Latest activity

This stream auto-updates   

1. Past Hour
  2. Coronavirus

Weird, because in Portugal it is quite common to use it. Is it that awkward in English?
  3. The 2020 US Presidential candidates

Jeff, why do you fall for fake news, mate?    The tweet below tries to make out that Trump spent the whole time playing golf and did not honor the fallen.    That is false.   Just as false as the idea that Biden spent the whole weekend laying wreathes.    Watch the news video below to find out what really happened, eh!      Just because you don't like him, don't go posting fake news, please.           
  4. President Donald J. Trump

I would not care for someone who acted in such a way in the first place... just syain'
  5. Coronavirus

I would disagree.  The primary definition of Racism is, "a belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race."  (Merriam-Webster)   It can also be used to describe the act of discrimination based on the above belief.   Xenophobia is, "fear and hatred of strangers or foreigners or of anything that is strange or foreign" (M-W)   Xenophobia is unreasoned fear/hatred (that is why it is classed as a phobia), but it's not the act of discrimination.  One can be racist/bigoted/prejudiced without being fearful, and one can discriminate without being fearful.   So, racists can also be xenophobes, but xenophobes aren't always racist.  Therefore, it seems to me that one cannot say that racism is a type of xenophobia.
  6. Alternative titles of threads

Cat rentals in Ingolstadt
  7. Today
  8. President Donald J. Trump

I find this type of mockery to be so incredibly, extremely offensive.  What comes out of DJT‘s  mouth and his actions are what makes him such a morally bankrupt rogue.  Belittling him based on his physical characteristics is stooping to his level, and it‘s not ok!  Think about how you would feel if you or someone you care about was bullied in this way.  
  9. That ad will NEVER lose relevance.
  10. Car rentals in Ingolstadt

There are some threads on the site from Indians who have either converted their licence or started from scratch.  The ones who have converted say they had problems with car rental, insurance, etc.  Some said they got round this by asking to keep their Indian licence, and were successful and got it back (stamped that it had been converted to a German one).  The one's who had gone the expensive route of just doing the whole German licence thing got to keep their Indian licence, and the car hire people seemed happy with that.  
  11. Car rentals in Ingolstadt

Thanks to clear it up, I didn't know the terminology. I will contact my service provider.
  12. Declaring fatherhood

Brazilian citizens do not need a visa to enter the Schengen Area under normal, however, I'm not sure if the Corona regulations would be an issue.   I would recommend sorting out the birth certificate and passport first. Find out how difficult it would be to sort out the paternity paperwork at a later date and then decide when you want to do it.
  13. Strange behavior at Deutsche Bank

Off topic:  I did a project in Chicago at Pepsico and visited one of their bottling plants.  They were filling Acuafina that day and I asked where they got their water from.  The plant manager pointed to a large valve on the wall and said, "We get our water like everyone else in Chicago".  Open tap, fill bottle, sell bottle.
  14. Strange behavior at Deutsche Bank

That article is from 2009, - a couple of years later they decided not to go ahead with such a phase out.    My relatives are generally using the same tradespeople for work on owned property, so they are happy to take them and have the regular custom and income, even if the money only goes into their account a little later than with another form of payment. Presumably for a large job which is paid for in cash, they have to go to the bank anyway to bank the money.
  15. Coronavirus

