• Content count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

3,520 Awesome


About kato

  • Birthday 08/15/1979

Contact Methods

  • Website http://katotravels.blogspot.com

Profile Information

  • Location Heidelberg
  • Nationality -
  • Gender Male
  • Year of birth 1979

Recent Profile Visitors

18,916 profile views
  1.   In Baden-Württemberg it's 80% of the standardized cost of a pupil at a state school (full-time education) that a school can get if it offers standard curriculum leading to a formal degree - this explicitly includes Waldorf Schools. Since this is paid per-student the actual percentage relative to cost of course depends on how economical the school is run (e.g. class sizes).   In return for this subsidization for these schools tuition fees for parents are capped. They basically have to offer a 165 Euro package for low-income parents as well as the option of getting a "standard curriculum" package (no fancy extras) for 5% of net household income.  
  2.   Depends on the school and most importantly the state. In Baden-Württemberg for example Waldorf schools are explicitly subsidized by the state, while Montessori schools are formally standard schools and thus also receive subsidies. International schools by comparison are usually not subsidized by the state, and leverage their costs in full from parents. Depending on state tuition fees may also be legally capped, at least for schools that receive subsidies and/or are legally acknowledged replacement schools for public education. Usually there tends to be an income-dependent fee table as well.   With all private schools of "alternative" kinds look into the educational concepts for the individual school itself - just because School A and School B are both Waldorf schools doesn't mean they even remotely do the same thing.
  3. Entering Germany during the restrictions

      The Meldebescheinigung only confirms the address at the time of issue, and has no regular expiration date since it literally only contains exactly that. Whether any person requiring a Meldebescheinigung accepts it as valid proof of current (!) address at any date other than the issueing date is entirely up to them, and for Behörden is usually addressed in internal regulations (with 3, 6 or 12 months being most common depending on the purpose).
  4. Entering Germany during the restrictions

    British citizens may enter Germany if they have their regular residence or domicile in Germany (this is limited to EU citizens, EFTA citizens and British citizens).   Note also that since April 10th anyone who enters Germany from any other country has to quarantine themselves for a 14 day period within their domicile, not being allowed to leave the domicile or receive visits from any person not belonging to their Hausstand. Additionally depending on state they have to report their entry with the local health authorities or police authorities. Exceptions to this enforced quarantine apply for people in system-critical professions under certain conditions such as typically a business-related trip lasting no more than 3 days abroad.   OP would likely be rejected at the border even with a "registered address" as their primary residence (5 days per week) is in the UK.
  5. Is magnet fishing legal in Mannheim?

      If you want to do it the legally proper way: Ask the local Untere Wasserbehörde, i.e. the City of Mannheim. In addition the Untere Denkmalbehörde will have something to say about it, which luckily for you is in the same Fachbereich in Mannheim. The answer will highly depend on how you word your intentions and which waters specifically you intend to plow.   Other than that, there's plenty of people who do it at the Neckar and Rhine without asking. Just saying.
  6. BAföG - Student loans/grants in Germany

    Don't really get the Bafög question. I mean, the tuition fees at Fresenius are - for most courses - already higher than whatever Bafög she would get. Hence switching from a course where she's getting it now to one at Fresenius where she might not get it is basically a double loss.   A few things to note: First thing to ask is whether this new course is accredited yet, and for what duration. And whatever they answer check against it here. Note: I'd say the same about a new course at a public university. At least in Hessen. Experience. If the Prof. says he'd start the course with 5 students it means he only has at most 4 students. Note however that Fresenius supposedly has a learning group (class) approach - unlike other third education institutions. Their groups are generally that small (because they don't find students), with often less than 10 in a group. It's not anything special with regard to this course. Milk them for every possible credit point she might get for previous studies. Including applying the usual "well, i'll have to check what we hear back from that other private university..." negotiation approach. Check into whether their tuition fee structure includes mandatory minimums and free extension of study time. Always consider whether and to what extent a degree from a private university is accepted by companies in the field and the particular branch she studies in in general. This also includes checking into whether in that field post-graduate studies (i.e. a Master degree) is typically required to "properly" work, because getting into such courses with a BSc from a private university may have her encounter some, ermmm, complications.
  7. The laws about employees and Kurzarbeit

      Nah, it's not overtime, if it's "tax-free" it's cash-in-hand illegal work.
  8. The laws about employees and Kurzarbeit

    Legally the salary to be taken into account is specifically the one for the month for which Kurzarbeit is applied for (i.e. if you're on Kurzarbeit in May and don't generate into commission then the minimum salary is applied as the base for the calculation).   If you're on partial Kurzarbeit (reduced hours) and do generate commission-based income then that component is only taken into account if it is regularly paid out within the month in which it is generated (i.e. e.g. annual boni or a quarterly payout does not apply).   §106 SGB III  
  9. Corona Restrictions

    Police around Heidelberg ... disbanded 12 aggregations above the cap last night, with groups numbering between 4 and 15 people. 77 people face criminal prosecution for violations of the Infection Protection Law (i.e. up to 2 years prison). closed down 10 restaurants serving customers in-place and closed 2 shops illegally open. They face penalty payments of 25,000 Euro each, on top of possible criminal prosecution. patrolled playgrounds and handed "scores" of children and youths encountered there over to parents.
  10. Corona Restrictions

      She could just have told them that bus trips are outlawed... there's a reason why Flixbus has suspended operations entirely.  
  11. Corona Restrictions

    Around here someone apparently yesterday pulled a pistol on some garbage workers after being told their recycling center is closed. Shots fired.
  12. Corona Restrictions

    State decree limits it further down to three in public places, families excluded.
  13. Corona Restrictions

    Next update for Heidelberg: Gatherings and aggregations of people on public grounds in groups larger than five people is outlawed. In gatherings of five people or less on public grounds a minimum distance of 1.5m is required. Use of force is announced to implement this if necessary. The intention behind this is to have the necessary legal framework to disband groups at places like the Neckarwiese riverside meadows, where groups do aggregate. The city planted dozens of signs prohibiting use yesterday, which have been largely ignored.   In addition Operating senior citizen meeting points, nail and cosmetic studios (other than hairdressers) and tanning salons as well as camping sites and information booths has been outlawed. Use of force to close such facilities if necessary has been announced. Shops that continue to be allowed to operate (e.g. supermarkets, pharmacies etc) have to ensure a distance of 1.5m between customers in queues  as well as ensuring that queues do not exceed five people. A penalty payment of 2,000 Euro applies if violated.
  14. Corona Restrictions

    Police in South Baden disbanded ten gatherings in public that exceeded the 50-person limit last night, the largest being 120 mostly young people.
  15. Corona Restrictions

      As a follow-up to that:   Patrols starting at 1 pm today in Heidelberg, inspecting which shops and restaurants were violating current rules, consisted of three detachments each consisting of four KOD officers and two state police officers.   From local newspaper:   In case you really want to know which is which: The ones with the vertical stripes on the uniform trousers standing by the car are the state police, the others with the long script on the back of their body armor (reads "Polizeibehörde") are municipal officers.