Editor Bob

  • Content count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

3,198 Awesome


About Editor Bob

  • Rank
  • Birthday 08/01/1974

Profile Information

  • Location Munich
  • Nationality British
  • Gender Male
  1. Refusing to pay TV license fees (Rundfunkbeitrag)

    I've lived in Germany since 1998 and have never paid GEZ or Rundfunkbeitrag. In 2014 I applied for German citizenship and it was granted a year later. During the application process I was receiving all sorts of Festsetzungsbescheide and Mahnungen, and I still do, but it's never been a problem.   Technically, unpaid Rundfunkbeitrag is not "Schuld". This is because there is no contact. You've never signed anything saying you'll pay and then not paid. It's the same reason you can not get a SCHUFA entry over it. SCHUFA is only for debt, but unpaid TV charges don't count as debt.
  2. Bitcoin - a decentralised digital currency

      Well you're just a ray of sunshine, aren't you.   The world has always been in crisis. Ask Billy Joel. Yet somehow humanity keeps moving forward and quality of life is currently the best it's ever been.   If the bitcoin price follows a similar pattern to previously then we'll see a blow-off top to ~€30k by year end, shortly followed by a crash to ~€3k. On the other hand, maybe this is not a bubble but the phase during which digital currencies go mainstream. In which case ~€50k bitcoin will soon be the new normal.
  3. Hiking in the Bavarian Alps · Next one: TBD

    Hirschberg (1670m, 13km, 900hm)Hauptbahnhof Platform 33, at 07.50 am on Saturday 18.Nov.2017. 01) CandyQuackenbush02) Jenn Gilbert03) EB04)...10)--Max--
  4. Bitcoin - a decentralised digital currency

    People on forums and news comments pages all over the world are having identical discussions to this one.   I've come to the conclusion it's political. If the fiscal policy that Bitcoin proposes doesn't line up with your own political leanings on economic/monetary policy, then no amount of discussion will convince you otherwise.   It seems like large portions of the population will simply never accept Bitcoin as a viable currency. No matter what price it rises to, or what level of adoption it reaches, they'll always claim it's a hazzard to society or merely a pyramid scheme.   And that's fine, because Bitcoin is opt-in. Unlike government-issued currencies, nobody is forcing you to use it. So those who want to use it will do so, and those who don't won't. There'll always be tension between the two sides, but as with all tension, an equilibrium will eventually be reached and life goes on.
  5. Bitcoin - a decentralised digital currency

    Yes. Plus there are other solutions in place. It's not like a $200 billion dollar industry has accidentally overlooked these gotchas.
  6. Bitcoin - a decentralised digital currency

    Yeah, if my assessment is wrong, then I don't want to be right.
  7. Bitcoin - a decentralised digital currency

    Why? Because Bitcoin and similar digital currencies add tremendous value. It is innovative technology that dramatically improves the efficiency of money transfer.   These currencies enable instantanous sending of money, anywhere in the world, almost for free, and without risk of censorship.   Try sending euros from Germany to China and let me know how long it takes and how much you pay in fees.   Try receiving a million euros from China and let me know what your bank or what PayPal has to say about that.   Bitcoin disintermediates the financial system from banks and governments, just like Uber disintermediates the taxi companies, and BitTorrent disintermediates the record companies.   Sure, it's not perfect. There are problems with it. And no, the banks/governments definitely won't relinquish power easily, of course not.   But they can't ban it. A ban is unenforceable. They'd have to shut down the internet.
  8. Bitcoin - a decentralised digital currency

    I didn't expect it'd go up this high and this quick this year either. I still think decentralised digital currencies will eventually surpass old-school government-issued currencies. Just like email and other digital messaging has surpassed snail mail. There's no predicting the bumps along the way though.   BTC price is climbing faster and faster every day now. In the past it has always done this just before a massive crash. That €1 of yours could go to €15 this month, then down to €3 next month. Or another digital currency could take over completely. There are 1,250 of them, with a combined market cap approaching $200 billion: coinmarketcap.com
  9. Bitcoin - a decentralised digital currency

      That's what people thought when it first hit $100. And again when it hit $1,000. They'll say the same when it hits $10,000, and again at $100,000. It's a mathematical certainty.
  10. RIP Uncle Nick

    I am so sorry to hear this. I only met Uncle Nick once in person, but of course I've been reading him on the forum for over a decade. He was a good chap and deserved longer on this Earth than the brief spell he was given.
  11. Hiking in the Bavarian Alps · Next one: TBD

    Tegelbergkopf (1567m, 9km, 700hm) Hauptbahnhof Platform 31 at 7:30am on Sunday 08.Oct.2017.   01) CandyQuackenbush 02) Olga  03) Basak 04) Jatski 05) EB 06) ... 10) --Max--
  12. Refusing to pay TV license fees (Rundfunkbeitrag)

    This is not a law, as has been clarified many times.
  13. Refusing to pay TV license fees (Rundfunkbeitrag)

    You're safe. Just ignore the letters. Make sure you keep them, don't throw them away, but don't answer them either.   They definitely won't catch up with you in six months.   Make sure you "abmelden" properly when you leave Germany. I don't mean deregister from the TV license, but do deregister from the general Meldeamt. This will "stop the clock ticking" on your license fees. Otherwise, if you don't deregister, the TV people will think you're still here, and 20 years later if you return to Germany they will demand 20 years worth of payments. Even if that does happen, it's not serious. It's not like they won't let you into the country. It's just that after you move here, and live here again, they'll start sending you letters again, this time with 20 years of backpayment demands.   TL;DR Ignore and don't worry.
  14. Bitcoin - a decentralised digital currency

      Today's your lucky day.  
  15. Refusing to pay TV license fees (Rundfunkbeitrag)

      There's actually no legal obligation to react. There's no law of the land that says "thou shallt pay a TV license fee".   It's a subtlety, but the only legality involved is that the government has given permission for the Beitragservice to issue demands.   The government has not ordained that citizens must pay. Rather, they've ordained that the Beitragservice has permission to ask the citizens to pay.   And if you don't pay, the Beitragservice is cleared to use standard debt collection measures to attempt payment enforcement.   As I say, it's a very subtle distinction, and the difference is lost on most people. Which is partly what makes the system so insidious.   So you're free to not pay. You're free to ignore the letters. Neither way are you committing a crime.   I also moved recently. And I have also received the letters to my new address without me directly informing them. My residence Ummelden data was forwarded by the Meldeamt, the same as it is with everyone. But I'm still not paying.   I've been in Germany 19 years now, and I've never paid a cent (or a pfennig) and have never been arrested or jailed or fined or lost credit rating or anything else because of it.