• Content count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

3 Neutral

About jongreig

  • Birthday 03/05/1987

Profile Information

  • Location Munich
  • Nationality United States
  • Hometown Ventura, CA
  • Gender Male
  • Year of birth 1987
  • Interests Currently postgrad student in ancient philosophy, with special interest in the Aristotelian, Platonic, and (currently) Neoplatonic traditions.

    In addition, rather large interests in sightseeing, beer, scotch whisky (in my current location), and especially outdoors—hiking, running, skiing (when in season), etc.

Recent Profile Visitors

1,714 profile views
  1. Many thanks for that @karin_brenig! I already did my American taxes last April (thankfully!), factoring in both countries, so that was fairly without issues. And you're right, I had to re-think the unbeschränkt steuerpflichtig bracket—I guess more than 6 months is the absolute cut-off. (At least that makes the choice fairly straightforward.) I did account for the likely higher income tax rate (despite my issues with the idea—why get charged a higher rate for work you didn't do in that country!—but whatever the case), so savings-/payment-wise I've got a rough sense of what to look forward to.   I didn't think about Austria though—I assumed being employed, and having worked 3 months in 2019 here, wouldn't make a difference—but that is definitely something I need to look into. Thanks for the heads up! EDIT: from the looks of it—I could be wrong—this seems to say I won't need to worry about doing a tax return or paying for taxes for income outside Austria if I've been a resident less than 6 months:   (But if someone knows or sees otherwise, please let me know!)
  2. Hi everyone. I'm a US/non-EU citizen who was doing freelance software development in Munich last year until the end of July 2019, when I moved out. I filed my Abmeldung with the KVR, and sent a copy with a letter to the Finanzamt—and I paid my Vorauszahlungen for 2019 then as well. Since then I started a new (employed) job in Austria in Oct. 2019.   That said, I was wondering how I should file my German taxes for 2019. Because I earned more than 10% of my 2019 income in Austria (~33%), I think I qualify as a beschränkter steuerpflichtiger Person—and unfortunately it looks like I can't file my taxes over something like Smartsteuer. Is this right, or would I fall into the unbeschränkt category? If indeed my case is beschränkt, does anyone know what forms I should file—or if there is any software I could use for this? Kind thanks in advance.