• Content count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

690 Awesome

About mako1

Profile Information

  • Location Haidhausen, Munich
  • Nationality USA
  • Gender Male
  • Year of birth 1968
  1. American Idiot   No, it is not about Trump. It is a musical written by Green Day playing for a few more days in Prinzregenttheater in Haidhausen (Bogenhausen boo!)   free earplugs!
  2. Diesel cars banned in Frankfurt

    It is well known that self promoting ecar drivers can leave a trail of smug behind them.
  3. Non payment from house sale

    think you narrowed down people who will provide any substantial feedback there.   What if you threaten to put it back on the market? If the sale is not complete, the Makler does not need to be paid, right?   But it sounds like the new buyer is making the sale dependent upon the planning permission, which should not be your problem. Give your Makler a swift kick in the ass (always a good recommendation).  
  4. As someone with a liberal arts degree (BA Econ, South Asian Studies), I can highly recommend getting a phd in the engineering sciences. That said, try at the US embassy/consulate. I have an old (liberal arts) classmate who ended up in the foreign service. Stamping passports with his phd.  If you speak German then there are good chances you get posted to, guess where... Bern, Dakar.. But the consulates seem to have job openings. Working in Germany is the bomb and any us citizen with a liberal arts degree who manages to get work should be thankful. Germany is full of very well trained people. Hals und Beinbruch!
  5. Only in America...

    I'll take your messiah and double down with a white haired pence jesus baby surrounded by nuns. He would in theory be replacing donald. Yikes.
  6. Inform unemployment agency about trip

    Your number of vacation days is pro-rated. The yearly is 3 weeks and so if you are ALG is for 6 months then you would have half of the three weeks.  You can go wherever you want, they don't care, but you need to tell the ArbeitsAmt that you will be taking your legally alloted vacation. In that period they will not expect you to look for work. And if they are organized they will not schedule you for a CV check on the like. Inform them, know how long you have and follow the rules. It is quite easy. Happy job hunting!   dj's link above actually allows you to notify the AAmt of your vacation. And it has some confusing possibilities. The 'rule of thumb' 3 weeks paid ALG vacation and always inform them. 
  7. The guardian is hinting that Hillary is getting ready to run, again. This might put all the dominoes back up again. In an interview she said something about over 50% of Americans geting their news from Facebook, and she wants to go after Zuckerberg. The saddest part is that 50% of American do not understand that it is not news if it is on facebook, and also sad is the fact the Democrats really don't have a plan to try to raise the internet literacy of Americans (Republicans of course benefit if people are under educated/misled). and to J2, of course Kashoggi was a journalist, or at least wrote articles for a reputable paper. Go back to masturbating furiously to Trump's 'I killed a terrorist' speech.  
  8. Hello Fraufruit, you payin' attention? Surely you jest. Seriously, these guys cry when they are in the majority and squeal when another party has the temerity to win an election. (Which they manage to avoid by cheating on elections since Nixon (watergate), Reagan (October surprise), Bush jr (florida recount), Trump (russians, less votes then clinton... ) etc etc.) The current crop of republicans are not really that interested in participating.
  9. are we out of dominoes yet?  
  10. About the employment situation in the city

    nah ja, the wife, who is way more successful than me in finding employment (and is, through no fault of her own, German) never signs her CV.    
  11. Only in America...

    Katie Hill, a democratic representative out of the LA suburbs, will be resigning her seat in the house of representatives in Washington DC. She has been accused of having an affair with a staffer which as of MeToo, is against the rules. Also, her ex husband, with whom she is having  a rather messy divorce seems, to have posted some rather undelicate fotos of her.   So the only person to be forced out of the US house of Reps for having an affair with a staffer is a woman.   While they all should follow the rules, it is a bit odd that in a male dominated chamber they have only found time to start to apply this rule to a woman is a bit disingenuous.
  12. Nirvana auf Boarisch

    The Münchner Kammerspiele just opened a new piece called 'Nirvanas Last'. It is worth seeing. The play is in German, the songs are from Nirvana but sung in Bavarian (some by an Australian). There are subtitles (above so don't sit in the first row, which for this play is the second row). If you have never heard 'Rape Me' (from Nevermind) sung in Boarisch as an alpine melody with Alpenhorn accompaniment, you have not experienced Munich. Hallucingens accepted if not encouraged.
  13. About the employment situation in the city

      Then Toytown would consist of a few minor notices and not much else...
  14. About the employment situation in the city

    Standard CV is signed in Deutschland, at least for professional jobs.  
  15. German right of way laws

    Sure, but the rules are otherwise.