Guys, the language tends to change and you cannot influence it.   xenophobia is a weird Greek word not so easy to pronounce. Racism is simple.   If you really want to be so pedantic, here is a list of words in English language which were created by spelling mistake: https://www.merriam-webster.com/words-at-play/false-divisions-words-formed-by-mistake/what-is-metanalysis   For example, an eckname became a nickname So what? Who cares?
  16. Hi everyone,   I submitted my citizenship application yesterday (Berlin-Kreuzberg) and, like many others in this forum, petitioned to keep my US citizenship, invoking the "unzumutbare Bedingungen" argument. I'm self-employed, so the gross/net distinction gets to be murky, and the legal provision leaves room for interpretation. One immigration lawyer I contacted wouldn't even meet with me about it. Another basically just told me that there is, indeed, a gray area in my case but that my chances would be greatest if my income puts me somewhere hovering around Sozialhilfe level. He recommended I simply present my arguments from my perspective and involve a lawyer only if an appeal were to become necessary. Obviously, I'd like to avoid that to begin with.   So, I wrote up a detailed argument explaining that my gross profit (Reingewinn) isn't comparable to the gross monthly income (Brutto-Einkommen) of a salaried employee. If nothing else, my 'Vorsorgekosten' (health insurance + retirement) are double since I have to pay the 'Arbeitgeber' half as well (approx. 18.5% total). I also pay voluntarily into the state retirement scheme and private Rürup fund (again, including the 'Arbeitgeberanteil') because this was a) a condition of my application for permanent residence and b)) is to avoid poverty in old age (which you would think the state would applaud). This is another roughly 18.5%. And because I'm not entitled to any state disability coverage in the event of an accident etc., I also pay for a private disability policy. I also pointed out that building reserves is especially important when you're self-employed. In my situation, a gross profit of around EUR 3,000 would net me roughly what a salaried employee with a gross salary around the 'unzumutbar' cutoff of EUR 2,100 would have, give or take a hundred euros or so.   The case worker appeared unimpressed. After patiently reading through my explanation, she said she doubted I would succeed but that I was more than welcome to try. I mentioned that my average income had decreased significantly compared to the previous fiscal year. She said that could, in fact, work in my favor but that would be determined later when they start processing my application and review my current financial situation again based on the most recent 12 months of income. She still seemed confident that my business profit would be treated exactly the same as an employee's gross salary, which I find a little hard to believe. My question is basically how much gross profit a freelancer can earn  -- especially one who has statutory health insurance -- for the bureaucrats to take this argument seriously. Thanks for your help.   Cheers.
  17. deleted, accidently posted reply in wrong spot. sorry.
  18. Declaring fatherhood

The Portuguese Embassy site says it is only dealing with urgent cases and birth registrations not considered so.  They direct people to their Facebook page.  Consulado Geral de Portugal no Rio de Janeiro   This states " The registration of infants (babies up to two years old) was greatly facilitated through the creation of a specific direct channel registronascimento.cgrio@mne.pt" for people having difficulty using electronic systerm.   So it might be worth sending an email to this address if you have not already done so.  
  19. Coffee table, IKEA Lack

IKEA Lack table, wooden color, 90x55cm, good condition. Pick up in Haidhausen, at Wiener Platz https://www.ikea.com/de/de/p/lack-couchtisch-eicheneff-wlas-50319029/
  20. Coronavirus

Racism is a type of Xenophobia. As @Sannerl rightly said, the Xenophobia definition is wide enough to encompass discrimination against ethnicities. No need to change the meaning of racism. We already have a word for it, let's use it!
  21. Coronachat - vents, whines, flummoxes & miscellaneous

There were also many huge pool parties, cookouts, etc. with no distancing or masks. In my own state, SC, there was a big disco party with about 100 but it was on private property so the law enforcement couldn't do anything about it.    So all the lockdown, lost jobs, etc. just don't matter any more for those that have been doing the right thing.
  22. Declaring fatherhood

The Portuguese embassy in Brazil has not yet replied to our calls or emails. In the likely event, the baby ends up with a Brazilian passport initially we are assuming the Baby would need a Visa to come here initially? 
  23. Coronachat - vents, whines, flummoxes & miscellaneous

Beach goers helping the US to achieve herd immunity: https://www.businessinsider.com/beaches-packed-memorial-day-weekend-crowds-flout-social-distancing-warnings-2020-5?r=DE&IR=T   Massive crowds gathered at beaches over Memorial Day weekend, drawing warnings from authorities on Sunday about people disregarding the coronavirus social-distancing rules and risking a resurgence of the virus. In the Tampa area along Florida's Gulf Coast, the crowds were so big that authorities took the extraordinary step of closing parking lots because they were full. In Daytona Beach, Florida, gunfire erupted Saturday night along a beachside road where more than 200 people had gathered and were seen partying and dancing despite the restrictions.   I did not use the "Only in America.." thread, since I am pretty sure this will also happen in Europe.
  24. Strange behavior at Deutsche Bank

Well, they were meant to be phased out in 2018[*], but that got tangled up in an administrative quagmire. They are still working on it.  In 2018, apparently cheque usage was down my 20% wrt 2017, I couldn't find numbers for 2019.  That's not 'wide-spread' and most traders would really prefer you didn't write them a cheque, if you do use a traceable method of paying them they very much prefer a bank transfer. When I opened a new account at NatWest 2 years ago, I did not get a cheque book.  Maybe it's different in the country side or for old people, but times have moved on here.   [*] http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8414341.stm
  25. Declaring fatherhood

The baby just needs a birth certificate to get a passport and a passport to come to Germany. As an EU citizen the child doesn't need a visa.    The only thing you need to clarify is what paperwork the authorities want to see in order for them to put your name on the birth certificate.    Maybe you can try the Brazilian Embassy in Germany as well? 
  26. Load more activity