. In Germany, each Bundesland decides on its educational system.   The Bavarian school system is very traditional and didn't really change over time - after all, we have had an unbroken reign by the CSU since the 1950s, so "modern" theories like the Gesamtschule that was pushed by the SPD didn't have much chance.   Yes, we now have more children in the Gymnasium than before, but that didn't come about through a relaxation of standards like in the other Bundesländer, but through parents pushing more and more children who aren't really Gymnasium material into tuition (= Nachhilfe), starting even in Grundschule, just so that they make the 2.33 cut-off average mark in 4th grade in order to be let into the Gymnasium, and then even more tuition to keep them in the Gymnasium.   Back in my time (1980s), things were more relaxed - you either had the necessary grade average on your own, or you didn't. Parents simply let things take their natural course: the naturally bright ones (which, sorry if I offend some egalitarians here, meant nearly all the ones with academic parents, you cannot deny heredity, plus a few who were born bright to not so bright parents) went on to the Gymnasium, the others didn't.    From my elementary class of 30, only 6 including me went on to the Gymnasium, of which I was the only one with two parents with university degrees, two with a father with a degree, the rest from non-academic families but naturally bright. They had no help at all from home and still made the cut. That average was the "standard" average, 20% went on to the Gymnasium in my generation. Now it's around 38%.   ********************************************************   Of these 6, two later dropped down to the Realschule after a few years in the Gymnasium - yes, one of these two came from an entirely non-academic family, and the other one's dad had a university degree, but she discovered boys fairly early and lost interest in school.   Of the six, only one came into school not knowing German, she had a Greek father (a lorry driver) and an Austrian mother (housewife), and they had just moved to Germany in the middle of 1st grade. The girl spoke no German at all at the start (which was strange, considering the native Austrian mother), but she did pick it up, and being intelligent, managed to get the necessary grades to be let into the Gymnasium. She managed to get through the Gymnasium with average marks, but always hankered after Greece, and after finishing the Gymnasium, moved back to Greece, went to university there and there she still is as far as I know.   None of the Yugoslaw or Turkish children from my class got into the Gymnasium, but I did have a few Yugoslaws and Hungarians in my Gymnasium, and two Turks in my year who actually got the Abitur (untypical ones, the father of one was an engineer, but he still repeated two years. The other one had an uncle who was a general in the Turkish army - all hell broke loose when that boy went for German citizenship once he was 18, his family disowned him - he went on to study something social in Germany). Both boys born in Germany. The Yugoslaws and the Hungarians (again, all born in Germany) went on to do unspectacular Abiture, which meant that they ended up either moving back to their home country to study (one studied tourism in Croatia, a good idea considering her - of course - perfect German and the German's live of the Adria. The other one studied dentistry, also in Croatia, a Hungarian one medicine in Budapest - his Abitur mark was too bad to study medicine in Germany), or they went on to do apprenticeships in offices or banks. A 100% Greek actually managed to fail the Abitur, but she scraped through the next year - she then apprenticed as a nurse.   Of the naturally bright ones with non-academic parents, we lost a few along the way, one got drawn into a Marxist group by one of our teachers (who was very happy preaching Marxist values but living a bourgeois life as a Oberstudienrat - a hypocrite who spoiled quite a few young lives) and paid for it by having to repeat a year and losing his belief in himself. He ended up doing an apprenticeship as a bookseller - I came across him by chance in that bookshop.  I was really sorry about that spoiled life, he was the one with the most raw intelligence in our year - a pity.    Basically, having academic parents helps you in the Gymnasium in situations when you need something explained that you didn't understand from a teacher - but it also helped since these parents took care not to let their children fall into traps like that Marxist teacher. But yes, the top marks in the Abitur in our year were held by pupils from academic families.   ********************************************************   The situation now is that the heritage of the children is a bit more varied, and there are quite a lot of children in the Gymnasium from Indian blue card holders and Vietnamese ex-GDR-guestworkers - these children hold their own, no tuition needed. Academic success is important in these families and these children are taught to excel early. But again - these children were born in Germany, went to a German kindergarten and speak perfect German.   We again have the same group of children as before who are in the Gymnasium by their own ability - barring them losing interest along the way, these are the ones who make it to the Abitur and graduate with good marks. Of course, having academic parents helps, just like it did for the earlier generation.   Then we have a big group of children from half-German or 100% German families (often with parents who studied something "soft" like social studies and who are the first academics in their families themselves) who by rights shouldn't be in the Gymnasium, but whose German parents artificially pushed them into it by getting them tuition until they barely made the entry marks. My observation is that it's the German parents that insist on all this tuition, the non-Germans have more of a laissez-faire attitude. For these children the academically demanding Bavarian Gymnasium is hell, and as they advance in the Gymnasium, things get more and more difficult for them. They would be much happier in a Realschule, but their parents just won't let them. Best case, they will go on to a mediocre Abitur and will leave the Gymnasium broken in will - and maybe will go on to study something "soft" themselves (a big favourite is "etwas mit Medien" = something about media), but more often than not, choose an office-type apprenticeship.   ********************************************************   In conclusion: unless a child has a very IQ, and is also diligent and resilient, I would not take a 13 year old to Bavaria. Best case, that child will take a few extra years to advance from Mittelschule to Realschule to doing the Abitur at an advanced age (think 20).  And for what? Just to get the permission to attend university, something that child would could have had much more easily by staying in his home country's educational system.   Please also read: and:
  13. Got Evicted Without Notice and Belongings Removed

      As long as they do not charge more than 520€ in total this calendar year, that amount is free of tax, see R21.2 (1) EStR: (1) Werden Teile einer selbst genutzten Eigentumswohnung, eines selbst genutzten Einfamilienhauses oder insgesamt selbst genutzten anderen Hauses vorübergehend vermietet und übersteigen die Einnahmen hieraus nicht 520 Euro im VZ, kann im Einverständnis mit dem Stpfl. aus Vereinfachungsgründen von der Besteuerung der Einkünfte abgesehen werden. Satz 1 ist bei vorübergehender Untervermietung von Teilen einer angemieteten Wohnung, die im Übrigen selbst genutzt wird, entsprechend anzuwenden.
  14. Health insurance in Germany 2017..a belated update

      Now, now kiplette, only engineers who are lazy get a basting from me 
  15. Health insurance in Germany 2017..a belated update

      You don't seem to understand. The law, §193 (3) Satz 1 VVG, obliges any resident in Germany to take out valid health insurance.   That health insurance can be public or private.   As you saw above, in public health insurance, your monthly contribution is 175€ or more. Even somebody with no income at all pays 175€ for public health insurance. In private health insurance, your contribution depends on your age and health status, i.e. when you're young it's cheap, but gets more expensive the older you get.   As a resident in Germany you will have to bite the bullet and get health insurance, no way around it.