• Content count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

75 Very good

About Aihal

Contact Methods

  • Website

Profile Information

  • Location Munich
  • Nationality American
  • Hometown Seattle
  • Gender Male
  • Year of birth 1979
  • Interests Babel Fish
  1. American-German Dual Citizenship for Child

    Hi All, I believe @LeonG nailed the problem on is head. But with my broken German what I understood is that they have to choose between their US and German citizenship (at 18 I've been told)...  Maybe best would be to contact an immigration lawyer if the new Coalition doesn't relax dual citizenship laws.  
  2. Hi @MLmunich,   I think we are in a similar boat as you.. Was there any further development on this front?
  3. American-German Dual Citizenship for Child

    Reviving this thread... I have a slight variation on this one.   Today we did register our twin boys with the Amt.. and they argued that they are not American by birth and if we get them US citizenship, the kids will have to chose once they turn 18.   To give some background, I am a US Citizen living in Germany for the last 9 years (w/ Niederlassungserlaubnis) and my wife is a Ukrainian citizen. The kids are born here in Germany; so they earned the right to become a German Citizen but not necessarily inherited it through either of us.   Does this sound correct to you? Is there a way for the baby to retain both citizenship after 18?   By contrast the city said from the mothers side they inherit Ukrainian citizenship; and they can retain it indefinitely and don't need to chose between German vs. Ukrainian citizenship. To me it sounded like they make a distinction between how the US citizenship is conferred to these kids.   On that note, I will try to go to the US Embassy and get them recognized... and as far as I know the process requires the filling of the form of "Application for consular report of Birth Abroad of a Citizen of the USA" (DS-2021) shorthand CRBA.     Any lawyers in Bavaria you are aware that handled similar cases that we can get a consult ?