Latest activity

This stream auto-updates   

1. Past Hour
  2. Brexit: The fallout

Pot, meet kettle.
  3. Brexit: The fallout

Source?   What does "political' mean now?   Absolute statements with no qualifiers.    
  4. Climate change discussion

Agree.  The CNN and Nat Geo articles sensationalized the issue with fire counts.  Unfortunarely, nobody objected to this methodology until same methodology went against the narrative.   How many years has data been collected and what is the statitstcal significance?   Given that a major trade agreement might be delayed over these fires, one would think that such relevant details would be available.      
  5. I am Still waiting Mr Morane...  
  6. Climate change discussion

Anyone here tell me how to correctly dispose of old solar panels? 
  7. Today
  8. Climate change discussion

If you knew anything about Angola, you would know that it is mostly a Savanna and open grassland, not dense forest! The comparison is stupid because it identifies number of fires, not considering the size of them, in terms of burned biomass.   There are thousands of small fires ("queimadas") mostly due to small farm agricultural fires, to burn leftovers or to prepare land for new crops.
  9. Jokes

10. Brexit: The fallout

The press have called this "Meatloaf Remainerism".    "I would do anything to stop No Deal Brexit, but I won`t do that."    
  11. Worst jokes ever

Q. What goes 99 click 99 click?   A. A centipede with a wooden leg. ...
  12. Brexit: The fallout

The bomb was political. It was outside the Crown Court. They do not have popular support but neither did the IRA at the height of the troubles. Certainly not universal support anyway.
  13. Mummy meet up

Hi Lucy, I live in Trudering with my husband and 8 month old little girl. I would definitely be up for meeting during the day with baby.    Stacy
  14. Proof of Language Proficiency Exception

You can of course take courses online and you can do self evaluation tests to check where you stand.    When you are ready to take a test, you have to book it and appear. I took a course at the VHS in my town and we were told that extra people would join us for the test.   This page  https://www.goethe.de/ins/de/de/m/prf/prf/gzsd1.html has some info on Goethe test locations and dates and also some training material and self tests.   Personally I never bothered with the test and until now never had anyone ask me for it. My workplace experience has been that as long as I can speak and understand, nobody is bothered what level I have.
  15. My list. What shall I miss: - weather (yes, I come from Portugal, but from the cold, wet, windy north) - courts, liability, insurance. You make a mistake, you pay for it, things work. Someone else makes a mistake, you get money. - public services - meritocracy - public parks, forests, etc - petty crime safety - house heating systems and insulation - Autobahn!   What shall I not miss: - food! - low quality supermarkets and their stupid closing hours - bread - German lack of politeness - shady eastern europeans/middle east, radical muslims, vegans, bayerisch village idiots, Porsche owners and others - can't wash the car on the street - house prices - German school system - poor house internal finishings (painting, electric installation, small details)
  16. Climate change discussion

Do a search on suzuki and meat and you will see some serious entitlement.  Starts around page 39.  
  17. Brexit: The fallout

Was this event viewed as a political act, an isolated incident by an individual or group working alone, organized crime, or some other explanation?   Years ago, The Economist speculated that the GFA was positive, but that some of the financing of the Irish Republicans had been basically generated through organized crime and that the GFA would not put an end to what was a very lucrative cashflow.   The thuggery would continue even without a veneer of political justification.    Do the people responsible for the current violence and/or the people who are projected to initiate violence if a secured border goes up have popular support ?
  18. Ah Keefy, does that make you a Fen Tiger? :) The region between Cambridge and Bedford is unique. I holidayed on a boat on the Great Ouse and Cam years ago and loved the place.
  19. Yesterday
  20. What made you laugh today?

IDK, but that dude looks way too happy to have one functional eye.   They need models that look like this..      
  21. Brexit: The fallout

Us pensioners who haven't worked or paid nat.ins.in Europe look like we're really getting shafted by a No Deal. Loss of reciprocal healthcare looming. Just imagine the same happening to pensioners back in Britain who'd paid nat. insurance and taxes all their working lives. There would be uproar.  The problem is we're all too nice. I've a good mind to forward all my health invoices to the Whitehall Dept. 
  22. Brexit: The fallout

If the Tory rebels genuinely want to stop Johnson and his idiocy, they will ignore Merkel's 30 day offer (which was just to humour Johnson).  They need to put party differences behind them, just to stop this idiot Johnson. Just support anyone who can command a majority in Parliament. Anyone will do. Even Corbyn. 
  23. Brexit: The fallout

If the Tory rebels genuinely want to stop Johnson and his idiocy, they will ignore Merkel's 30 day offer (which was just to humour Johnson).  They need to put party differences behind them, just to stop this idiot Johnson. Just support anyone who can command a majority in Parliament. Anyone will do. Even Corbyn. 
  24. Next Badminton is 27.08.2019 19:30-21:30        The closing time for reservations is Midnight on SATURDAY. Booking: Please sign up below. Please note that all names down at the deadline are committed bookings! Please ALWAYS specify the times you wish to play e.g. 19:30-20:30 Important: Please do check back here on the Monday evening after 23:00 for updates before turning up! We may have to adjust your preferred times if too many sign up for the courts we have available! Please copy this post and add your booking.     1. Colin 2000-2130 2. Leni 20:00-21:30 3. Sonja 20:00-21:30 4. Markus 20:00 21:30
  25. Moving company recommendations

Malt-teaser, the last topic that came up in my search was dated back to 2016. Not much good there. generalmartok, thank you so much but we need something bigger than a van (3 room apartment) geordilad24, I got quotes from the following companies: - Loogo umzüge: no google reviews and a bit expensive estimate -Umzugscenter: cheap quote but only limited to a driver and a van - Transporte MV: Cheap quote but google reviews are really negative (maybe thats why they are cheap) -As-Trans: So far the most expensive quote but very professional approach with so much attention to detail Will keep on looking I guess
  26. Grew up in the UK flatlands (East Anglia), where the artesian water was pretty hard - kettles etc had to be regularly de-scaled.On the other hand, the amount of calcium in the water meant I had very few dental problems as a youngster, but when the family moved to Birmingham (supplied by soft water from Welsh reservoirs) I started to need a lot more fillings, unfortunately administered by a sadistic bastard who didn't believe in anaesthetic injections beforehand :-( For drinking, I preferred the hard water, unless I happened to be in mountain areas where the water from soft-water streams (i.e. Wales, Scotland) was cold, fresh and utterly delicious.
  27. Hi   I am recently planning to buy a house from 1963 however the heating got changed in 2017 to Gas and also the electricity. Since the change no one has stayed there regularly and on my request the present owner has created an energy certificate(attached). Also I have attached the report after heating change for KFW promotion.   My question is  1. How to read the KFW report . 2. How accurate is the energy certificate given the fact that the usage was irregular after the heating change. 3. How to increase the efficiency of the house Below are some facts a.The windows are already double pane wood window. b. Roller shutters are already present. c. The attic is not developed. There are some woolen insulation layed over the floor of the attic and also the inside portion of the roof.   I am not looking for some big renovations. I have added the required files in the Google drive.  https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/10eSqBABYQDrY8kLhv036RM2rWu_nj5xp?usp=sharing
  28. Load more activity